Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much will it cost to throw away all your lead?

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How much will it cost to throw away all your lead?

If EPA and the tree huggers succeed with their ban on lead jigs, split shot, sinkers, and other tackle items, how much will it cost if you have to discard all tackle items made of lead? Think about what's in your tackle box, your boat, and your garage. Include all that old stuff that looked so good at the time you bought it years ago, but is still in the original packages.

In aggregate, this number could be huge--and a strong argument that the costs of a lead ban far outweigh possible environmental benefits (which have not been proven--or even estimated.)
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

I would more than likely stop making lures all together and fishing would be comes thing of the past for me cause I would have enough money to regear and if I did it would cost way to much
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm a "heard head" it's going to take one or two fines for me before I throw away my lead... then it'll go in the garbage can just for spite!

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'de be a worm fisherman with an old lugnut for a sinker along with my bobber.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    it's going to take one or two fines for me before I throw away my lead..
    Bad plan. The first offense will cost no more than $25,000. After that, continued violations would be willful and the fine would go up to $50,000 per day plus a year in prison.
    Fishing since '50!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I second the "bad plan" statement by Corker ....

Since I'm a "heard head" it's going to take one or two fines for me before I throw away my lead... then it'll go in the garbage can just for spite!
    It's the "hard headed", "I'm gonna do what I want, regardless", "do it for spite" ideology that the tree huggers are looking for .... it only makes their case stronger. What we need is to DEMAND proof (but, not from the tree hugger organizations) that lead fishing equipment is a hazard to wildlife, in enough volume of death by lead poisoning, that it makes environmental & finacial sense to ban it.

So far as I can see, that point hasn't been made, proven, or even legitimately presented. It's just the PETA/Sierra Club/ABC/CDB environazi's & wannabe's attempt at forcing their ideology onto the rest of the American public .... by being the "squeeky wheel". What we need to do is be as professional as possible, in our statements/comments, about the whole matter .... and not emotionally reactionary.

Consider going this route, rather than making rash statements of dubious integrity >>> http://view.s4.exacttarget.com/?j=fe...776d007876&r=0

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    It's the "hard headed", "I'm gonna do what I want, regardless", "do it for spite" ideology that the tree huggers are looking for .... it only makes their case stronger. What we need is to DEMAND proof (but, not from the tree hugger organizations) that lead fishing equipment is a hazard to wildlife, in enough volume of death by lead poisoning, that it makes environmental & finacial sense to ban it.

So far as I can see, that point hasn't been made, proven, or even legitimately presented. It's just the PETA/Sierra Club/ABC/CDB environazi's & wannabe's attempt at forcing their ideology onto the rest of the American public .... by being the "squeeky wheel". What we need to do is be as professional as possible, in our statements/comments, about the whole matter .... and not emotionally reactionary.

Consider going this route, rather than making rash statements of dubious integrity >>> http://view.s4.exacttarget.com/?j=fe...776d007876&r=0

... cp
    Thanks, Pappy. This is the direction I see us going--at least on behalf of C.c. Most of my working career dealt with federal agency regulations. I understand the rulemaking process and totally agree that we need to be objective and specific. Regulators code and sort all the incoming comments on their proposals. When they spot form letters, post cards, or other organized attempts to "stuff the ballot box", they stack that pile together and count it as little more than a single opinion. They also have a single stack for "this is stupid", "I hate it", and similarly unobjective non-specific comments. To be heard, we need to make our arguments clearly and objectively. If we can personalize how a ban would harm fishermen, like CrappieJosh has done a couple of posts up this thread, that adds even more impact.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

To answer the cost question at the start of this thread:

Just considering jigs, sinkers, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and lead-bodied inline spinners, I would lose the use of goods with an initial aggregate purchase price of at least $1100. I shudder to think what the replacement cost would be--for those things that I could replace--using lead substitutes. Realistically, at this stage of my life, with the need to save for retirement, I would not be able to replace two-thirds of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the same guy who "talked" on another thread about minding the
    law And the guy probably deserved to be be beaten And
    now you'll confront a LEO twice, what if he's a tree hugger and beats you
    senseless then rolls your body into the water. Or is the shoe on the other
    foot, if it happens do you want somebody to speak up on your behalf?:rolleyes: Remember we're all in this together!:D
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by split handle View Post
    To answer the cost question at the start of this thread:

Just considering jigs, sinkers, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and lead-bodied inline spinners, I would lose the use of goods with an initial aggregate purchase price of at least $1100. I shudder to think what the replacement cost would be--for those things that I could replace--using lead substitutes. Realistically, at this stage of my life, with the need to save for retirement, I would not be able to replace two-thirds of it.
    I'm with you on this one, I can't even begin to put a price on my lead pro-
    ducts. I've got 10k painted jigheads, 8-9k unpainted, umteen thousand
    lead spoons, Lord only knows how many weights. "chit" that is my retirement!
    And I had a guy give me 10 bags of lead shot. Plus I've got 2 x-ray depart-
    ment worth of lead, and 2000lbs of plumbing. And I think my stockpile is
    pregnant.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast