Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropshot crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dropshot crappie

I've been planning on dropshotting for bass, getting away from the baits I usually use for summer bass, but on Sunday I had an opportunity to try the technique on crappie. I was fishing a hump in the middle of the lake and knew a large school was to the west of me on a 5' or less hard pack hump surrounded by 10' of water.

I used a small Octopus hook on 4 lb test XL Trilene and nose hooked a 1.5" tube. Too big. So I went to a Southern Pro 1.5" crappy grub and immediately caught crappie and sunfish - aprox 30 all together. The leader below the hook was 20" attached to a 1/8 tear drop sinker.

This weekend I'm going to try rigging a thin wire hook to a 3" blood knot leader (or use a 3-way swivel) in the same area. I hope to use a 3.5" nose hooked Power Worm, Fin S Fish minnow or 1/32 oz. flash jig to catch different species of panfish, especially crappie and yellow perch.

Thanks to Fishoholic, I have a new respect for light line.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

CrappieDentist over on the OK board uses a dropshot rig for crappie all the time.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a drop shot rig for crappie for something like 5 or 6 years, but mostly at night and summer fishing.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

It might have an advantage over split shot for really light lures and flies.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I spent my winters chasing ducks and snow geese, I did a lot of cold weather crappie fishing on KY Lake. We would rig a 1/4 to 1/2 oz bass casting sinker on the bottom of the line, come up about 18" and put a bronze #1 to 1/0 straight shank hook on a loop in the line where the hook rode about 1 foot behind the main line, then nose hooked a 2 inch shinner onto this rig. We would cast it off the deep side of ledges in 10-20 feet of water and slowly worked it back up the drop just like one would work a plastic worm. We caught a ton of good crappie this way.Lots of time we would catch near limits and never have to move the boat. I usually fished this on regular medium action baitcasting bass rods with level-wind reel.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

pretty cool idea. I was under the impression "drop shotting" was throwing this same rig out and just twitching it. You guys are actually working it like a worm?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

So do I. One line is a dropshot and the other is a float-n-fly set up.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, I use a 4" finesse worm dropping for crappie, only when the water temp falls to about 50 will I go to smaller plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression "drop shotting" was throwing this same rig out and just twitching it. You guys are actually working it like a worm?
    My first experience using a dropshot for crappie and perch was a few years ago and I nose hooked a 3" Bass Assassin rat tail shad. The fish were hyper active and went nuts for the bait moving it back and forth. The light wire hook seems to be key. I hope they hit the 4" power worm this weedend.

I won a crappie tournament using a float & fly in high wind and waves. The fish were crazzzy that morning! The other rig was a 2" shad and jig.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also tight line with a drop shot and a minnow or some other kind of soft plastic.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast