Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labor day slab in NY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Labor day slab in NY

My wife and I went out fishing for her birthday since the day was much cooler than a week ago and less windy than the day before. Other than the bass and picks we both caught, slabs were schooled in two places out in open water: around a very large boulder surrounded by 8' and over a large hump surrounded by 10'. The action lasted one hour in each place and then turned off.

She had on a sassy shad type lure, with the belly cut off to make for a slimmer profile and slinky action. It was rigged on a 1/16 oz ball head.

My bait was Power Grub design rigged the same and a Bass Assassin small rat tail rigged on a 1/32 oz ballhead. Both of us used light action rods; she with 6# test trilene XL and me with 8lb test braid.

Needless to say, the fish were down only 3-4' from the surface.

Best bite was 1-2:30 pm under a bright sunny sky, water temp 73 degrees and wind from the south at 15 mph.

Schooled fish will be the rule as the temps cool and the water clears.

Post Thanks / Like

senkosam...long time no see bud...nice report, thanks for sharing the specifics.
    Roaming the banks of the Kankakee River and anywhere else fish might lurk.

Post Thanks / Like

Also good hearing from you again Fish. Been a long time.
    Always enjoyed your posts.

Never did much ultra light for panfish, but I think I'm going down to 4# test just to see if there's a difference, 6# test braid even (2# diam). I like the zero stretch of braid, but like 1/32 oz lure better and 8# test braid doesn't cut it (except for yesterday).

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to play with 2 and 4 lb. test extra limp line for my crappie fishing...I'm able to cast 1/124 oz. jigs when the condition demands a more subtle approach. I use 1/32 and 1/64 oz jigs the most, but when they're really negative I jump to the other two extremes...really small, and larger than what seems right.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the bass and picks we both caught
    What are you refering to as picks?.... Chain Pickeral or Walleye?

I ask because my wife is from Canada and calls Walleye Pickeral, and refuses to call them anything else!:D

Post Thanks / Like

I'm able to cast 1/124 oz. jigs when the condition demands
    I didn't even know they made jigs that light! I think my hooks weight that much.

I will drop down to 4# this weekend.

Thanks Fish

Chain pickerel. The lake has quite a few including a 5 lb caught in a May. I've been losing too many large bass frogs and 3/8 jig+trailers to those baracudas . I started using wire leaders. We'll see if they can cut through that!

Seems the XT line in 6lb is tougher for the pics to saw through than 20# test braid. Maybe it slips between their teeth. LOL

At least I didn't lose any crappie lures Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

it's possible they're not cutting through it at all...a lot of times pike thrash and turn hard against your line and cut it with their gill plates - they're sharp as a razor. I caught a 39 inch pike on 4 lb. test line, and lost a good bass bait to an axe handle sized one using 20 lb braid...go figure, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

good catch

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a fine day of fishin.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by senkosam View Post
    I didn't even know they made jigs that light! I think my hooks weight that much.

I will drop down to 4# this weekend.

Thanks Fish

Chain pickerel. The lake has quite a few including a 5 lb caught in a May. I've been losing too many large bass frogs and 3/8 jig+trailers to those baracudas . I started using wire leaders. We'll see if they can cut through that!

Seems the XT line in 6lb is tougher for the pics to saw through than 20# test braid. Maybe it slips between their teeth. LOL

At least I didn't lose any crappie lures Monday.
    braid is far less abrasion resistant than mono. i always use a mono leader when fishing around structure with braid main line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast