PDA

View Full Version : And we are back!

Slab
09-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Unreal, I test the upgrade yesterday, and it went well. I perform the upgrade tonight and it goes well too. I get done, and I notice that yesterday they provided a new release. Well, I went ahead tonight and installed it too! We are on the absolute latest version of vBulletin. Hope you like it.

I still have all sorts of changes to make, styles, templates, adding a gallery. But, the basic function is there. We are back on the air!

Fish Stick
09-15-2010, 04:11 AM
We could hire our own midget, even shorter than his.

hankll
09-15-2010, 05:17 AM
I went over the road truck driving, and finally got my laptop set up for WIFI, and when I went to check in for the Tennessee forum, it came up not there. Now I see we had an upgrade(Yea!) so maybe the Tennessee forum is just not re-established?

EDIT: Ok, it is still there, but must have a different URL, now. I just updated my bookmark link.

As in the Turtle and the Hare story, when the Turtle says, "I may be slow, but I am sure!" It took me awhile to find the TN forum, but I found it!

bugman
09-15-2010, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the upgrade Ed,gonna take a little time to get used to the new look.

Crappisaurusrex
09-15-2010, 05:48 AM
if we make a donation will the adds go away again?

carter
09-15-2010, 06:17 AM
if we make a donation will the adds go away again?

I agree with that.

Corker
09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
What happened to the "gauge" that showed my number of PMs that were Inbox/Outbox/Available? Did that feature go away, or is it controlled with a setting I've yet to discover?

GCD
09-15-2010, 08:18 AM
The board looks great Slab!

Are the styles different skins we can choose from? The blue and gray gets kinda hum-drum after a while.

... but overall you've done a great job Bossman! Keep up the good work!

skiptomylu
09-15-2010, 08:42 AM
I am probably not in the majority, but I like the look better before. I post on another board like this one and I don't even have a reason other than I had to re-do all my links. When I looked on the board menu I didn't see state boards.

I like seeing the old way where if you had read the thread it was lighter and if not it was darker.

Just me though and I don't have any reason other than I don't like this look. It's like some pastel female look for me.

Sorry and still like Crappie.com,
Skip

PS. I did find the state boards, but if you click on Crappie Fishing - Crappie.com the state boards look to be missing so clicked on Forum and found them.

Number 2 PS.... I was worried ant all my links here were changed and they were so all the threads I had saved to be able to find again easy are now gone and probably never get them all back. So not so good here on this stuff.

Skip

Scrapper
09-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Slab, once again great job!!!!

Guys, give him a little time...since the new version is installed it defaulted back to the "original". Slab will add all his bells and whistles soon. Have to give him time. The forums and all look like they do because he hasn't had a chance to make all the "face" changes. He'll get it done. Try to be patient and let him get it to where he wants then make requests. He'll probably have a few things to figure out that may be different and probably some new things he'll be able to do. As said I LOVED the look of the old forums...and I'm sure Slab has some stuff up his sleeve to spice the new version up. :D

We know we have one of the, if not the best forum on the web...and its all because of slab...thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Barnacle Bill
09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Is there a way to give it a little more contrast to make it easier to read?

Slab
09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Dudes, I just got the upgrade done late last night, or should I say early this morning. This is the default style. I will change it. I need time, and I also want to make sure it works before I do the work to change it.

And yes, I will be setting up the ads removal program again, thanks for asking.

Thanks for your patience guys.

Oh, I noticed the board was slow jsut recently when I got on again, but it seems OK now. You all having performance problems?

Slab
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
We could hire our own midget, even shorter than his.

FS, why are you contributing nothing but meaningless dribble, and hijacking my thread. I'm serious Fish Stick, one more stupid post like this and you will be banned. You're new here. I looked at all your posts and see no content! And you know I've already tried to address this with you offline!

catchncrisco
09-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Slab ...Thanks for all you do, sometimes we expect all updates/changes to be done NOW. It just don't work that way fellows.
Yes I've been having some problems with pages loading slow and freezing up.

wwwUncle
09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Slab, looks and feels great to me. Only made one change to my standard settings after looking around.

skiptomylu
09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Slab the board's speed seem fine and I too had noticed it had slowed down some, but ran a few scans on my computer (malwarebytes and Spybot) and then the speed seemed fine.

Skip

GCD
09-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Speed is good here right now.

... and I was just askin' about the skins earlier.

I'm in no hurry for anything.;)

azslabber
09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Well,Maybe once I figure it out.Putting pics in was a little differant to be kind,lol.Looks good though once I can find everything.

Yodibuzz
09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
don"t like the washed out look and it is slooow, prolly all these pop up ads.
PLEASE no ads in someones post! that is a big downgrade.

Redy2Fish
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Looks great to me, Ed. I don't have any ads, not that I want them mind you, Firefox must block them?

Slab
09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
don"t like the washed out look and it is slooow, prolly all these pop up ads.
PLEASE no ads in someones post! that is a big downgrade.

Speed seems to come and go. The washed out look I will change. Right now I will try to adress the speed issue, I think that's most important.

blairarnold
09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Are you going to add the new posts link to this like you had in the old one? It is a feature that I have enjoyed.

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
09-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Not complaining, just reporting in. Forums are slow to load (using Firefox) and there's an ad on almost every post - not just the page.

Slab
09-15-2010, 02:43 PM
"New Posts"

There's a link to that at top left,
under the big crappie.com and little word "forum". You should see it there.

skiptomylu
09-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Slab the links I re-did this morning are now no good and had to link the boards again?

Hope this part hold steady soon, LOL!

Skip

TapOut64
09-15-2010, 02:45 PM
When you get around to it I'm thinking a black and gold look would be best. :)

Fish Stick
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
FS, why are you contributing nothing but meaningless dribble, and hijacking my thread. I'm serious Fish Stick, one more stupid post like this and you will be banned. You're new here. I looked at all your posts and see no content! And you know I've already tried to address this with you offline!Not meaningless dribble. In our little fishing community we often use this quote ('O Brother Where Art Thou) as a compliment. I'm just fishing and having fun. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

blairarnold
09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
"New Posts"

There's a link to that at top left,
under the big crappie.com and little word "forum". You should see it there.

I see it. Thanks. By the way are you going to put the winking crappie back on?

shipahoy41
09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Ed always does look out for all of us on c.c. Thank you for all you do.

Good Stuff
09-15-2010, 04:59 PM
How do we get rid of these darn adds in the middle of every post?

AgriHawg
09-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't mind he ads in the posts as much as the google ads under the "Home - Forum- Crappie Fishing - Crappie.com - Main Crappie Fishing Forum - And we are back!" list. The ad makes it hard for me to see where to click to go back to the forum list.

Ed, I like the general look of the update. I like the fact the posts go all the way across the screen now. Although I'm sure that's why the ad's are now in the actual posts. I look forward to you changing the color scheme though. Thanks for the hard work!

Slab
09-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I can tune and change the ads, I just need time. I do appreciate feedback, so thanks for the comments. I have to generally change the colors and contract of the site, and I'll still do that, but I'm working on the performance problems right now. Lots more work for me to do, please hang in there everyone, it'll get nothing but better from here.

And actually, we read from left to right, so me taking the ads off the left side should make it less intrusive to the viewer.

TN Hillbilly
09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
People who are annoyed by adds should check out Mozilla Firefox and the add-in "ad block". Not to mention the fact that Firefox is faster, more secure, and much better at blocking popups than IE.

Percidae_Papermouth
09-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I liked the ads on the sides of the posts, not in the posts. I hope you put the winking crappie back up... I was just getting to the point i could easily navigate this forum now im all mixed up, Cant wait to see how it turns out! O and i cant find my PM inbox. I know it has to be hard to please everyone. I have a hard time with change... Thanks for providing a forum for us! Keep up the good work Slab!

satdoc1
09-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Dudes, I just got the upgrade done late last night, or should I say early this morning. This is the default style. I will change it. I need time, and I also want to make sure it works before I do the work to change it.

And yes, I will be setting up the ads removal program again, thanks for asking.

Thanks for your patience guys.

Oh, I noticed the board was slow jsut recently when I got on again, but it seems OK now. You all having performance problems?

Seems like it has gone back to the old speeds not like it was before the upgrede last nite.

satdoc1
09-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I liked the ads on the sides of the posts, not in the posts. I hope you put the winking crappie back up... I was just getting to the point i could easily navigate this forum now im all mixed up, Cant wait to see how it turns out! O and i cant find my PM inbox. I know it has to be hard to please everyone. I have a hard time with change... Thanks for providing a forum for us! Keep up the good work Slab!

Top of page to the right of your sign in is NOTIFICATIONS. Look there for PMs.

Fatman
09-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Looks good but I wish the ads stayed on the left hand side of the page

Fatman

anchorpuller
09-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Well well... I'm impressed! The upgrade didn't seem to screw up too much!

Performance is pretty good right now for me. ( I use google)

The ad's suck. I can attest to the really cool convenience of not having those from previous donation to crappie.com and the adjustments Ed made for having done so. You can be sure that will be my next extra money spending.

Haven't used all of the features and I'm sure there is a bit of tweaking to be done. Change is indeed hard as we get older.

Stimulate my brain to learn something new, but please don't tax it beyond that one brick shy I've got going!

frank lawhead
09-16-2010, 07:04 AM
It will take me a long time to get on to this new board--[its all I can handle to turn a puter on] LOL
Why is the number of people going down [used to be 18,000 or so--today is a lot less ???

Slab
09-16-2010, 07:10 AM
It will take me a long time to get on to this new board--[its all I can handle to turn a puter on] LOL
Why is the number of people going down [used to be 18,000 or so--today is a lot less ???

Prior to the conversion, I deleted a whole bunch of users that were not really in use anymore., roughly 6000. I didn't want to convert more than I had to.

I think I found the performance problem too. So far, looks like we are running smooth. If this works, I'll be looking into cleaning up, or at least changing the look/colors.

Thank you everyone for your patience.

ScottV
09-16-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm glad to see the winking crappie back. Thanks Ed for doing this cause you are just making it safer for us, not having to worry so much about malware or virus's attacking our computers. With a little fine tuning, we will get used to it.

Scrapper
09-16-2010, 08:14 AM
What ads are you guys talking about?? I haven't had one single ad.?.?.? I guess our settings at school are different...but I'm not getting anything. Maybe its in my personal settings.

"G"
09-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I think the speed will come back up to par if Ed gets the ads off....thats what is making the pages slow to load up I think.

jaxsprat
09-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I think the speed will come back up to par if Ed gets the ads off....thats what is making the pages slow to load up I think.

Yes I would like to see speed come up but the ads, I feel are strictly Ed's call as this is paying him $$ supporting the site and well a litttle change from time to time kinda wakes up PART of this 70 year old brain, Good going ED & THANKS....

Slab
09-16-2010, 01:38 PM

The ads are served from Adsdaq or Google servers, they are not slowing down my server at all. They don't even use my servers bandwidth that way.

Barnacle Bill
09-16-2010, 03:25 PM
You musta done some more tweakin Ed. Contrast is a lot better.

TN Hillbilly
09-16-2010, 03:36 PM
The ads are served from Adsdaq or Google servers, they are not slowing down my server at all. They don't even use my servers bandwidth that way.

True, but they do slow things down on our end.

Crappie Reaper
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
FS, why are you contributing nothing but meaningless dribble, and hijacking my thread. I'm serious Fish Stick, one more stupid post like this and you will be banned. You're new here. I looked at all your posts and see no content! And you know I've already tried to address this with you offline!

Ed's done an excellent job maintaining this site since I stumbled across it years back. Everything new takes time and needs it's tweaks. Ed has always been open to suggestion and actually listens to the people that frequent the board.

As Crappie.com owner, he's been involved on a daily basis and has worked very hard to make C.C the top Crappie forum in the world.

Tip of the hat to Ed...

Fish Stick
09-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Ed's done an excellent job maintaining this site since I stumbled across it years back. Everything new takes time and needs it's tweaks. Ed has always been open to suggestion and actually listens to the people that frequent the board.

As Crappie.com owner, he's been involved on a daily basis and has worked very hard to make C.C the top Crappie forum in the world.

Tip of the hat to Ed...It's a parody of a comment on a take-off of an exaggeration!

"G"
09-16-2010, 05:35 PM

Yes but they do slow things down on my end....when I change pages the c.c stuff starts loading on fast....then when it hits the ad part it slows to a crawl and after the ad loads then the rest of the c.c stuff comes up fast.