PDA

View Full Version : Help with rods for trolling

D Braswell
09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm trying to set my boat up for trolling with 200/300 bandits. I've ordered four Okuma 15DX reels and plan to get BnM Pro Staff trolling rods but can't decide on rod length.

I plan to run two off each side of my 17 1/2 foot Alumacraft Navigator. It's got trolling motors in front and back. I like the idea of NOT going so long that it requires 3 piece rods, unless there's a good reason. What do you all suggest for rod lengths?

feelay
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I like 4' of seperation. I use 2-8', 2-12', and 2-16'

skiptomylu
09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
See The Lip Rippers on this site and he can fix you up with a great rod for pushing which is what I think you would probably do. Here is his site and yes I have a few rods from him and very nice rods, not the cheap kind, but very nice and good job with his work. Tell Leland I sent you.
Cherokee Rod Company 2010 - All Rights Reserved (http://www.cherokeerodcompany.com/)

Skip

creekslick
09-07-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm trying to set my boat up for trolling with 200/300 bandits. I've ordered four Okuma 15DX reels and plan to get BnM Pro Staff trolling rods but can't decide on rod length.

I plan to run two off each side of my 17 1/2 foot Alumacraft Navigator. It's got trolling motors in front and back. I like the idea of NOT going so long that it requires 3 piece rods, unless there's a good reason. What do you all suggest for rod lengths?

The reason for the long rods is to get the crankbait out away from the boat. If you don't like long rods go with planer boards.

ready2fish
09-07-2010, 03:09 PM

I'm one step ahead of you, i just got the same rods last week, i can only use 3 rods per person. I went with two 8 footers for now and plan on getting a 10 ft one later, i used them this past weekend and there a sweet rod

D Braswell
09-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the help. I ordered two 8' and two 12' from Monkscrappie.com .

blairarnold
09-08-2010, 09:34 AM
See The Lip Rippers on this site and he can fix you up with a great rod for pushing which is what I think you would probably do. Here is his site and yes I have a few rods from him and very nice rods, not the cheap kind, but very nice and good job with his work. Tell Leland I sent you.
Cherokee Rod Company 2010 - All Rights Reserved (http://www.cherokeerodcompany.com/)

Skip

The website didn't come up for me.

"G"
09-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I use B'n'M Pro Trollers. When pulling crankbaits, I like a lot of separation. I use a 8 ft and a 12 ft out each side of the boat....and I have two 10 footers straight out the back of the boat.

DonDon
09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I use the same setup and it keeps the lines from getting tangled as easily when you have to turn sharper than you want to. 8, 12 and 16 footers are the way to go in my book

creekslick
09-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I use a 18'er a 14'er and a 8'er on each side.

callshy
09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
The website didn't come up for me.

It came up for me. They should be some real good rod for that price.

The Lip RIPPERS
09-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Your right on, We build them here by hand and spine the blanks for maximum performance. What you see listed are in hand jiggin rods primarily, we are working on a line of trolling rods for 2011 and a new convertible rod...more on that one when I get it prototyped.

blairarnold
09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Your right on, We build them here by hand and spine the blanks for maximum performance. What you see listed are in hand jiggin rods primarily, we are working on a line of trolling rods for 2011 and a new convertible rod...more on that one when I get it prototyped.

Well, it came up this time.

satdoc1
09-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Main thing to remember is at least 4 ft of seperation!

D Braswell
09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
That's the plan - 2x8' and 2x12' now. Later add two 16'.

monkscrappie
09-09-2010, 11:23 AM
/
That's the plan - 2x8' and 2x12' now. Later add two 16'.

Your (4) BnM Pro Staff poles shipped by Priority Mail on Wednesday. You should have them for fishing this week end. Thank you for the order.

Monk Monk's Crappie (http://monkscrappie.com)

spiderkayaker
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
monk, how soon should we start fishing jordan???

monkscrappie
09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
monk, how soon should we start fishing jordan???

I am going tomorrow AM.

Monk

1fishmike
09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
/

Your (4) BnM Pro Staff poles shipped by Priority Mail on Wednesday. You should have them for fishing this week end. Thank you for the order.

Monk Monk's Crappie (http://monkscrappie.com)

I just received 4- 8 ft pro staff trolling rods from bnm today, for tight lining. Never owned any before. They seem awfully light a flimsey. Will they do the job. Need some guidance.
I probably should send them back and order from you. Much cheaper.
Thanks for any help

monkscrappie
09-12-2010, 08:25 AM
I just received 4- 8 ft pro staff trolling rods from bnm today, for tight lining. Never owned any before. They seem awfully light a flimsey. Will they do the job. Need some guidance.
Thanks for any help

The BnM Pro Staff poles are sensitive when used with a 1/16 Oz jig only, while also remaing sensitive when used with as much as 3/4 Oz weight. These poles have enough backbone to pull crank baits.

I use them for long line trolling and vertical trolling with weights.

Monk

ready2fish
09-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for any help

i also bought 2- 8 foot rods and thought the same, after using them i realized that they worked perfect, i also was pulling a 1/16 jig , it is sensitive for that with plenty of back bone for me the land a 26 inch pike pulling cranks, i know i will buy more of them .

1fishmike
09-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the info. Wish I'd known about Monk"s before I ordered from BnM. Sounds like I need two 12' and two 16' footers for pulling cranks.