Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Grizzly jig on the fly

Sky Pilot is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grizzly jig on the fly

My son and I was wanting to try a new spot before he went back to school. All we had were the flies on our rods and some new strike indicators that I had ordered. I lost my fly box the other day coming back from the lake. He ended up losing his fly so he tied on a grizzly jig with the strike indicator about 15" up the line. He caught 7 bream to my none in the next 10 minutes. I finally changed over, but too late. We did catch about 4 more before we called it a night. I was excited to see that these jigs could be used on a fly rod without any problem that I could tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost any light jig can be cast with a fly rod. Bass Pro's Prolite jigs are one example. A Clouser minnow is a very popular fly, and it's basically a jig.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there are many jigs that will work. It may work for me to catch a few crappie using this setup at the right time and place. I was not happy with the way my tippet kinked up with the strike indicator that I was using. I thought I would try using water balloons and they seem to work perfectly. I cut the ring off the end of the balloon after my first half hitch. I then tied the ring on with another half hitch. I put it on my tippet just like before, but instead of the line kinking, the balloon ring folded over and left my line straight. It did not move at all from where I set it. Another good thing is that I got a 100 balloons for $.50 at Dollar General. That should last a good long while.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pic ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    I am sure there are many jigs that will work. It may work for me to catch a few crappie using this setup at the right time and place. I was not happy with the way my tippet kinked up with the strike indicator that I was using. I thought I would try using water balloons and they seem to work perfectly. I cut the ring off the end of the balloon after my first half hitch. I then tied the ring on with another half hitch. I put it on my tippet just like before, but instead of the line kinking, the balloon ring folded over and left my line straight. It did not move at all from where I set it. Another good thing is that I got a 100 balloons for $.50 at Dollar General. That should last a good long while.
    I`m very new to fly fishin, can you post a pic of your setup? I have no idea what you`re doin
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like

I will as soon as I get our camera back. It got left at my in-laws and it may be a week or two before we see them again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I have no idea what you`re doin
    Pat
    Me neither, but I've never had any problems with the line kinking on any of my indicator rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

DB4D!!!
    Oh, come on - you use a bobber??!!
    I thought someone with a handle as cool as yours would be a purist - well, semi-purist - like me. Sort of. Perhaps...
    Are your "strike indicators" red and white or chartreuse? :D Will they pop when you give them a twitch? Any stink added to 'em? Or a hook?
    Now there's something - a popper/strike indicator! I've had plenty of redfish and specks blast my float while I was popping a jig beneath it. Should work good with flies. Two at a time, man! Tallk about meat fishing with a fly rod!!
    Oooh cher, I gotta get me some of dat! :D
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Ya got me, Pete. :o

I do occasionally fish with a strike indicator, but it's not my first love.

My first love? Casting poppers and streamers to shallow water reds, snook, jacks, etc. :D:D

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sneakypete, This isn't fly fishing but one of your posts about trout and reds blasting your cork brought it to mind. Why do you use a cork? this is a rig I watched a guy school me with one day near Haulover Canal in Mosquito Lagoon. He took a Zara Spook, you choose the color, and removed the rear hook and tie link in the front. He then took a piece of small aquarium tubing and fed it thru holes drilled in place of the front and rear hardware, and I think he used epoxy to seal it. So now you feed the line thru, and tie the jig on the end, and start walking the dog. If you get a short strike you throw a little slack at the rig and the jig descends and drives them absolutely wild, and that is if they missed the bottom hook left on the spook. He really made me look bad that day, but I had one on the next trip. Just some food for thought.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around