Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Carpet

Post Thanks / Like

Question Boat Carpet

I am planning on replacing some or all of the carpet in my Aluma-Weld that is starting to deteriorate. It is an aluminum deck and floor and the plating is slick and shiney under the carpet. Is there a special kind of glue to use that will stick to this slick aluminum? Any tips on good versus bad carpet for a boat deck?

Post Thanks / Like

I did some work with a boat machanic, he used to fix up a lot of aluminum boats. Matter of fact that is all he would sale. He said he used liquid nail, that it was the only thing that would last. He was right we used it on several boats while I was there. I recarpeted a bass boat I had. I used his technique, worked like a charm. The main thing is to keep in mind that the edges need to be done really well, because the wind will get under it. Go around the outside edge, then does streaks in the middle. Don't worry about covering the whole thing. Also you can get some good boat carpet at Lowes. The reason I like it, it does have loops so your hooks don't get stuck. Hope this helps.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second the marine carpeting from Lowes. I've done two aluminum boats with the marine carpeting from Lowes and I really like the way they turned out. Like stumpbumpers mentioned, there are no loops for hooks to get stuck in and it is very very soft on the feet if you like to fish without any shoes on. I used to work for a fiberglas boat manufacturer here in western pa and the carpet we used back then had the loops and it wasn't very soft.

I use the marine glue from Lowes as well, with a combed tooth putty knife to groove the glue.

I've never used liquid nail, but I would think that it would be rather difficult to remove the liquid nail if you ever had to replace your carpeting again at some point in time.

There is alot of good info on boat repairs and such on these two sites:
    http://www.pagebiz.com/bds/aluminum/repair.htm
    http://www.myjonboat.com (the hydrillagorilla website)

I ordered the ebook from HydrillaGorilla a couple years ago and it is a very good read with lots of good pointers.

Let us know how you make out.
    GO STEELER'S!

Post Thanks / Like

yeh, ain't so easy remov'n it. Only tried once to remove it. Oh yeh the best thing to remove the glue(not liquid nail)that was under the carpet is Naptha. If you have a local cabinet shop they may sale you a gallon, but becareful with it. It will remove goo of about any sort and paint if you saturate it. It is safe for your skin, but not recommended.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I quit using carpet several years ago. It gets wet and heavy and soils too easy. I now buy rubber matting with traction ridges . It does not hold water, it does not fade, it is easy to clean up, and hooks do not hang in it. Much, much better than carpet for my use.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check into vinyl flooring like what is available with Alumacraft and Lund boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Meat on the Table- Do you attach the matt in anyway to the deck and do you cut it into the shape of the decking/lids? I thought about the spray-on coating, but it needs an etching primer to hold onto the metal and is too expensive and heavy.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Meat, can you provide us a pic and a link to where we can get sheets of the stuff?

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know more about that stuff as well. My barge needs new floor covering and would love to have something thats a little more durable/waterproof.