Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weiss Lake Help

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weiss Lake Help

ok, going over to Weiss for the first time this Saturday. THe weather is cold and very windy. 20mph out of the West.

Thos of you who live and fish it, my plans are to launch at JRs. But, I noticed that is facing the west on the east side of the lake. Should I launch say at H and H marine and fish the Chatooga, or think about Bay Springs launch and fish in that area? Just don't want to get into any dangerous situation. I have a 21' stratos, so it handles rough water pretty well, but each lake is different. I know it gets shallow out of the channel.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    If the wind gets up at all, you want to avoid the open water between yellow creek and JRs. Little River just out from JRs is usually out of the wind, but I don't know if the fish are there now or not. You may consider fishing Cowan or Spring Creek area if the water is back up. I haven't been there in a while, but I can tell you that wind = a bad day on the water a Weiss. There is a place down the river and across from Bay Springs that is good when it is windy. I forget the name of the place, but I fished there with +30mph wind. Good Luck and let us know how you do.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

I go to Weiss pretty regularly. They have been catching some in Little River hanging around 6' in 10-15' of water. If the wind is up, the open water can look like the Atlantic Ocean escpecially around Cedar Bluff. I like to fish Cowan Creek and you can cover a good bit of it now, but with the water down 5' I don't think you could get around in Spring Creek.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Where would you guys launch you boats? I would feel JRs would be one of the worst places due to wind. I woul dthink Bay Springs would be better, but are the fish going to be in that area?

I wish I had my map in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weiss

David, Weiss is a lake that is hard to get out of the wind. A 10 mph wind can be bad on the lake. You may want to consider Yellow Creek to put in at, if you want a less windy place to launch. Fishing can be pretty good in there and the wind might not be so bad. Be very careful on water depths. The lake is down to 588 and regular pool is 564. Most of the channels are marked pretty good, but even some of them will be shallow. Will be there myself this coming Saturday.. If the weather is good.

Post Thanks / Like

David most of the fishing reports are giving bay springs area as the best fishing right now. I would unload at bay springs as there are several coves on the opposite side that have been producing fish. If weather gets bad it is the shortest distance to get loaded back up. Bay springs has a good break on the right hand side going out to main lake and there is pretty deep water in the bay also. You are close enough that you can run to yellow creek as they have been catching fish there. I would not put in at the canal as somtimes it gets hit by thiefs. Hope you catch a bunch but leave me a few as I will be down mid march.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks fellas

if any of you are planning to fish Saturday, I plan to get there sometime in the morning and eat breakfast somewhere. I have decided to fish out of Bay Springs area. Looks like there might be someplaces out in the lake to get against a bluff and try to get out of the strong 22 mph wind. Looks like the wind will die down a little later, so might jsut give it some time. Hope the forcast shanges a little. Man, that is a rough way to fish a lake for the first time.

Anyone else fishing Saturday?

Post Thanks / Like

Weiss and wind can make for a bad day. Bay Springs is a good place to fish David.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Launch at state dock at leesburg

David,
    we've been catching fish on Weiss for several days now.
    Launch at Leesburg launch. (go between the citgo and the post office follow the road to the end) great launch site with no problems.
    Go up the canal and under the bridge. stay on the left bank and follow it into the first cove (they call it churchhouse cove) troll jigs about 3/4 mph varying the speed to 1 mph the fish usually hit the jig when you slow down slow then take off or in the turns. always vary the speed is the key to success.
    as far as the wind goes you can get out of it enough to fish there most anytime.

hope that you have good luck

Dockshooter

webmaster
    www.crappieunlimted.com
    www.alabamachampionship.com
    Dock Shooter

Post Thanks / Like

ok, I am looking at my map. I am kinda confused.

I think you are telling me to launch at Leesburg Marina which is before I get ot the city of Leesburg. (hope it is deep enough for my heavy stratos)

go out into the lake and go up the canal and unde the bridge.

On the map, that broad area is called Anderson cove I think. If I went up a little further there would be hawthorns cove and then Chestnut cove.

Is the Alabama launch on the other side of Lessburg in Bay Springs a good launch? or is Leesburg a better launch?

Are you using 16th ounce jigs?

Thanks for your help. I am going to check the weather and if Sunday is better, Brad and I may put it off one more day. The forcast is calling for 22+mph winds.
    Last edited by David Waters; 02-01-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast