Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Repair Aluminum Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Repair Aluminum Boats

I have a 14' 1961 Alumacraft riveted boat.

I have some rivets missing and some which are damaged. I have no experiance on this type of repair. Can anyone point me to websites that have good information on this topic along with tools that I would need.

Is it safe to assume it's a two man job?

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished aluminum boats for many years. I have tried to re-rivet them but it is usally just a temperary fix due to the stress put on these types of boats...expecially older models.
    Your best option is to take it to a local welding shop and have them weld the braces and rivets. You can also fix any small holes that may be in.
    Most places will charge you by the job, not by the hour. its not that expensive (last time I had heliarc repairs it run $80.00) which is not at all expensive if you factor in "your" time that it would take to drill, re-rivet and then seal the holes (which would more than likely work loose again).
    When checking prices for welding a boat SHOP AROUND! Prices may differ greatly. I use a small local shop that does quaility work and they are VERY REASONABLE!
    Good Luck..............

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well Sabot ....

I'm currently fishing out of my buddy's boat - riveted model TX17 Tracker ... and it's got "Knead it" & "JB Weld" in place of at least a dozen or so rivets !! The "repaired" rivet holes are water tight, and have been for many years. He also had some welding done, for a seam crack in bow ... and that's held up quite well, also.
    There are several things that can be done - put new rivets back in (need rivet tools) - patch with Knead-it or JB Weld (available at "Marts" or hardware stores) - weld holes closed (need alum welding experience) - silicone sealant (temporary fix, at best). In any case, if you have a "floor" in the boat, it will have to be removed to get to the rivet holes. We took my buddy's boat apart, removed (& replaced) the foam floatation, patched the holes, then put it back together (with a little help from some sheet metal screws, to replace the rivets that held the interior stuff together). The boat has been apart & back together at least three times (once for the welding, once for the repairs we did, and once for re-carpeting) ... it still floats, and fishes as good as it ever did (and looks a lot better than it used to, thanks to the new carpet ... LOL!!) ............... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My boy has an old rivited jon boat he uses. This boat takes a whooping too. I saw him one time drop it over the side of a bridge to get it in the water. Crazy kids you know. Anyways, he took some of that truck bed liner stuff and did the inside of the boat with that. Worked great too. Not a drop gets in. When I get some cash saved up, I'm going to have my boat done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I took the boat to the local expert welder. He turned me away for he stated he would do more harm then good. The broken rivets are on the keel, where there is a gasket as well. His concern was the he would burn the gasket and warp other parts of the keel which is in perfect condition.

I was left to repair it myself. I used the JB Weld marine product to seal the spots that was leaking. Tested it by filling the boat with water then lake tested. It was sealed. I then purchased some Gluvit Epoxy Waterproof Sealer and coated the bottom of the boat for some extra protection. So far so good.

I have a full deck w/ new carpet in my boat (which came with it). I don't want to tear it all out, so I picked the above patch work.

I checked with everyone that I could get in contact with locally, no one would touch the boat. Everyone is into repairing glass boats.

How hard is it to replace rivets for those who tried?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brikatw
    My boy has an old rivited jon boat he uses. This boat takes a whooping too. I saw him one time drop it over the side of a bridge to get it in the water. Crazy kids you know. Anyways, he took some of that truck bed liner stuff and did the inside of the boat with that. Worked great too. Not a drop gets in. When I get some cash saved up, I'm going to have my boat done with it.
    Great idea briktaw. W-mart sells a marine epoxy in their boating section. About the same price as JB weld don't know if its better though.
    I'd use a epoxy on leaks before bed liner.
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seen this

A buddy of mine fishes out of a 1961 Quachita ( I believe ) and he has changed every rivet in his boat with stainless steel carriage bolts and stainless nuts. Puts lock washers on them and I think a small o-ring or small piece of gasket material. I worked with him for 8 years and fished out of the boat numerous times and never seen any water in it. I think he grinds the heads off the rivets and pops them out. He said that every now and then one of the bolts would come lose and he would just replace it too.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

I use JB weld for years and nothing else.
    When I do get another leak, it's at a different spot not the one I fixed.
    Make sure you clean the spot your going to repair first.
    I did have some spots on my other boat welded but they didn't last very long. It stress cracked along side of the welds.
    Can't beat that JB Weld.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Repair website

Here is a website that has helped me out in the past.

Aluminum Boat Repair

http://pagebiz.com/bds/aluminum/repair.html

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Brikatw,
    I have often thought about getting my little boat coated with Rino-lining or similar. I am glad to see you had success with it.
    I got a crack as big as the crack of dawn in the floor of my boat. I wonder if that stuff can seal it?
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast