Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: braid for shooting docks????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Default braid for shooting docks????????????????

Im thinking about using Power Pro braid on my dock shooting rods.Has anyone tried this and if so what were the results.
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Braid and hi-vis skeers the squat out of my Crappies!!! If it aint fluoro... it aint Diddley Squat!!!

... but then, my fish are are highly pressured and educated on what not to bite... an ignorant fish will bite anything!

... I would LOVE to find a mess of big ignorant Crappie!!!:p... I'm thinkin' Miss. or Tenn. would be my best bet for that, the Crappie take after the human population in those areas yanno!:D

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave, call me if you want to try some before you go and buy.I have a few different sizes and brands.
    GCF, Even with a flouro leader you wouldn't believe the intensity of the strikes. You should try it once on some dumb fish.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. and the offer Skeet. At least I got a straight answer out of you Skeet.As for GCD you might be right about the hi vis yellow spooking the fish. I have never caught a crappie on the yellow line, always on the hook tied to the line.
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Braid and hi-vis skeers the squat out of my Crappies!!! If it aint fluoro... it aint Diddley Squat!!!

... but then, my fish are are highly pressured and educated on what not to bite... an ignorant fish will bite anything!

... I would LOVE to find a mess of big ignorant Crappie!!!:p... I'm thinkin' Miss. or Tenn. would be my best bet for that, the Crappie take after the human population in those areas yanno!:D
    GCD, you don't know RICHARD:rolleyes:
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that my brother uses Power Pro braid shootin docks for crappie and loves it!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid, with a flouro leader for shooting docks...no problems.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Trash ....

Quote Originally Posted by trashtrout View Post
    Im thinking about using Power Pro braid on my dock shooting rods.Has anyone tried this and if so what were the results.
    I've used PowerPro 10/2 Hi-vis for several years now ... and I've shot docks with it, too. And I'm talking Springtime prespawn/spawn period .. on fairly heavily pressured fish. When I'm not using the PowerPro .. I'm still using hi-vis lines (mono) and still haven't seen a time when the Crappie shy from it. I do fish stained water lakes, but even they sometimes have 2-3ft surface depth visibility.
    I've caught fish on PowerPro, in the cold waters of Nov., too.

Here's a few things that you might want to consider :

Using a larger reel (larger than a UL, or one with a wide or longcast spool) ... the line shoots better coming off a bigger spool.
    Using a slightly heavier action rod (like a ML or Med) for a better rod load up ... it will skip the bait better/farther. You won't have to jerk as hard to get a good hookset, either.
    If you just can't train yourself to not "nail'em" on the hookset .... back off on your drag just a bit. The "no stretch" qualities of braid can rip the hooks right thru a fishes face ... but, a slightly loosened drag will compensate. Even if it slips on the hookset, the "no stretch" factor should have already rammed the hooks home.
    Use a rod that has ceramic inserts in the guides ... cuts down on the "buzzzz" noise that you can get from metal/alloy guides.
    If you're not already doing so, try a weedless jighead & plastic body .... you can drag it thru the brush & across the underpinnings of the docks, with less chance of hanging up.
    When using braid ... having a pair of Fiskar Childs Scissors is a good idea. They cut braid easily, and they cut it "blunt" ... which makes it easier to put thru a jighead line eye. The scissors are small & inexpensive.
    When using braid ... having a dowel, or a towel, will save your hands from injury. Wrapping the braid around your hand, to pull free a hungup jig, can cost you a nasty cut !! Using your rod handle (if cork or foam) may cause a cut in the handle material.
    When putting braid on a reel ... leave 2/3 of the old mono on the reel, tie the two lines, and finish filling the reel with your braid. That keeps the braid from slipping around on the arbor, plus keeps you from having to use a whole spool of braid per reel.

Braid will twist ... but, it's not affected as much by it, as mono.
    You might want to make a long cast, out into the lake behind you, after an hour or two of casting/shooting ... and wind the line back on with tension from your thumb/forefinger. Braid casts/performs best when snugly wound on your reel ... loose line or loops will cause you problems.
    Braid is lighter than mono ... so it's affected more by wind. Overhand casts should be a smooth motion, rather than a 'wrist snap' cast. This will cut down on wind knots and loop snarls. Braid will tend to float, more/longer than mono ... and wet mono clings to just about anything it touches :D (so you might need a slightly heavier weight, when using it with a slipfloat)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Stren just came out with the new Microfuse Iceline Braid in some skinny sizes too, all the way down to 4-1 and you can get it on a 50yd. spool just for trying out instead of 150yds.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

After making the braid switch I haven't had any issues with not getting strikes just due to the braid. I spend quite a bit of time just casting around blowdown; I use braid and my wife uses either mono or fluorocarbon. We both seem to get the same number of strikes regardless of type of line. The biggest advantage that I've seen with braid is the extra strength lets me flatten my hooks in the event of a hangup. The lakes that I fish don't receive that much pressure and the water is stained with a little bit of a green tint which matches the green braid though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast