Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water filter for minnow tank

Post Thanks / Like

Question Water filter for minnow tank

I have a 55 gallon drum with a small aerator. The problem is, the water gets dirty in just a few days. What would be a good filter for the tank which probably only has 10-15 gallons of water in it? Any suggestions on aerators too? Would like to have about 20 gallons of water and a filter/aerator to keep my minnows alive. Also, what is good feed for them? Most are creek chubs/minnows.
    Thanks
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest that you keep 30-40 gallons of water in the barrel and change it every 10 days as needed. I would suggest that you feed them goldfish flakes that is around 40% protein, you can get it at Walmart. If you are on chlorinated city water then have a second barrel that the water is allowed to sit for several days for the chlorine to escape before exchanging. Further I would suggest you add 1/2 cup of rock salt (ice cream salt) to toughen the minnows, promote slime and assist in killing any infections due to mishandling.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also suggest to add a small powerhead or submerged water pump to keep the water circulating. Some powerheads from aquarium shops come with a attatchment that you hook an air line to that diffuses oxygen into the water as it exits the pump. Petco, petsmart, and local aquarium shops all carry powerheads.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Tyler Stephens

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to change the water and keep minnows safe?
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

You can use 5 gallon buckets and fill them with water and treat the 5 gallons with dechlorinator and mix it up then pour it in. Or you can drain however much water your changing and dose dechlorinator directly to the tank for how much the tank holds and add the water directly from a hose pipe if the tempature is close. Any more than a 10 degree tempature drop may send the minnows into shock and that will result in a die off. Example: for a 55 gallon tank if you do a 50% water change you treat the tank as if you were putting 55 gallons of fresh water back in it.
    Tyler Stephens

Post Thanks / Like

I am many years removed from my tropical fish/aquarium days, but I'm sure you can get a decent filter at any pet store. (Walmart should also carry them.) A filter that can handle 20 gallons should be pretty cheap. Also, it will both clean and aerate the water. With a good filter, you don't have to change the water very often.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 500 gallon bait tank and I went to lowes and got the pump and filter system for a out door fish pond and it works great. I also have a water timer that adds fresh water 3 time a day.
    The man that dies with the most stuff wins!