Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Sonar and Sidefinders

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3D Sonar and Sidefinders

Those 3D Fish Finder units by Hummingbird and the sidefinder units look really cool. Does anyone have any luck using them?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Fishing Buddy and all I can say is it is great. It not only looks down but to the side and you can set it to let you know if a fish comes into the area. I would bet I have upped my catch by 30 percent with the one I have. While it will not tell you the type of fish it will let you know there are fish there and in which diraction they are and how far. If there is a stump say 20 yards to your side it will tell you if there are fish holding on it. I have never figured why more fishermen have not started using these? It seems to me it is very important to know what is out to your side not just below you. And the Fishing Buddy does both. I have an older model and the newer one's are even better as my son has one of them. He has the newer #4200 it sells for $219.00 The one I have sold for about $100.00 I have had it for several years. There is still one model that sells for that price. You can just hang them over the side of a boat and you are ready to do. Good Product in my view. Cabela's carry them Ron

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the Bottomline fishing buddy. The reason I like it is for the the side finder. If it says there fish there believe me they are. Now for the down side is the cone is 9 degree, which is great because that is a very narrow beam. Therefore the bottom is 9 degree which means your not looking a squat. In 10 feet of water your looking at 1.5 feet of the bottom. Not great but the batteries last 40 hours.
    The Crappie are always biting better yesterday - I'm always a day late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVCRAPPIEFISHIN
    Those 3D Fish Finder units by Hummingbird and the sidefinder units look really cool. Does anyone have any luck using them?
    Been using hummingbird side finder for years using it now in 400tx .I have mine on portable tranducer for side looking.Tried the switch to let you use two tranducers on one screen didnt last long, got a sep.400tx it. I will start using it around 1 mar. and use it all summer.Wont fish over 10ft until this fall,Also i think humming bird has 27deg cone angle and lets you see out to120ft. Good Luck
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

OK maybe a little mis-understanding here. The 9 degree cone means that in 10 feet of water(under the boat) u only see 1.5 feet of the bottom. (20 feet of water (under the boat) u see 3 feet of the bottom. MYside finder has ID fish up to 240 feet away. (supposely)
    The Crappie are always biting better yesterday - I'm always a day late.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Side Imaging

If this is what you are talking about- The new generation side imaging, I would only think they would be the next best thing to being able to look into the water over long distance. The problem is- these units cost about 2 grand! But- I've seen some pictures that are unbelievable!

Here are some crappie over a bridge support:

I got these from the Bassfishing Home page Other Topics pages. Thanks go out to the original posters of the pics.
    Last edited by TwainGang; 02-01-2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: add picture

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered one of the sidescan depthfinders today. Sure looking forward to seeing what I can find using it.
    Will let you know when I get to use it.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I also have an older Fishing Buddy II unit and find it usefull. I have a Humingbird Matrix 37 that is supposed to have a side view transducer you can buy for it. I am tempted to invest in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the Humminbird 987cSI's. It is awsome. I can see crappie condos 200 ft away at least. I have used mine about 20 hrs so far and it does take some time to really get a grasp on what you are seeing. The PVC trees do not show up at great distances, but their shadow is still there. I have gone over areas I have fished for years and saw things I never knew was there. All those hours and I was 50ft off the best place, AGGHHHH! It was expensive and I had to save for a while, but it is worth every single penny.

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I ordered this am. Sure look forward to getting it.
    Also any pointers on mounting everything where it will be easy and work right?
    Also does it have an external Antenna for the GPS? Or is it built in?
    Also what kind of memory card does it take?
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by bluegilln
    I have one of the Humminbird 987cSI's. It is awsome. I can see crappie condos 200 ft away at least. I have used mine about 20 hrs so far and it does take some time to really get a grasp on what you are seeing. The PVC trees do not show up at great distances, but their shadow is still there. I have gone over areas I have fished for years and saw things I never knew was there. All those hours and I was 50ft off the best place, AGGHHHH! It was expensive and I had to save for a while, but it is worth every single penny.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast