Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickups

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stickups

Okay crappie gurus, here's a couple of pics from a local reservoir lake.

This is a reservoir lake, water temp is about 75 degrees and probably around 9-10' of water. Mean depth is probably 15' or so. Level is dropping daily as it's being taken to winter pool. Would you fish this area? What bait or lure or jig? How you would you present it?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

check out the thread above this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldn't fish it until the water stops dropping... I have never had any luck when the water is dropping. Good Luck at Missy!
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

I would look for bigger stumps or standing timber to fish. Those stickups look skinny and don't look like alot of cover for fish to hide. If the lake doesn't have any bigger wood, or is full of that kind, I would vertical jig close to the wood. Soft plastics or hair jigs, depends on what they want.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to try it a few times just to find out for myself.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on water clarity . If well colored water verticle jig . If it's clear stay back and cast jigs under a bobber.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

while it is dropping I would stay on the edges of the timber close to the deeper water and also it looks like deeper open water between those groups of timber and there may be a ditch there that will hold them....I have pushed an area down here that looks real similar and found them hanging in the ditch between the timber....a slip cork w/jig or minnow or jig tipped with minnow can be cast and worked slowly through the timber....let it hang and twitch next to the trees.....just gotta work it till they tell you the way they want it on that day
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

What I see is two areas of small timber. Looks to me like there is a hump out further from shore with a deeper area between the two timbered areas. I'd want to see what the depths are like and probably assume there are small trees in the deeper water as well, and I'd look at the water on the ends of the hump as spots to fish.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shine Runner View Post
    while it is dropping I would stay on the edges of the timber close to the deeper water and also it looks like deeper open water between those groups of timber and there may be a ditch there that will hold them....I have pushed an area down here that looks real similar and found them hanging in the ditch between the timber....a slip cork w/jig or minnow or jig tipped with minnow can be cast and worked slowly through the timber....let it hang and twitch next to the trees.....just gotta work it till they tell you the way they want it on that day
    I agree with Shine Runner
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

been fishing stuff like that for years, tell you what a man in Mississippi told me ,, fish them skinny sticks, all of them, crappie do not necessarly like big sticks, it works for me in missouri, truman lake is like the picture your showing and we fish the skinny water and sticks all the time, and do well,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast