HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fried Crappie Roe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fried Crappie Roe

I have heard of folks eating and I've even been asked to save the roe when cleaning fish for folks. I'm a daring fellow and our crappie here in Arkansas are already bloated with eggs. So, I saved some roe the other day and tried it (when filleting, keep the roe sack whole and in tact).

IT IS GOOD!!!

I just rolled it in self-rising white cornmeal and dropped them is 375 degree oil (careful, they did make the oil pop some), pulled them out about 45-60 seconds later. The color changed from bright orange to a light golden brown. The consistency firmed and looked genuinely appetizing. To me, it tasted like salty egg yolks with a crispy cornmeal breading.

I will definitely be serving this a crappie camp.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]
    Likes BuckeyeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We have always saved the roe. Typically we consider it a delica-c. It usually is done before the fillets so it becomes the appe-teaser. Good stuff. When I was a kid my dad would mix it in with the scrambled eggs, for breakfast.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I remember my grandpa frying fish roe when I was a kid. At the ripe old age of 9, I used to think it was pretty gross . . . . at the young age of 39, the verdict is still out! I'm sure that you do an awesome job of cooking it though!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Errr Ummm - you want me to save you mine:p
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Fried Crappie Caviar ....

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    I have heard of folks eating and I've even been asked to save the roe when cleaning fish for folks. I'm a daring fellow and our crappie here in Arkansas are already bloated with eggs. So, I saved some roe the other day and tried it (when filleting, keep the roe sack whole and in tact).

IT IS GOOD!!!

I just rolled it in self-rising white cornmeal and dropped them is 375 degree oil (careful, they did make the oil pop some), pulled them out about 45-60 seconds later. The color changed from bright orange to a light golden brown. The consistency firmed and looked genuinely appetizing. To me, it tasted like salty egg yolks with a crispy cornmeal breading.

I will definitely be serving this at crappie camp.
    Yes Darryl ... they are pretty good that way !! And PLEASE be sure the egg sac is intact, before placing them in the skillet or fryer !! Them little single eggs will pop like popcorn and splatter grease everywhere ... not a pretty scenario when frying them on an open fire, or deep fry outfit (open flame type) -- and the grease will burn your hide, too ... LOL!! (been there ....) .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    Errr Ummm - you want me to save you mine:p
    Absolutely!!! I'm going to try them Stumpbumpers way with scrambled eggs. If it is as good as what I had yesterday, breakfast will be even more my favorite meal.

Everyone, I know, it sounds gross and looks gross when first dressed, but if you can at all put your food animosities in check and try it, I know you'll like it. It's just fish eggs. Most of us eat chicken eggs everyday. It's really no different.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had anyone turn them down when they were cooked and most of them now save their own fish's eggs. I'll eat bass eggs, bream eggs, shell cracker eggs, white perch eggs, and any other fish I'll fillet... ...I'll eat their eggs... mak'n me salivate just think'n 'bout it.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Eggs, eggs, good for your heart. The more you eat .............
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Post Thanks / Like

my grandmother would cook them hell for years i didnt know others didnt eat them ill still cook them up from time to time brings back old times

btw she fished tilll 3 days befor she died at 97 and could out fish most of us too

Alan
    Alan

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that the roe out of a gar is poisonous. Is that true or just an old wife's tale?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast