Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Oppose federal ban on lead in fishing tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oppose federal ban on lead in fishing tackle

I received an email from Cabela's (see copy below) about EPA may ban lead in fishing tackle. When I clicked on "clicking here", it took me to the following

Oppose the Proposed Federal Ban on Lead in Fishing Tackle

Keep America Fishing

--------------
    "September 2, 2010

Dear Cabela's Customer:

Occasionally, an issue of such importance arises we feel it necessary to contact our loyal customers. With our fishing rights at stake, this is such an issue.

On August 23, 2010, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and others to ban lead from ammunition and fishing tackle, including sinkers, jigs, weighted fly lines and components containing lead, such as brass and ballast in lures, spinners, stick baits and other fishing products.

On August 27, the EPA denied the petition regarding ammunition, but let stand the petition to ban lead in fishing tackle and has opened a short period for taking public comment.

Such a ban would cause prices of fishing products to skyrocket. Alternative metals can cost from six to 15 times more than lead, and most do not perform as well. For many, fishing would no longer be the affordable sport it is now.

Please join Cabela's and Keep America Fishing in opposing this ban by submitting your comments to the EPA no later than September 15, 2010. You can easily do so by clicking here.

It is a fast and easy way to assure your opinion is heard.

Cabela's is working in conjunction with the American Sportfishing Association and Keep America Fishing to protect our tradition and heritage of fishing.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Cabela's "

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musky Bob View Post
    I received an email from Cabela's (see copy below) about EPA may ban lead in fishing tackle. When I clicked on "clicking here", it took me to the following....
    We have a special forum set up for this topic here. Please take a look. This is a serious threat to our sport. The EPA material speaks in terms of "fishing sinkers", but this term is being used to include jigs, RoadRunners, split shot, lead core lines, and all types of weights.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

I've already done it....thanks, Bob...

Post Thanks / Like

got a e mail from janns netcraft today and notified roy blunt

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Folks- The surefire way to be heard is to use the official government comment form at regulations.gov. I've taken the pain out of the process and boiled it down to two clicks, type your name, and whatever comment you want to make. It's easy, fast, and guaranteed to place your comments in the EPA's public record on this proposal. Go to my "Two click comments" thread, here, and you're two clicks away from being heard.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Musky Bob and Corker. Followed the link and sent the message. Everyone needs to do this. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. We all need to be heard. Nuff preachin' from me.
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.......