Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gpsmap 76

Post Thanks / Like

Default gpsmap 76

Did a search and found lots of info on gps units and it seems this one would be a good choice for me. I'd like to ask anyone who has this unit a couple or three questions but first I'll talk about my intended use.
    For fishing; I can get turned around in my bedroom and the most important thing to me is setting a waypoint when I launch on a big lake so I can find my way home. Of course I would also want to set waypoints if I find someplace worth coming back on the water.
    From what I read, the unit has 8 meg of internal memory, will it handle the inland lakes software? I assume you can pick and choose which lakes to load, or at least which general area?

For Hunting; mushroom hunting that is, If I can get lost on a large body of water you better believe I can get lost in the woods. Once again, I would like to set a waypoint back to my car and surely set one if I find a nice stash of morels.

How long does it take to load different maps? In the spring I can see mushroom hunting and fishing on the same day trip. How is the unit in the woods, can it get a good signal in heavy cover?
    And last, likes or dislikes?

Thanks

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I have a garmin gps 76 Cx and it works great for fishing. Waypoints are easly put in and easy to use. Only use for fishing on large lakes and it always gets me home.

Post Thanks / Like

The Map76 is a good unit but the Map76Cx has a color screen and a newer, faster and more accurate processor. They usually come with a base map that will have a general outline of most larger lakes. You can also add maps with a mini-SD card but I've never fooled with them. The problem you may run into with using a map is that the screen is pretty small so you have to zoom in to get any detail and then you're only looking at a small area. It will work very well for setting a waypoint to get back to and should pick up well enough in the woods to lay down a track and find your way back the way you came. They are hard on batteries - carry an extra set wherever you go. You can get a power cable that plugs into a cigarette lighter type outlet and you can get a Marine Mount so you can use it "hands-free" while you're fishing. Be sure and enable the "WAAS" capability so it will bring you back to brushpiles or other underwater cover and structure you when you save a waypoint. The WAAS is disabled by default so if you ever reset to "Default Settings" you'll need to change it again. You don't really need WAAS to get back to something you can see but without it you'll have trouble getting back to anything you can't see.

Another setting you may want to change is the Map Orientation. The default setting is "North Up", which keeps north at the top of your screen. I prefer "Track Up" (or whatever it's called on that unit), which keeps the the direction you're moving at the top of the screen.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you

When buying something like this for the first it's so hard to make a good decision or even to understand exactly what you're buying. That's the great thing about forums and people who are willing to share their experience. I don't know if the CX is in my budget but maybe if I save my pennies until spring it will be. Thanks for the reply and knowledge.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

You can probably pick up a used Map76Cx for around $100 on eBay - maybe $150 for a new one. I used the Map76 for several years and it's a good unit. It would work for what you want to do. I've moved my Cx to my console for getting close (so I don't have to split the screen on my HD7 or switch back and forth from sonar to GPS) and use a Garmin Map431 fixed unit on the front deck. The 431 has a lot bigger, brighter screen so it's a lot easier to see. But, I'm 4 or 5-feet away, which is a lot different from having it right in front of you.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

the 76 is a accurate unit,can`t go wrong

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 76. It was my first and I bought it refurbished from BPS for under a hundred. It's always given me the info to get back home. Jerry was right on about the battery use and buying a lighter plug. I was gonna buy stock in Duracell. About 10 hrs to a set of batts, and they won't be there for a second trip on a set. They always went flat early into the second use. Good luck in your search.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I got a refurbished GPSMAP76 on EBay a couple of months ago for $109. I like it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to do a search and find some older threads. Jerry posted some great info a few years ago.
    My tip is to choose a good location to mount it. I originaly had mine low in my boat to deter theft. but, it kept loosing the signal. Once I mounted it higher, it has worked great.
    If NIMROD dosen't respond here, post a question on the Arkansas board. He uses a less expensive unit and has good results.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."