Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile I need some advice!

I am looking to buy a new truck. I need a 2500 series truck and I want to get one with a diesel engine. I am considering either a Dodge with the 6.7 Cummins or a Chevy with the 6.6 Duramax. I am also going to match the engine with a 6-speed automatic transmission with whichever truck I get.

Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated. I drove the Dodge Saturday afternoon and really liked it. It was a 2010 model. Going to test drive a Chevy, if I can find one, one day next week.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

are you aware the new models will be using DIF?

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

It will add to the cost to operate.

HTH

Jig Rig
    Ephesians 1:13

Post Thanks / Like

the DEF will have to filled about every other oil change,about every 5,000 miles and it will cost you about $25!! the DEF tank holds 5.3 gallons of urea!! and you can buy it in 2.5 gallon containers at an average of $12 a container!!

I just happen to sell Chevy's!!:D

I sent you a PM!!

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for Chevy:D...Pastor,have you considered a 3/4 ton gas? They have plenty of power.Plenty enough to pull your camper to:p Larto
    Romans 6:23

Post Thanks / Like

The cummins in the dodge is the better diesel but the allison is the better tranny and its in the GM. New EPA regs on diesels ( particulate filter that clogs up and now urea) make gas burners more and more attractive in this size truck. So unless you really need the diesel you might consider going with gas. The diesel usually adds a good 5 grand to purchase price also and is about 40 cents a gallon more. Just some things to consider, but dont let me talk you out of it i drive a diesel! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zwalls View Post
    the DEF will have to filled about every other oil change,about every 5,000 miles and it will cost you about $25!! the DEF tank holds 5.3 gallons of urea!! and you can buy it in 2.5 gallon containers at an average of $12 a container!!

I just happen to sell Chevy's!!:D

I sent you a PM!!
    Fleetguard say's 300 miles to a gallon.

http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/produ...es/MB10033.pdf

Do you have any links that state the 1000 miles to a gallon?
    Ephesians 1:13

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Me do!

I own a 2009 GMC Duramax with 6 speed Allison transmission. Pull 35 foot camper and boat 90MPH if you want.
    If I behave and keep RPM below 2000, get 11 to 13 MPG easy.
    15 MPG in town, 20 to 21 highway.
    This truck is fantastic! Worked all my life to get one.......

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Pastor, it's really a toss up as to which one to get... They all have their issues.. If i am remembering right, you can get the Allison with the duramax or the powerstroke and is do-able with the cummins with a conversion kit.

I have friends that have GM's and 4 of them had to have the injectors changed less than 100k miles. 2 friends with dodge's had to have the turbo's replaced less than 75k miles. And as for Ford, I only have a couple friends that have Ford's. One had a problem with the crankshaft position sensor went out less than 75k miles and the other one just bought his a month or two ago and hasn't had any problems yet.

These trucks are models from 2005-2009's.. They may have the problems fixed now.

If you decide to go with Dodge, you should give Weaver Motors a call in Kirbyville Tx. They have been having the cheapest prices around.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

It'a a tough decision; I just bout a new 3/4 ton diesel in July. My last three were Fords; when they got away from the 7.3 and started changing engines every 2/3 years I got away from Ford. The 2010 Fords pull good and will pass everthing on the road but a fuel station. When Dodge went to the 6.7 it was to meet the emission standards; it also hurt thier fuel economy. Dodge has another year or two before they go to the DEF. Ford and Chevy are going to the DEF in 2011 models. Torque in these models is awesome, Ford has 735 ft.lbs. and Chevy has 765; fuel econy is increased for both. Having said that they will both cost more and use the Diesel Exhuast Fluid. A dealer told me it cost $8 a quart, will hold 8 quarts and should run about 5000 miles on a tank. The Chevy is still a Duramax and you can't get a better trans than the Allison. The Ford will be a new engine built by for; I have some concerns about this (Be not thefirst by which the new is tried or the last to lay tho old aside).
    OK, I bought a 2010 Chevy and it performs very well. The problem is they quit making them in January to gear up for the 2011's. I couldn't find one like I wanted locally. I found mine just outside of Chicago and it was the last one they had.
    I agree that unless you need a diesel for the torque you're most likely better off with a gas burner. They are about 6k less, gas is cheaper and the new ones have a decent tow rating.
    Good luck with your choice; I would tell you to pray about it but I guess that's not necessary, LOL.................

docwaldo is offline Moderator LA Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

heck, just get a mule and a block and collar. all this info is putting my brain on overload. hehehe.

hope you find just what you are looking for,

doc
    Any man can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a DAD!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast