Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for boat

Hey guys I am looking to purchase a boat for catfishing/crappie fishing. I have $1000 to spend. What can I expect to get for that amount or should I hold off and try and add to it. I am a big guy so I dont think a jon boat would do for me.

Thanks in advance

Glen

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't rule out a jon, at least one with a 48" or wider bottom, and
    20" or better sides, if you otherwise think you'd like one -
    a friend who used to fish with me tops 350, and me pushin 200 hard,
    even with an overnite trip's camping gear, we never had any problem.
    (18', 52" bottom, 20" sides)
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    I wouldn't rule out a jon, at least one with a 48" or wider bottom, and
    20" or better sides, if you otherwise think you'd like one -
    a friend who used to fish with me tops 350, and me pushin 200 hard,
    even with an overnite trip's camping gear, we never had any problem.
    (18', 52" bottom, 20" sides)
    All the Jon's ive seen round here have been about 12-14' long narrow and very low sides. I will keep my eyes open for a larger one.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 16ft. fiberglass boat w/ a 50 hp Evinrude, and foot operated trolling motor on a dilly trailer for $400. It is a 1971 model, and of course it needed some work. Mainly a new floor. The rest of the work I did was purely cosmetic. The engine ran perfect, but AFTER I restored everything I found out that the lower unit had a problem that was going to run around $500 to fix. That was a little more than I wanted to spend on that motor so, I started looking and found a Johnson 85 for sale that had been on a pontoon boat. I bought it from a dealer for $650 and he guaranteed it. He installed it for another $150. I repainted it and had a sign shop make me some decals. That was 2 years ago. It is overpowered but it will absolutely FLY!!! I have even skiied behind it quite a bit. Today my rig looks brand new, and I've got no more than $1800 in it. Remember though, a large part of that expense was cosmetic ie. paint, carpet, new seats, etc. My father in law has an Xpress w/ an 80 Yamaha and yes, his boat is nicer and newer, BUT it also cost him around $12k and he is still making payments on it. Mine is just as fast, if not a little faster, and has just as much room. Also, its kinda neat when people walk by and you hear them say "man that boat looks brand new. I know it's not, but it looks like it is!" Good luck with your purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Save the money and make ONE purchase that you will be happy with for YEARS. Don't spoend the $$$$ then it not be what u want, cause then you have to sell it, usually at a loss and then do this all over again!!!

AS I've said before and I'll say it again...WIDTH WIDTH WIDTH...16 feet 60 inches on bottom will be hard to beat!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Man you need to keep your eye open down here in Arkansas for a boat. Quality duck hunting appears to be a thing of the past and there are a bunch of guys that have some nice boats they are going to be selling. Should be a couple thousand guys wanting to unload some boats and give up duck hunting ducks.

Just an idea.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no telling how many crappie have come over the side of my 14' jon. Also, some of those duck hunting boats make very good crappie boats. They are plenty wide for stability. Like gooch said, there should be some fairly resonable boats for sale this time of year. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny Gooch. You're probably right. Anyways depending on the waters you'll be fish'n a jon should be just fine. You should be able to find one for sale or setting up somewhere. I've done both. I bought a 18ft Hydra-Sport bass boat with a Mariner 150 2-stroke. Motor ran like a dream, but the guy had sold the lower unit. It sat under trees for three years. Had moss growing in it. I checked the hull, floors, transom, and offered him 1200 for the boat, motor, trailer, and foot control troling motor. Took it home, blew the trash, carpet, and moss out with a pressure washer. Got lower unit $500 installed and warranty. Put in carpet in. Less than $100. So for $1800 I was fishing and she'd run 70mph. Guy gave me $1000 another 12' boat with 15hp motor(brand new), trailer, troling motor and I traded him. Took the thousand bucks put it down on a brand new boat, and I keep it forever. Good luck
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at a boat today and might try to take it out on the lake Sunday. It is a 19ft fiberglass very deep V bottom with a mercruiser straight six inboard/outboard. He is asking $1800 for it. Its a 1974 modle. Floor is solid and the overall boat looks in good shape. Hasn't been in the water in over a year though. What do you think. Its more of a fish/ski boat which is fine cause I want to be able to have fun as well as fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't buy it without test driving it! I would shop around alittle more though.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast