Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help.................

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Help.................

I have started trying to raise my own redworms.

I started them in 48 quart plastic storage boxes. 20 worms in each box became so numerous that I had to move them to something bigger.

I have two old deepfreezers (about 22 cubic ft. ea.) I have the worm bedding in and have transferred the worms.

Twice they have decided to escape. I don't really want to put a light in the boxes because there is no electricity where I have them, and don't need the heat that would be generated by a light bulb. Also I am feeding Purina worm chow and I think they might not come up to eat if there is light in the box.

My question is, is there any sort of flashing or something that I can put around the wall of the box that they can not past?

I am new at this and would really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks

David Winston

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just use some screening like for screen doors.Make a frame to fit tightly around the openning with a bolt coming through on each of the four sides and use a wingnut to tighten it up.There must be a reason why they are running.Moisture level,PH level,SOMETHING.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Two things will make them try to run out....not enough moisture....or too much moisture.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I may have to much moisture. Last week when I got these boxes ready and before I put in the worms, I went back and spent a good bit of time adding water and getting it stirred completely throughout the bedding. I was a little bit scared then that maybe I had it to wet. This morning, after I got all of them back on the bedding, I left the lids up so the daylight would drive them back away from the surface. Right now it is 88 degrees and a good breeze blowing. I will leave the lids up until tonight and hopefully get rid of some of the moisture. Up top anyway.

When I had the worms in the plastic containers I would sprinkle water on them about once a week and I think it may have been dryer then.

I hope drying it out a little will work. I would leave them raised tonight with a light on them but I am afraid it might rain a little bit. If it gets to dry I guess they will go down a little bit to where it is wetter. I have noticed that in the morning when I raise the lid there is a good bit of condensation dripping off of the door shelves.

I appreciate the response. Maybe with everyone's advice I will learn how to be a worm farmer.....................I already know it beats fooling with cows.

Thanks

David

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I am using now. It has a locking lid. I have folded newspaper on top of the bedding. I will take and dampen the newspaper about every three days. That is all the moisture needed. Keep the newspaper just damp not "WET!"

My bedding consists of shredded newspaper, manure, peat moss, and garden miracle grow soil.

Feed them cornmeal. My container does not have bottom drain holes in it at all so the worms do not crawl out the bottom. . I keep the bedding mixture at about 8 inches because it is easier to stir or to let air circulate. I have about 20 1/2 vent holes in the top. There is screen wire (very fine) siliconed on the underside to keep the worms inside the container. They are kept in the garage where it will not get too hot or too cold.

Feed them cornmeal and tea bags. You should be good to go and have worms when you want to go fish.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

How many worms in the container before they become overcrowded?

Here are some shots of my boxes

Maybe I am trying to do this way to big. As I said before, the former worm grower down the road here said I had them too crowded and that would inhibit growth.........I dunno

They seem to be feeding with the lid open and in full light (they are in the shade)

David

Post Thanks / Like

What an outfit you got there.Just make sure that when you grab a fistfull of your bedding and squeeze it that it clumps in your hand without dripping any liquid at all.That is my test for moisture level.I have tested it with a meter and when you can squeeze without a drop and the bedding clumps tight in a ball in your hand without dripping it is usually right at 60 %.Right where it should be.Put some eggshells in a food processer and make them into a powder.Sprinkle some on top of your bedding about once a week to keep the PH level to about 7.They will do that for you.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azslabber View Post
    What an outfit you got there.Just make sure that when you grab a fistfull of your bedding and squeeze it that it clumps in your hand without dripping any liquid at all.That is my test for moisture level.I have tested it with a meter and when you can squeeze without a drop and the bedding clumps tight in a ball in your hand without dripping it is usually right at 60 %.Right where it should be.Put some eggshells in a food processer and make them into a powder.Sprinkle some on top of your bedding about once a week to keep the PH level to about 7.They will do that for you.
    oyster shell will work too, you can get it in bulk at most feed mills. They put it in chicken feed.

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere on the net that powdered limestone would work. Maybe I can get some at the garden center at Lowes.

I removed the Worm chow and gave the bed a good mixing and also sprinkled a little water from the bottom all the way back to the top. It cooled the bedding down some and it was not quite as hot this morning as it has been. Still had some worms sitting at the door seal when I opened up this morning but not as many as it has been.

I put a layer of shredded news paper on top and wet it pretty good.

I appreciate the help. Maybe I will get this solved soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Once you get the moisture level to where it is right.Put some dry shredded newspaper around the edges of you bed around the wall so the worms would have to crawl through it to climb up the sides.They don't like it.Should keep them in the dirt.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast