Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artificial baits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Artificial baits

Hello All
    Kind of new to the site but so far have enjoyed reading almost everything on here. I'm not much of an artificial bait user but had about 300 bucks to spend at the BPS shop and bought a lot of tubes. Sliders and some other items. Is there a site that will tell you how the correct way to use these and how to rig. I usually just use minnows under slip bobbers.
    Thanks
    Mike Perry
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mperry
    Hello All
    Kind of new to the site but so far have enjoyed reading almost everything on here. I'm not much of an artificial bait user but had about 300 bucks to spend at the BPS shop and bought a lot of tubes. Sliders and some other items. Is there a site that will tell you how the correct way to use these and how to rig. I usually just use minnows under slip bobbers.
    Thanks
    Mike Perry
    Hey mp,

Welcome from central Illinois!

Like you, I've been mostly a minnow under bobber type, but am wanting to learn other techniques. Found this site and I think we're in the right place

I've learned quite a bit since I've been here, but have'nt had a chance to put it to some good use (not much of a winter fisherman)

Do some searches in the forums and ask all the specific questions you want, I'm sure the folks her will be happy to jump in and help you out

Good Luck To Ya!!
    mixham

Ride To Work ... Work To Ride

Post Thanks / Like

mperry,

I'm with you on that. I have been a minnow guy too and yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that when I see alot of these artificial baits I just don't really know what to do with them. I'm the same way with all of the different type "rigs" that are usually named after states for some reason :D. I'm sure many fish have gotten quite a few laughs after seeing what I have dropped in the water. I'm learning as well and having fun doing it.
    Last edited by tiger9297; 02-01-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Artificial baits

I hope I can get some pointers here. I usually go to Ky. Lake at least once a year in the spring and it seems that spider rigging, which I also don't know how to do, and fishing with tubes is the way to go. I never seem to catch a lot of crappie while I am there so I thought maybe seeing something different other than a minnow might improve my odds some. Willing to learn but just don't know where to start.
    Mike
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

I've found my greatest tip to be "less is better". Try 4# or even 2# line and don't worry about losing lures or the occasional biggun'. More fish will bite and the enjoyment of catching a slab on 2# line will get your heart to thumping.

Post Thanks / Like

There is not a lot of difference between fishing with jigs/tubes and minnows. First make your basic decisions: deep/shallow, stationary/moving, clear/stained, tightlining/casting. Then decide on the size/weight of the lure you are going to use. Do you want it to fall fast or slow and flutter? Are the fish finicky (smaller lure) or aggresive (pretty much anything). If you are tightlining (vertical fishing) use jigheads with your body of choice or tubes. Whatever you choose for tightlining will also work for trolling. For casting, I prefer a jig with a spinning blade (Roadrunner). As always experiment! Try different color combinations and different sizes/weights until you find one that works.

Post Thanks / Like

Mopar,

You say to try different colors and combinations. My problem is that if I'm fishing and I'm not catching anything (happens alot) how do I know if I'm using the wrong color or if there just aren't any fish there. I do change colors from time to time but I don't have fish fighting for my bait. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Color, what a subject! I too don't know how to pick out the right color, most say dark days dark colors and sunny days light colors. Yesterday was a good example for me, I had some red/chartruse and purple/chartruse tubes on my jigs from last time and it was a bluebird day and all I had caught was about 6 or 8 the first 2 hrs, changed over to blue/white and pink/white and caught 24 for the day in about 5 total hrs fishing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well guys ... let me just say

that you're in the right place to learn the many different ways to fish for Crappie !! But, for now, let's not focus on what to use or how to use it. Rule #1 is "you can't catch what isn't there", so you have to find them. Study up on the fish, itself ... habits, habitats, preferred foods, preferred water temps & conditions, and how all that relates to your waters of choice. Learning about your prey will give you the confidence to eliminate a lot of searching in areas that probably won't hold fish, without beating it to death with lures/bait to find out. And let's not forget the food source, that sustains the Crappie !! Learn what particular species are the main food source of the fish in the waters you choose. Learn what their habits are, and how things affect those habits.
    Once you've got a base knowledge of where the fish "should be", under the given conditions, and what "food" they're most likely to be after ... then, choosing the right lure or bait will come a lot easier. You simply imitate or use that particular "food" to entice the fish to take your offering. And you utilize the particular method, that allows you to present that offering in the most successful manner.

Some places to get some good info -
    http://www.crappie.com/tips.html
    http://www.crappiestuff.com/crappie_articles.html
    http://www.bnmpoles.com/newsletter/index.html
    http://www.gameandfish.about.com/fis...nfish-fishing/

And don't let the variations in the info, provided by these articles & tips, give you cause for frustrations & doubts ........ the more varied the possibilites, the more successful ways there are to use. Yes, it can seem a little overwhelming at times ... the old adage of "so many ways - so little time" expresses that feeling. And the saying .... "that's why it's called fishing ... and not catching" expresses the reality of many a trip to our favorite waters. But, with time and experience, added to the wealth of information that is available to you ... here and on related websites ... you're a lot closer to the success of "catching", than those anglers that simply "go fishing".

Asking questions is the name of the game, here on Crappie.com - and you can get a wealth of information from the membership. Our pursuit of this fish is our common bond ... how we go about it, and what we use is as varied as the weather. Having fun doing this thing called Crappie fishing, is what keeps us going back ... time after time. Putting all the pieces of the puzzle together and having a successful trip is the goal. .......... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

i used to use red and white tubes alot. now i seems like i use red and chartruse alot.when i went to lake enid red and chartruse was the color that i saw being used alot i have 25 colors or more in my tackle boxs just for crappie. i almost never use minnows in the spring look for trees thats laying in the water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast