Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Message to Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Message to Ed

Ed, i got home early this morning from the fall brawl. I did pretty much as i expected i would with a dead fishfinder, a new lake and 15-25 mph winds, but did i ever enjoy myself. I would like to thank you personally for all that you do to keep this board up for people like me. I had the opportunity to meet people i have talked to for some time face to face and i enjoyed meeting each and everyone of them. My son is wearing the Crappie.com hat around like it is the only cap he has ever had in his life. I , one day, would like to meet you in person also so that i could shake your hand and tell you what a great board you have and thanks for the people i have met because of it. Thanks Ed, i am gonna drop you an email in a couple of days about something else, but am not discuss it in an open room. Thanks again. :D

Post Thanks / Like

You are very welcome fatboy. Yes, the people on the board are great. It's wild because you'd think it would be hard to run the board, but they all are, so to speak, "gentleman" and really are great people. I've met only a couple people here in Illinois/Wisconsin that know about Crappie.com, but there are so many more of you down South. And as it turns out, it looks like I will be going to the Teezur Tournament. Awsome, I can't wait to meet some of you guys, especially you fatbot (I see from some other posts, that you're going, cool).

Here's a couple more recent pics of me so you can recognize me at the Teezur tourney should you go:

I could not find the pics of me with Crappie, hmm, I'm sure that means I need to go Crappie fishing more often. Actually, I've done such little fishing this year, it's sad.
    Last edited by Slab; 10-17-2004 at 09:44 PM.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed,

Nice pics! Great to hear you'll be at the Teezur Tournament - it will be an honor to meet you.

Will you be bringing a boat and fishing in the tournament? Will you be there in time to do any prefishing?

I hope to go out some Thursday afternoon and Friday and maybe again Sunday morning so if you'll be there those days and you don't have a boat you are welcome to come out with us to yank up a few crappie. Just let me know, I'll have plenty of room. Should be able to reach me by cell phone - 501-844-9028.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, I've no boat. I'm coming down there in part to visit you all at the tournament, and in part to bring my mother down to visit a close family friend that lives on Kentucky Lake. I've been down there a couple times visiting, and doing a little fishing. I have laid into some slabs, and probably one of the bigest slabs I've ever hooked. I remember I could not believe Crappie came so big. I had that darn fish right there by the side of the boat, I had no net, tried to lift it in, and it came off. As good as caught in my book, although surely a heart breaker had it been a tournament. I don't have any solid plans, and certainly can be down there early, so I think that would be great to fish with you. As long as I'm not going to crowd your boat too much, hehe. I am 6'4" and 240 lbs! I don't want to intrude.
    Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed,

You would be more than welcome. I have a 21' Kenner Center Console with a 200 HP Mariner and take up to 6-people besides myself when guiding so I think we can squeeze you in.

I'll have about a dozen crappie poles too and we generally don't use more than two poles per person.

The only other guys I will have on Thursday are Lee Roy - my mentor and Jim Erickson - a friend from here that will be fishing with Darryl Morris in the tournament.

Darryl plans on being there Friday so Jim will be fishing with him then. I invited Russ Bailey to come along sometime if he can make it but it sounds like his schedule is pretty full. Even if Russ and his cameraman come we would still have plenty of room.

We need to find another guy that needs a partner so you can fish in the tournament. Anybody out there still needing a partner?
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

PS Ed, I've about worn out my second set of Crappie.com shirts I got from you so if you have some XXL (yeah, I like them loose) I could sure use about 3 more. If you bring them to the tournament you'll save me shipping!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds fantastic. I will still have to check with wifey and my mommy, , but it sounds like a plan. I'll see about driving down on Wednesday to be ready for the Thursday pre-fish. This is cool cause I never been in a tournament, and I never "pre-fished". Sounds like a lot of fun, and I will surely learn from this to. Thanks for the invite Jerry. I will be there with shirts in hand, or at least in a bag so they don't get dirty!

BTW, I love your "Pictures" page on your website.
    Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed,

I'll be staying at Mansard Island but will probably put in at Sulphur Creek. Hope to get there around noon on Thursday - will probably go straight to the boat ramp.

Friday, if the weather is tolerable, we'll probably fish from daylight to dark with a break for lunch but can pick you up or drop you off at the boat ramp if you don't want to be out all day. If we fish on Sunday we'll start at first light and probably only fish a few hours.

Richard Williams will be on the water Thursday and if we ask him real nice he'll tell us what area, depth, color etc. to fish so we won't have to look too hard.

Yep, my picture page is my "Hook". People see what we're catching and that anybody can catch fish and they are ready to book a trip. I've not seen another guide site that has pictures from every trip.

I'm looking forward to spending some time on the water with you!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ed and Jerry

Hey Guys:

Good to see that you are coming down this year Ed. I know you will have a great time at the Tournament. It's a lot of fun. Last year I too brought my mom and she actually fished with me and caught the biggest fish in our boat. LOL. Dad would have been proud of her. She use to row the boat around in the bay down at KY lake while dad sat in the front of the boat casting for bass. He convinced her that it was good exercise and that it would help her keep her figure. LOL. She was just being a good joe and didn't mind letting him fish. Most of the women will want to go shopping or just stay home.

I had a great time last year and got to meet a lot of the people. I still run into them at crappieUSA tournaments and at Patoka Lake this Oct I saw a TeeZur Crappie Jigs hat. Maybe next year I will see some Crappie.com hats and "T" shirts on some people at the Patoka Lake Crappie USA Classic Tournament.

I am trying to talk a friend that frequents this board to come down but he works a lot on Saturdays and both of us are waiting to see what the weather will be like.

Jerry save a few for the rest of us now. If you and Richard both go out on Friday all the fish will have sore mouths on Saturday. I know that Richard has to carry a click counter to keep track of how many fish he catches. Maybe I should bring my three column click counter. I use it to count asbestos fibers when viewing an air filter under the Phase Contract Light Microscope when I do asbestos fiber monitoring. Never thought I would use that devise to count crappie though. LOL

Hope to see you all there if the weather is nice. If it's windy, raining and only 40deg then I will be at home thinking about you guys. Now if I ever get me one of those artic fishing suits that is waterproof then I may join you in the foul weather. Last year it was 70 deg during the Tournament and it we had clear skies but it was very windy.

Sulfur Creek is a great place to put in and I think that if you ask Richard nicely that he would help you find that ramp. Speaking of Sulfur Creek I found a spot or was shown a spot on Patoka Lake that reminds me very much of the Sulfur Creek at KY Lake. It's a simlar spot where the river channel comes close to the mouth of a bay and makes a big horseshoe bend in the river channel. Be prepared to catch big shad and or freshwater drum at the mouth of that creek. last year my first fish was a 4lb freshwater drum and I though I had a 4lb Crappie at first. LOL Then I caught two of those big shad that were at least a foot long and they even fought pretty good. I have caught big shad down there in the past on crankbaits of all things. I would not be surprised to see a few catfish being caught if you are using minnows.

Went fishing at Patoka yesterday and hooked up with Larry from Southern IN. Man can that guy catch crappie. He caught about 23 to 25 crappie in just under 8 hours. We fished from around 10 am to about 6 pm.

Water conditions were as follows.

Light wind which switched from the South to the NNW.
    Blue skies with scattered white clounds
    Water Surface Temps were in the mid fifties and in some spots on the main lake it rose to about 60 deg. Sort of like a warm spot in a swimming lake.

Water was stained and the lake appeared to have turned over somewhat.
    We observed lots of small yoy shad swimming along the surface in the back 1/3 of the bay and they were all less than 2" long. They must have just been hatch this fall or late summer. Those are the smallest shad that I have seen in a while Most of the shad that I see on my home lake are about 5 to 6" long and that was in the month of Sept that I saw them on the surface of my home lake waters. So these small shad at Patoka were good size for crappie to eat.

Didn't take a bottom temp reading as I left my temp probe at home yesterda.

We caught most of our fish at 14 to 17ft deep over structure along an old ditch. Actually there is one main ditch that runs though the area with lots of ditches running into the main ditch. The main ditch runs out and joins a small creek channel and then empties into the old Patoka Lake River channel

Saw one of the professional guides come into the bay at 20 mph and making huge waves. He rocked my boat twice that day. He had a party with him of three people and he just stared at us and didn't wave or anything. Guess he wanted to fish our spot and was upset that we were still there. . Wish guys would slow down when they come up close to people that are already in a spot and fishing. Those waves can travel all the way across a bay and really rock a boat.

We fished drop shot style and Larry also cast some jigs. Larry caught most of his fish on a #4 plain gold crappie hook tipped with a smal 1" long crappe minnow. Note: Stay away from the Eckerty Store when buying minnows. They have the dirties water I have ever seen in their holding tank. I had them put 3 dozen minnows in my white plastic bucket and I could not see the minnows in the bottom of the bucket as the water was so dirty. I had to dump that water out and put lake water in my bucket to make sure that the minnows survived the way home. Next time I will buy my minnows at Hook Line and Sinker as they have much better water. Clear and blue and without any sediment in the water. I told the woman at the Eckety Store about the dirty water and she said that I was the first person to say anything about that. I sort of doubt that but didn't push it. The minnows did last the day in the dirty water only because I used an aerator and aeration stone to keep dissolved oxygen in the water. I should have saved a sample of the water to test for nitrates as I bet that they would have been sky high. I know dirty nitrate contaminated water when I see it as my aquarium gets like that at times and I have to clean the aquarium and put in new fresh water about every few months.

We used 6lb test lines and Larry used Strens Maxiflex or something like that and I used the Berkley Iron Silk and Berkley XL 4lb test. I found that the 4lb test Berkley XL line is not strong enough to straighten the hook on my jigs when I get snagged. The Iron Silk 6lb test line will straighten out the hook on those 1/16oz plain lead head jigs that Walmart Sells.

Also I found that if I cut the 40lb test line on my weedless jigs too short that it prevents a good hook set. I thought that making the weedless part of the jig shorter it would help on the hook sets but it didn't and it actually caused me to get hung up more often. So I started using some jigs that had a longer 40lb line hook weed guard and I started catching fish when I got bites. Earlier that day and last week I missed a lot of bites using the shorter weed guard jigs. See my post on how to make weedless jigs somewhere in the forum to understand what I am talking about when referring to the 40lb test line that I added to my jigs to protect the jig hook from snags. Do a search for weedless jigs to find all post on that subject in this forum. I even have a picture posted somewhere in this forum. I stuck a jig in the scanner and took a picture of it for you to see.

The best setup for the day was a 6lb test Stren line and a drop shot lead weight about 1/2oz or more and a KY Lake Crappie rig that puts the top hook standing off the main line by about 4". The bottom hook was taken off the rig and only one hook was used. The top hook was about 12" to 18" above the weight. Larry was bouncing the weight along the bottom and hitting the bursh or stumps with it when he caught the fish. Larry caught most of the fish this day. But I caught the biggest of the day at around 11" long. Most of the fish we caught were between 8" and 9" in lenght but they were fat. I took them home and fileted them last night and have a nice mess of fresh crappie filets in the refrigerator that I plan on cooking and eating today for supper.

Again I hope the weather is nice this coming Nov and that we can all meet to have a good time at the Teezur's fishing tournament. Maybe Richard will give us a fishing report and tell us what is going on with the fish in the Big Sandy Area of KY Lake.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=568

Here's that thread Moose. Excellent advise. Hope the weather is fine, and you do come to the tournament. I don't make many of these events, and it would be great to see some of the major contributors like yourself. I seen that CP is considering it, and he's another I would love to shake his hand.

I'm sure there's alot I'm going to learn from this trip. Wow, possibly three straight days on the water. As busy as I've been this year, It may very well be as much as I've been on the water all year come to think of it! I'll need this, and my Mom could use some time away from Dad too, believe me! This will give her a chance to get out and use that new hip of hers!

PS, I'm thinking of making an archive board that noone can post to, but we can move "good threads" to so they are easier to find. Good Fishing Advise Threads. Right now I'm jsut thinking the one archive topic: Archived Fishing Advise.

Maybe there are better categories to use to break the information down into, Boating Advise, Live bait, jigging, casting...... I don't want to break it down too much, what do you all think?
    Owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast