Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the first fish you remember catching

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the first fish you remember catching

The one I remember best was when I was about five. My dad had taken me to a local fishing hole. It was a small pond that had a canal that accessed a 9000 acre lake. The pond it self was small, but produced some nice slabs. At the time I had no clue as to types of fish and didn't care, I was fishing with daddy! The pond had a little pier that was about to fall in the water. Which of course held fish and through the years people had put cover around it. Anyways, I remember my dad took special care that I was rigged and in the water first. I was tickled. We were using telescoping bream poles at the time with minnows. My dad had turned his back to set up his rig and all o f a sudden I felt a big tug. I tightened my grip and held on. I remeber I was so excited I couldn't get anything out of my mouth. By the time my dad realized what was going on, the fish had already pulled me to the other side of the peir. Just before I fell in, rod in hand, my dad grabbed me. He was so excited, telling me to hang on. Finally the big rasccal surfaced. It was a 10lb long nose gar. The ugliest fish I had ever seen,but I wouldn't let daddy throw him back. I had to take it home and show it to momma. Luckily I didn't ask to eat it. Needless to say I didn't fish any more that day, I played with my fish.

If you have a good first catch story post it...
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how old I was, but remember catching perch out of a ditch
    right in middle of town, in front of the folk's house who I stayed with,
    with a piece of twine, a safety pin, and worms dug up out the garden:p
    no pole, just hand-lining. Then got a 202 Zebco and rod, man that was
    something. Caught punkinseeds out of the creek behind our house, and
    made the mistake of puttin' them in an aquarium with store-bought fish -
    next morning, nothing left in the tank but them - boy was I mad
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I remember going to a farm pond with my daddy and catching some huge bream. We called the pond cow-patty pond because the cattle the farmer raised left cow patties all around it. They since filled the pond but I think about those fishing trips to the pond every time I pass down that road.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

The first fish I caught was a crappie. I remember being 4 or five years old. We were sitting on a levee between two lakes. It was a lake behind Horseshoe Lake, we called it the Dollar Hole, however, I think it was really called Bruins. You paid a dollar to go sit on the bank to fish. !st crappie I caught was 2 3/4 pounds, dad had to help me get it in. The cane pole was too long for me to handle with that sixe of crappie on it. But I do remember it, dad was tickled to death.

Post Thanks / Like

Default first fish i remember catching

It was a small bream out of the french broad river just under the I-40 overpass in Asheville. I was 7 or 8 and me and my friend walked there about 3 miles from my house. I used a lime green lure that looked like an inch worm. I remember taking him home and trying to clean him. (he wasn't any bigger than 3 or 4 inches) I ended up butchering the heck out of him and there was no meat left to cook. That was the only fish between the two of us we caught that day but it was enough to hook me for life.

Post Thanks / Like

My dad was a state park inspector... but not a fisherman... He took me to one of the trout parks in south Missouri (too young to remember which one)...
    The park superintendent was a friend of Dad's... he baited my hook with a nightcrawler and cast it into the stream. A big rainbow took it... I remember Dad's amazement when I actually hooked a fish. I hauled it out of the water, only to watch it flip off and swim away. Been tryin' to catch that fish ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember catching the most bream I have ever caught at one time with some friends when I was ten camping with a piece of line, a stick, a hook and some worms we found. Accidentally put them all in one bucket and they boiled in the July heat!

plainzwalker Guest

My first fish I ever caught was a 2lb largemouth bass. I was visiting my grandma in Arkansas (I believe it was Lake Ouachita) and her boyfriend took me out in the evening on a "party barge" to go fishing. I remember when it fish hit the lure I thought I was going to have a hard attack. I was probably 10 or 11 at the time. Still to this day, I have only ever caught 1 other bass. Hopefully now that I started fishing again things can change.

Other then that I've caught a few trout (Eagle Lake, Nevada and Cave Lake, Nevada), lots of bream (Lake Ouachita, Arkansas), a couple crappie (Arkansas river, won't ever forget that day since it was a lightning storm and hail the size of golf balls) and tons of blue gills (Lake Otay, California). Oh, and the only other fish I've caught, 2 northern pike, (Big Mike Lake, Rose Barracks, Germany). Thats about all the fish I've ever caught.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember the first fish I caught, but here is the fish that I'll remember the most. Me and dad were fishing our farm pond for crappie. I was using a cork and minnow without much luck. I had finally gotten a bite. Well by then I had about fifty feet of line out floatin on the water. I had consumed a few hot weather beverages so I didn't realize that I had that much line out. I went to set the hook and slung my rod tip up into some tree limbs. My line got tangled up in there and it slid across my cig I had in my mouth. The line burnt through and there went the fish with all my stuff. A little bit later I saw my cork pop back up against the other bank. I grabbed the pond boat and headed out. I finally snuck close enough so I could grab the bobber and line. Well it ended up being about an 8 inch bass. Boy was I ticked!:D
    "She's A Bute Clark"

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dang

The first fish I can remember catching was a danged ole puffer fish.. one of them that blows up into a balloon looking spiney thing.

We were fishing off of a dock on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida. I was so proud and pulled that ugly butt fish in. Went to take it off the hook and got yelled at "don't touch that thing!" funny.. I don't remember what happened to that fish. :rolleyes:
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast