Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dead minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default dead minnows

I keep minnows alive in a 100 gallon tank. I usally use some stuff in a yellow bottle from Wal-mart to take the chlorine out of the water. Tetra or something its called. It is clear. It works really well but is kind of expensive. I bought some of that blue better bait minnow holding formula to try out. I try to measure it just like the bottle says but I have killed my minnows three times. I have never killed them with the Wal-Mart stuff. I noticed after I changed the water last and added the better bait the minnows were at the top. The next morning they were all dead. Any suggestions?
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

Post Thanks / Like

Stress Coat. Buy it at the local pet store that have fish. Best stuff I've ever used. It's a water conditioner and de-chlorinator. I've never had a lot of luck with the blue stuff at home.

Post Thanks / Like

The stuff I use is called Prime, you cant get it at walmart. Petco, Petsmart, or a local aquarium shop will have it. Its pricey but a small 100ml bottle will treat up to 1000 gallons of water, it detoxifies all chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Its all I use in my personal show tanks and breeder system.
    Last edited by TStephens; 09-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    Tyler Stephens

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have a big minnow tank.I guess that worms is all I'll ever get,lol.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a couple of rain barrels & run your downspouts into them. Rain water's always safe w/o additives. Likewise, lake water is safe. If you have a live well in your boat, fill it before pulling out & then drain into buckets, etc. When it's dry, I also fill a cooler at the lake & take as much safe water home as possible. Well water is also safe.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    Get a couple of rain barrels & run your downspouts into them. Rain water's always safe w/o additives. Likewise, lake water is safe. If you have a live well in your boat, fill it before pulling out & then drain into buckets, etc. When it's dry, I also fill a cooler at the lake & take as much safe water home as possible. Well water is also safe.
    Rain water is good if you have a metal roof, if you have a shingled roof then the tar in the shingles can leach toxins into the water.
    Tyler Stephens

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a shingled roof & haven't noticed a problem. Minnows seem to do OK in it.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieClint View Post
    I keep minnows alive in a 100 gallon tank. I usally use some stuff in a yellow bottle from Wal-mart to take the chlorine out of the water. Tetra or something its called. It is clear. It works really well but is kind of expensive. I bought some of that blue better bait minnow holding formula to try out. I try to measure it just like the bottle says but I have killed my minnows three times. I have never killed them with the Wal-Mart stuff. I noticed after I changed the water last and added the better bait the minnows were at the top. The next morning they were all dead. Any suggestions?
    I have the same size tank. Put 3-4 table spoons of hydrogen peroxide in there to rid chorine...cheap. I rarely lose any minnows. Need to change water 2x's a week. Let water down to about 1/3 the way down your tank, then fill back up with a water hose. About every 1/3 it fills up, throw 1 tablespoon of Hydro Peroxide in as water it being added.

W

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to WalMart and get a water filter for RVs. Takes out the chlorine and a lot of other chemicals. Mixing salt it what all the minnow farmers and transport trucks use on their minnows. It relieves stress, cleans them out and promotes slime coat regeneration. In my younger days I hauled minnows all over the eastern US. Hauled 125# of minnows in 100 gallon tanks. Used 2 cups of mixing salt to each tank. Never had a problem. It must be MIXING SALT. NOT table salt. Mixing salt is non-iodized. Table salt is iodized and will kill you minnows. Mixing salt is cheap insurance and you shouldn't need to use any other chemicals. A 50# bag of mixing salt is about $4 or $5 at you local farm co-op. Or you can get smaller amounts where ever home canning supplies are sold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    Thats why all the lakes are so low.Rofl
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast