Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Vertical Jig Pole and Length

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite Vertical Jig Pole and Length

Was thinking about getting another lightweight jig pole and wondered what others favored. My favorites are 10 ft but Im looking hard at the 11 footers. I normally use a BnM Bucks jig pole or an Outlaw rod. Do I have to sacrifice sensitivity for backbone to get them out of the brush quickly? Thanks for your input.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same spot you were. Wanting to go to a 11' rod but not sure I wanted the extra weight. I ended up with B'n'M Russ Bailey signiture series. It is 10 1/2 ft rod. Great sensitivity and a ton of backbone. I swung our tournament fish in the boat last weekend with it and had no problem. By the time I hollered for the net. I already had the fish swung in the boat. Great rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use the bucks bnm recently I got a Sam heaton super sensitive 10ft and really like it u can feel everything and seems to have good backbone to it

Post Thanks / Like

Lightweight 10' ozark and i've had spoonbill drag me all over the lake and have never broken one that wasn't my fault,lightweight and all of the backbone you'll ever need.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

yep ozark rod or sam heaton, got both and they are great, i use the sam heaton most of the time I broke the tony edgar rod my fault and havent gotten arround to getting another one, both will do you fine

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have 4 Russ Bailey B&M's 10 1/2 Jig poles, why 4? well every time i would take my son fishing he would grab the russ baileys over several other one's in the boat! So dear old dad would have to settle for the others! My vote is the same as Jigging15.....
    Cleland Outdoors Guide Service
    Lake Shelbyville/ Lake Mattoon/IL
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    217-278-9789 or 217-412-5941

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two of the Russ Bailey rods and will soon have 6.
    Thanks Gomer Snerd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In open water I like to use a 7 foot Outlaw to vertical jig brushpiles. By using a shorter rod it is easier for me to keep it in the view of my graph. It is also very light compared to longer rods. I tried a 6 foot rod but it was too short and I kept getting it in the trolling motor. Now if you are dipping trees or shallow water I would switch to a 10 plus rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I been using a 10' Crappie Getter by Homer Humphrey (American Rodsmith I believe is the company that makes or distributes them) for the past couple of months and really like it. I also have an 11 footer but honestly haven't tried it yet. I had a 10' Ozark before that that I broke in half the second time out so I didn't really get to use it enough to like or dislike it (based on what everyone here says though I am sure I would have liked it). I had never heard of the Homer Humphrey rod before, but someone on here was touting how great they were a few months ago so I figured I'd give them a shot, I haven't been disappointed. Got my son one also but he likes to use a 6 1/2' graphite, uses the 10 footer every once in a while but he just prefers the shorter rod.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    I was in the same spot you were. Wanting to go to a 11' rod but not sure I wanted the extra weight. I ended up with B'n'M Russ Bailey signiture series. It is 10 1/2 ft rod. Great sensitivity and a ton of backbone. I swung our tournament fish in the boat last weekend with it and had no problem. By the time I hollered for the net. I already had the fish swung in the boat. Great rods.
    Hey j15.....let me tell you the saddest story you ever heard.....my brother just moved from Vicksburg, Mississippi to Clinton, Mo. and he does not fish....what a waste.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast