PDA

View Full Version : 3D Sonar and Sidefinders

ILUVCRAPPIEFISHIN
02-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Those 3D Fish Finder units by Hummingbird and the sidefinder units look really cool. Does anyone have any luck using them?

MTM
02-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a Fishing Buddy and all I can say is it is great. It not only looks down but to the side and you can set it to let you know if a fish comes into the area. I would bet I have upped my catch by 30 percent with the one I have. While it will not tell you the type of fish it will let you know there are fish there and in which diraction they are and how far. If there is a stump say 20 yards to your side it will tell you if there are fish holding on it. I have never figured why more fishermen have not started using these? It seems to me it is very important to know what is out to your side not just below you. And the Fishing Buddy does both. I have an older model and the newer one's are even better as my son has one of them. He has the newer #4200 it sells for $219.00 The one I have sold for about $100.00 I have had it for several years. There is still one model that sells for that price. You can just hang them over the side of a boat and you are ready to do. Good Product in my view. Cabela's carry them :) Ron

bluewater
02-01-2006, 12:40 PM
I also have the Bottomline fishing buddy. The reason I like it is for the the side finder. If it says there fish there believe me they are. Now for the down side is the cone is 9 degree, which is great because that is a very narrow beam. Therefore the bottom is 9 degree which means your not looking a squat. In 10 feet of water your looking at 1.5 feet of the bottom. Not great but the batteries last 40 hours.

jimfish
02-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Those 3D Fish Finder units by Hummingbird and the sidefinder units look really cool. Does anyone have any luck using them?

Been using hummingbird side finder for years using it now in 400tx .I have mine on portable tranducer for side looking.Tried the switch to let you use two tranducers on one screen didnt last long, got a sep.400tx it. I will start using it around 1 mar. and use it all summer.Wont fish over 10ft until this fall,Also i think humming bird has 27deg cone angle and lets you see out to120ft. Good Luck

bluewater
02-01-2006, 01:54 PM
OK maybe a little mis-understanding here. The 9 degree cone means that in 10 feet of water(under the boat) u only see 1.5 feet of the bottom. (20 feet of water (under the boat) u see 3 feet of the bottom. MYside finder has ID fish up to 240 feet away. (supposely)

TwainGang
02-01-2006, 02:35 PM
http://www.wmi.org/messageboard_pictures/other_topics/49144.jpg

If this is what you are talking about- The new generation side imaging, I would only think they would be the next best thing to being able to look into the water over long distance. The problem is- these units cost about 2 grand! But- I've seen some pictures that are unbelievable!

Here are some crappie over a bridge support: http://www.wmi.org/messageboard_pictures/other_topics/49046.jpg

I got these from the Bassfishing Home page Other Topics pages. Thanks go out to the original posters of the pics.

ShilohRed
02-01-2006, 04:12 PM
I ordered one of the sidescan depthfinders today. Sure looking forward to seeing what I can find using it.
Will let you know when I get to use it.
Pete

unknown 5
02-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I also have an older Fishing Buddy II unit and find it usefull. I have a Humingbird Matrix 37 that is supposed to have a side view transducer you can buy for it. I am tempted to invest in it.

bluegilln
02-01-2006, 08:51 PM
I have one of the Humminbird 987cSI's. It is awsome. I can see crappie condos 200 ft away at least. I have used mine about 20 hrs so far and it does take some time to really get a grasp on what you are seeing. The PVC trees do not show up at great distances, but their shadow is still there. I have gone over areas I have fished for years and saw things I never knew was there. All those hours and I was 50ft off the best place, AGGHHHH! It was expensive and I had to save for a while, but it is worth every single penny.

ShilohRed
02-01-2006, 09:12 PM
That is what I ordered this am. Sure look forward to getting it.
Also any pointers on mounting everything where it will be easy and work right?
Also does it have an external Antenna for the GPS? Or is it built in?
Also what kind of memory card does it take?
Pete

I have one of the Humminbird 987cSI's. It is awsome. I can see crappie condos 200 ft away at least. I have used mine about 20 hrs so far and it does take some time to really get a grasp on what you are seeing. The PVC trees do not show up at great distances, but their shadow is still there. I have gone over areas I have fished for years and saw things I never knew was there. All those hours and I was 50ft off the best place, AGGHHHH! It was expensive and I had to save for a while, but it is worth every single penny.

jcd
02-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi,

Is that the humminbird 987 csi combo you guys are talking about?

Jeremy
Bye

ShilohRed
02-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Yes that is the one I was talking about.If it was me your talking about.
Pet

jcd
02-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi ShiloRed,

The one that is a couple grand?

Jeremy
Bye

bluegilln
02-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Pete,

The instruction booklet leaves out a whole bunch of information, or I'm just a really bad reader. Go to wal mart,best buy and get a SD card, at least 128Mb. You are going to have to update the software first thing and you will want to save some cool pics. You can get a free download at humminbird when you register your unit. I mounted mine so that it is high and dry when running on plane($250 transducer). Keep in mind there is a 1/4 second delay and you have to be moving about 3 - 4 mph to get the clearest picture. When you toss out a marker pitch it 4 ft behind transducer. Just make sure your lower unit does not block it, the trans. is longer than any I have seen. I marked brush with a buoy and then drove past it from different angles and distances to get a feel for distance from the boat. To save a pick go to the bottom of the gps setting menu, this is from memory so I may be a little off, and turn the export? setting on. When you hit "mark" it will save the gps location and a pic of whatever is on the screen to the SD card. The unit comes with the gps rec., I was wondering that too. If you have any questions just ask, I will try and answer. If you want to see just how good this thing works drive past a catfisherman's trotline. You can actually see the drops off the main line. I actually did this at KY lake 23 ft of water, couldn't believe it. I drove over that trotline 5 or 6 times, just had not figured out how to save the pics when I did it.

Big George
02-02-2006, 05:56 AM
You are gonna love this unit I have a friend up in Illinois that found a lady that drove off a pier into the Missisipp 3 years earlier that they couldnt find He found her with this unit in less than a hour I have seen sunk boats, cars, all kinds of stuff that just looks like a brushpile in regular sonar I am tolde that this technology cant be duplicated for at least 6 more years from a source at Humminbird and best of all it is upgradable to the very latest technology with a simple cable hookup to download the unit from your pc It will take time to learn it and when side scanning going 5-7 miles a hour will give you the best pics or does for me and I most usually only scan to the right at 75 feet works best for me

ShilohRed
02-02-2006, 06:12 AM
It is high. Bit I found it for $1715.00. Still a lot but if it does what every states it does. It will be worth it.
Pete

Hi ShiloRed,

The one that is a couple grand?

Jeremy
Bye

ShilohRed
02-02-2006, 06:35 AM
Bluegilln, Man that did it. Can you say Is it here yet? Sure hope they get it shipped out today and the little brown truck gets here early Monday.
Would like to get it on the boat and play with it at least one day. AS we leave for Cumberland City Tn on Thursday. Fish for 3 days and come back home.
Thanks for all the great info, And sounds like it is cheating.. LOL But that is OK. I will not tell...
I have 2 SD cards for the Sony camera. I sure hope they work. As our Sony TV will allow me to see the pictures on it. So It should be cool to look at the pictures of the lake on the 52" TV..
How long was it before you could fish again after getting the unit? I know I have some many places that I would like to see with it..
Just think, I can fish my trot lines and not even take them up to see of fish is on them.. LOL Now I will have to check that out.
Guessing it will help to start out with water that I know well. Will that give me a better ideal of what I'm looking at?

Big George That is where I first heard of the unit. They has a husband and wife on TV. This couple were per fishing for a catfish tournament on the MS and found the car. Hummingbird let them have a new update that cleared up the picture . That did it for me..
Guessing that when your scanning 75ft to one side you are running the standard finder on the other side ? Or just letting the 75ft run on the whole screen?

Also did both of you mount it straight to the console? Or use a different mount?
This thing is almost as big as the top of my console.

Pete

bluegilln
02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
I got a free ram mount with mine. I made an aluminum bracket for it to sit on till I get the ram mount modified to hold the gps rec. and I think I'm going to go ahead and get one of those wireless modules for it. Now, if I could just get it to drive the boat and clean fish.........

Chris

Big George
02-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Red you just split screen and set it how you want it I have mine set so I can look at the regular sonar on the split screen while scanning to the right I keep a bouy handy if I see something under the boat I just toss a bouy and make a circle and side scann the area I just marked with just a push of a button you can go to full side scan screen or full sonar depends how you set the settings It is to good that you can take a pic and scroll the graph and review what you took a pic of If you get one between BlueGill and myself we should be able to help you work out the kinks if not I have a big gun that can!!!!!!!!

Big George
02-02-2006, 06:17 PM
I forgot I got a big ram mount for mine from GPSZONE.COM the guy will even custom build one if you need it. due to the size of the unit I went with a bigger than normal rubber ball that is about the size of a big golf ball

bluegilln
02-02-2006, 06:27 PM
BigGeorge - Don't you ever wonder what your missing out the other side of the boat? My ususal set-up is 90 ft out each side, full screen. I can pick up good detail, I hardly ever use the sidefinder on split screen because of the loss of resolution.

Big George
02-02-2006, 06:55 PM
I use both but using the right side suits my style of fishing I guess. It is wild when you see a entire lay down tree under the water with the rootball on one end and limbs on the other almost all the time when I find this like this the fish are mostly congregated near the root ball. I have tried to prove this unit wrong from the start and I really cant fault it when I see fish in the imager I usually catch fish. Do you fish the stuff that is tight to the bottom mostly or do you look for stuff that casts a shadow I love to find 45 degree trees even if they are somewhat tight to the bottom it is always great place

bluegilln
02-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I have only had mine about a month and I have been traveling alot for work. I have not fished many trees, finding too many stake beds and you don't get hung as often so that is where I have been focusing. I have an Aqua-vu and I can tell you that this thing shows you what is there. I really like the stuff that comes up off the bottom aways. Have you seen any stumps with white halos around them? Those halos can be schools of fish. Must have seen 20 catfish on 1 stump in early Jan. with the camera after not being able to figure it out with just the graph. How many spots have you gps'd since you got it? I'm guessing I have added 30+ on two lakes.

ShilohRed
02-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I got a free ram mount with mine. I made an aluminum bracket for it to sit on till I get the ram mount modified to hold the gps rec. and I think I'm going to go ahead and get one of those wireless modules for it. Now, if I could just get it to drive the boat and clean fish.........

Chris

What do you mean? I though for this price it has auto pilot and also catches and cleans the fish.. OOhh well that would be Way 2 easy...

Pete

ShilohRed
02-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks Big George. I may be asking a lot of questions. And hope to get a lot of water time on it in the next few weeks.
Also when you run up on a Tree with the root ball, Does the fish show up as fish or just white spots?
Would help to know what to look for then seeing it for the first time..LOL

When you find stake beds can you see the fish in them? Man watch out lake here I come..
Pete

bluegilln
02-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Pete,

I can't see the fish, but I don't freeze the pic and look for them. I usually just fish the structure. Most of my time has been spent scouting, so far. It is so hard to fish with this thing, you're driving to your next spot to check out one you have fished for years, and all of a sudden 75 ft to your left are 7 condos you never knew were there. So you gps them and make a few casts but they are a little shallow. Then you fire up and start heading to your spot again, whoa, isolated stump on the edge of the creek channel, well I'm here might as well mark it and get a good gps locale. Now start heading back to your spot again, hey I didn't know that tree was there and so on and so on. The fish just show up as white spots but if they are big enough you can tell which way they are facing because the "spot" is tapered.

Big George
02-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Your last post said it all Gill

ShilohRed
02-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Thanks now I see theres no fishing for a while. LOL
But just wait I can see it now. Fill the 987 and the 76 full of waypoints.. LOL
Pete

Dickieboy
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Pete,

Did you mean $1,750? Heck if $175 is right I'll have to get me one. Just another adult toy but sounds like fun.

Anticipating a report from you on how it works on the Pickwick headwaters.

Jamey

ShilohRed
02-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Jamey that is $1715. Yes one more toy. LOL And I hope to mount it in the am. and hit the lake around lunch.
Will give you a report when I get where I can use it good. And that will be after I graduate from Hummingbird U. Take a few classes and learn all the stuff on this baby.
Also have to run to town in the am and pick up a card for it. my camera card will not work on it.
Pete

Pete,

Did you mean $1,750? Heck if $175 is right I'll have to get me one. Just another adult toy but sounds like fun.

Anticipating a report from you on how it works on the Pickwick headwaters.

Jamey

jhef
02-06-2006, 09:15 PM
could you mount your transducer on your trolling motor instead of pointing down point it forward, and get a similar effect? sure it wouldnt be close to the 987 butsomething similar, that side view would be great in these smaller creeks thats 100 feet wide, you could troll and see everything on both sides..is their a cheaper side view available ,,, getting harder and harder to hide my new toys from the wife lol

zappaf19
02-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Can they see under docks with them?
Bill

bluegilln
02-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Bill, I never tried to look under a dock yet. But I can see under two river barges tied side to side to the bank. So I have to assume it would look under the dock.

ShilohRed
02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Well I got to use my 987c Si today. And all that I can say is wow. This thing is the best.
I found rocks as big as cars and whole logs that looked to be around 50ft lone in 40ft of water.
This was in the River with lots of current. Can't wait until I get to try it in the lake next week.
And you can bet i will be looking under docks to see if I can.

Pete

JIGJERKER
02-08-2006, 04:08 AM
It is high. Bit I found it for $1715.00. Still a lot but if it does what every states it does. It will be worth it.
Pete

where did you find it for 1715.00.thanks in advance.

ShilohRed
02-08-2006, 07:06 AM
where did you find it for 1715.00.thanks in advance.

Here is a link to it. The place is in NY but mine was shipped from Memphis Tn.
Wish i could have found that out. As I payed for 2 day shipping and it came ground.

Also has anyone had the cover blow off when on the road? Just checking to make sure it will handle the extra wind.
Pete
PhotoConnection.com and put in 987c Si in the search box.

Jerry Blake
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM
I keep a Velcro strap on the cover on my Lowrance to keep from loosing it while going down the road. The cover has a warning sticker on the inside that it may not stay secure at high speeds. The strap is made for bundling/storing extension cords and the like - has an opening on one end to loop the other end through - works well.

bluegilln
02-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Pete,

I have no trouble with my cover coming off going down the road. Glad to hear you like it, I knew you would. The more you use it the better you will like it. So, was it worth the $$?

Chris

ShilohRed
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Pete,

I have no trouble with my cover coming off going down the road. Glad to hear you like it, I knew you would. The more you use it the better you will like it. So, was it worth the $$?

Chris

I will say I hope everyone does not throw there $$ on one. AS all it will do is allow you to find all the cover..
And yes i can say its well worth it and would buy it again even after only one day of use.
Only problem I have around 10 people waiting in line for a demo... One of them from this board.. LOL
Also one guide is going to get with me and try it out. Think I could charge for the work? HHAHA Make some of the money backl

Pete

Dickieboy
02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Pete,

Knowing the amount of time you spend on the water and already 'know' the waters you fish, a positive report on this unit from you is making it REAL hard for me to not get one. I have done several hours of research on the side imaging feature since this post started and it is really amazing. Not sure how appropriate it is for catfishing but can really see how it would be great for gettin on the crappie.

Now I just have to figure out a way to convince Cindy that I need one (and how to justify the $$). How'd you do it with Marilynn?

Jamey

Big George
02-09-2006, 05:11 AM
Hey Red I went thru a giant school of Spoonbill the other day on the lake d***dest thing ya could see the fish the long bill and could tell very well that that was the kinda fish it was Oh yea just wait till a lil warmer water comes and the crappie are suspended around the bruchpiles that you fish then you can quickly weed out the good piles from the bad with a simple passover

ShilohRed
02-12-2006, 09:12 PM
I fished the Cumberland river the last 4 days and let me tell you. The D/F and me found lots of whole trees. And you could see every limb and even root ball.
Its is great, And can't wait to see what I can find on Pickwick this week.
Also found a few nice brushpiles in a creek yesterday. hanging off a creek point in 12ft of water. And about 15ft across.
PEte

Hey Red I went thru a giant school of Spoonbill the other day on the lake d***dest thing ya could see the fish the long bill and could tell very well that that was the kinda fish it was Oh yea just wait till a lil warmer water comes and the crappie are suspended around the bruchpiles that you fish then you can quickly weed out the good piles from the bad with a simple passover

ShilohRed
02-12-2006, 09:15 PM
I took her fishing and let her catch all the fish. LOL
If its for fishing its good. And she is all for it.
James you have to see this thing. Its unreal what it shows. And after using it on a river I have never been on for 4 days. and catching fish when the locals were not. Its just that much better. :D
Come on down and take a demo.. LOL
Pete

Pete,

Knowing the amount of time you spend on the water and already 'know' the waters you fish, a positive report on this unit from you is making it REAL hard for me to not get one. I have done several hours of research on the side imaging feature since this post started and it is really amazing. Not sure how appropriate it is for catfishing but can really see how it would be great for gettin on the crappie.

Now I just have to figure out a way to convince Cindy that I need one (and how to justify the $$). How'd you do it with Marilynn?

Jamey