Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Are we really EPA's target?

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are we really EPA's target?

EPA's proposed ban on lead ammo and fishing tackle may have had fishermen in it's cross hairs from the beginning.

Both EPA and the petitioners (tree huggers) knew that there was no legal authority to ban lead ammo, but they put this proposal on the table anyway. As soon as NRA called their bluff, EPA immediately (8/27) abandoned the idea of banning lead ammo--but left the proposed ban on fishing tackle in place. Inaccurate news reports said that the whole petition had been denied--including tackle. This was wrong, and it drew the attention of fishermen away from the proposed tackle ban.

Very very few comments from fishermen are being received via the official federal web site, BUT there is a flood of comments from hunters and others objecting to the part of the proposal EPA has already rejected! All of these comments are irrelevant and will be thrown in the trash.

We need to increase the pressure.

In addition to steps you may have already taken to add your zip code, name or some other identifier to a large petition of some type, please consider submitting a direct comment via the official site. Comments can be submitted at www.regulations.gov; enter Docket ID# EPA-HQ-OPPT-2010-0681. After entering the site, check the "Document Type" box for "Other." Click the "Submit a Comment" button opposite either of the two documents that come up.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Corker

I've lifted part of your post here and posted it along w/ some of my thoughts on another forum - and will do so on a couple more after that. Got to get the word out - and have this issue get some traction in the fishing community.

I did go look at come of the comments - you are correct - many are on the hunting issue, and sadly - of the dozen or so I've peeked at - only 1 mentioned the fishing.

Thanks for your efforts here....

UG

Post Thanks / Like

Corker

Check your PM's.

UG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grump View Post
    I did go look at come of the comments - you are correct - many are on the hunting issue, and sadly - of the dozen or so I've peeked at - only 1 mentioned the fishing.
    I'm surprised you found one! I looked at 20 or more comments this weekend and did not find one that mentioned fishing.

I can see it coming...EPA will tally all the comments (maybe as many as 1,000 by 9/15), declare the public comment period a great success, conclude that there was very little objection (measured as a percentage of the total number of comments submitted) to a ban on tackle, and announce that it will proceed with a regulation to ban lead tackle. We will never hear that 97% of the comments were irrelevant because they addressed the part of the proposal that was withdrawn on 8/27.

The flow of comments about ammo is relentless--for a reason. Hunting & shooting web sites all over the 'net set up "fight the ammo ban" pages and included easy ways to submit comments. When EPA dropped ammo out of the proposal, these sites did nothing. They are still fanning the flames and encouraging shooters to flood EPA with "canned" comments.

We can play that game, too. By clicking this link, you are one click away from submitting a comment. Just fill in Section 2 - "TYPE COMMENT & UPLOAD FILE" and click the submit button. You can add your name and organization you represent if you want, but that's optional.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that this is a Government with a liberal agenda and no ethics when it suits them. I wouldn't put it past them to edit comments and purposefully make it difficult to both submit and view public reaction to what they are attempting. I suggest making making backups of all submissions in case that they do just that for evidence of public response tampering.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

So are you saying that the amount of comments posted is how they are going to decide the issue?

Also we might want to consider a form letter for people to cut and paste. I'd recommend not saying things like "get a life there's more important things to worry about" or "I won't be able to pour my lead tackle in my garage any more"

USGS National Wildlife Health Center - Lead Poisoning

There are items in this article that could be snipped in support of fishing tackle. However the bulk of it at least to me makes it seem like fishing is the smallest offender, and they should actually be looking at the waterfowl hunting as the biggest contributer to the problem.

Although there are studies supporting the affects of lead on waterfowl etc. Such as

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_inf.../03JCF.W01.pdf

and more articles here: http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_inf...blications.jsp

Not sure we can say it's unfounded, or stupid, or whatever people want to say. It's a fight. I've commented on the site, and sent the comments to my reps etc. for my state. That's all we can do. From what I've learned about dealings with the law and constitution, it's not about right or wrong, it's about money and who has the better show to put on.
    Last edited by mduncan62; 09-08-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I also subscribe to Keep America Fishing they send me all kinds of info on bills trying to be passed, and they always have prewritten letters I can foward to whoever is in charge about where I stand on the issue.
    When in doubt, set the hook.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62 View Post
    So are you saying that the amount of comments posted is how they are going to decide the issue?
    Public comment periods are designed to unearth facts, but also to gauge the public mood and support for a change. In the good old days (before last year), agencies, the Congress, and the Administration actually cared whether citizens liked what was being done in Washington. The number of comments supporting and opposing regulatory proposals mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapala#1 View Post
    prewritten letters
    These things don't get as much attention as a letter that expresses your views in your words. When the staffers see the same text over and over, they move on as soon as they recognize these efforts to "stuff the ballot box."
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    These things don't get as much attention as a letter that expresses your views in your words. When the staffers see the same text over and over, they move on as soon as they recognize these efforts to "stuff the ballot box."
    I know you are correct, but it is good for some people who either don't have time or aren't very good at writing, its not the best option, but it is something.
    When in doubt, set the hook.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I just went and sent in a comment. Trying to do my part
    nothing beats time on the water