Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Lake

When you go to a lake you never have been to, how do you find and catch crappie? Keeps me from going to new places.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Slipcork ...

Quote Originally Posted by Slipcork View Post
    When you go to a lake you never have been to, how do you find and catch crappie? Keeps me from going to new places.
    Basically, what I do is find spots that are similar to productive spots on lakes I'm familiar with ... then fish them like I normally would, given the same season & conditions.
    I, also, don't try and fish the "lake" ... or more accurately, the "whole" lake. I pick a section, a creek or cove, or an area I can cover in a days fishing ... and concentrate my efforts there.
    I may use Google Earth to look it over, or (if I'm considering fishing it often) I may purchase a topo map ... and look for the primary features that the Crappie should be around, given the season & conditions.
    I look online for local & current fishing reports ... hoping to find depth, preferred baits/methods, cover or structure types fished, or any pattern I can identify.

In short ... I do my "homework" BEFORE I go to "class"

I also go with the idea that, should Plan A fail to produce ... that I have a Plan B & Plan C :p That may be a change in methods, using live bait instead of artificial, or even a change in species sought :D I've also been known to go "loaded for bear" (2-3X's the normal amount of equipment I'd take to a more familiar lake) ... and even do some "experimenting". Sometimes doing something a little out of the ordinary will trip their trigger !!

I also go with the idea that, even if I blank ... I learned something about the lake, and will not let getting skunked be the determining factor about returning to that lake. Going during the timeframe that should be most productive, considering the ways I like to fish, is also a consideration.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice pappy.......
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Hire a guide for at least a day if you can at all.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CP hit it on the head. Talking to locals at a tackle shop or with the owner will sometimes get you on the right track too. Now that you're here, just ask the folks from your state. Most folks are glad to help. All that aside, use baits that cover as much water as you can without running through it. Small cranks, beetle spins, and once you get a bit of activity change to a slower presentation. Paying attention to your depth finder, and have a marker ready to throw.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a good map of the lake you should be able to find spots to check out before you go. Look for the same kind of spots to fish that are like the spots you fish now. Find the creeks and timber and what ever else you look for.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice! If I can talk to locals, I want to know depth. Most folks will share that with you without feeling they're giving their secrets away. If I know the depth, 3/4ths of the battle is over for finding fish.
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Doug. Long time no see!!
    I have been learning more about Greer's and Maumelle this year by trolling. I started out on Greer's last March long lining jigs. I found a point that has always produced when I fish it. If the water gets low enough, maybe i will get some of my Bandits back. I plan on drowning some minners spider rigging this winter over it.
    Maumelle is still like a turkey shoot. But, for the fist time in 10 years, I have caught them there. Just on Bandits so far. But, I intend to do some spider rigging along the channel in the lower end this winter.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DP,

To much work around here to get to go fishing much. Trying to keep the bills paid and all. But, Gooch and I did get to go to Maumelle back when it was hot and pulled Bandits around and tryied out his new 787 Hummingbird. We did put ten in the boat. I want to go back this fall/winter and try spider rigging in the same spot too.

Look me up sometime and we'll talk about it if we can't go.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipcork View Post
    Hey DP,

To much work around here to get to go fishing much. Trying to keep the bills paid and all. But, Gooch and I did get to go to Maumelle back when it was hot and pulled Bandits around and tryied out his new 787 Hummingbird. We did put ten in the boat. I want to go back this fall/winter and try spider rigging in the same spot too.

Look me up sometime and we'll talk about it if we can't go.
    I saw Gooch last year around Ouachita. He watched me change a flat tire out then come strolling up. Said he was going to set up a gathering on his new dock/(boat?).
    We miss yall's regulatr post. Haven't heard from Dr. CEB in a while either. Give me a holler sometime when you go to Maumelle. It is only about 15 minuets from my house.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast