Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Meldahl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meldahl

Well I was out again today and its still no good, the water was steady 84 degrees. I did notice something new at the locks today, I could not get near them at all, they had something stretched out across the river with some bouys on them with work barges and small tugs staitioned in certain points of the bouys. One of the barges in there was dredgeing the river and the muddy water stretched all the way to the foster ramp. Commercial traffic was stacked up and waiting there turn to get through. I am starting to wonder if we will get to fish in the fall for hybrid and sauger for the way it is starting to look, I guess only time will tell. I thought I would post an update what was going on, closest I got was about 50 yards past bear creek.

Post Thanks / Like

How far down are the barges dredging?
    Can you fish the sand bar or beach or whatever they call it? (Ky side)
    How about the rocks on the ohio side?

Post Thanks / Like

I did not think about it to much but it could be a maintenence thing, but you never know. As for the dredgeing they were what looked like from a cheap pair of binoculars I was useing, they were at the beginning of the lock wall out in I would say the middle of the river. I have seen them dredge things up there before but never this much equiptment in side of dam where the gates are, as for how far down I dont know but if or when I see something else I will post and try to let someone know. I hate to see with gas prices and tackle cost for someone to waist a drive. Also as for the beach it still looks like you can access it from the shore of the ky side. The only bad thing is even with a boat you cant get to the good fishing on the ky side because they have the channel bouyed off for construction barges to run rock back in forth from down river. I was just shocked yesterday with all that was going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meldahl...

Thanks for the report EZGO. i was wanting to hit the river maybe one day this weekend. I am not going now. I will try to hit EFL again, maybe this evening, depending on the weather. My father in law caught a bunch of smaller chubs in the creek behind our house yesterday. He is chomping at the bit to go again. Wanted to go last nite, but we had company. If we go, I'll post a report.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

ezgo, thanks for the report. A friend of mine was going to go there. I'll let him know whats up.

Post Thanks / Like

The barge traffic and activity you are noticing is because they have started construction in the hydroelectric plant that is going in at meldahl dam. From the looks of it the plant will be located on the Kentucky side. Construction will probably take many months. Ohio side should be fishable.

Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing in and around the Locks today and it is still slow, I snagged a carp and that was it, water is stained to slightly muddy. The water temp was 79 in the morning and by the afternoon it was 81.50. They are working on the locks also, both locks had barges with cranes on them working on the lock gates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezgo View Post
    I was fishing in and around the Locks today and it is still slow, I snagged a carp and that was it, water is stained to slightly muddy. The water temp was 79 in the morning and by the afternoon it was 81.50. They are working on the locks also, both locks had barges with cranes on them working on the lock gates.
    I bet they're just trying to get everything done before the water cools down so they won't bother the fisherman once the sauger move up:D

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the dam today, quite a few hits with now hookups, trying to fish for the hybrids. I did see them in the middle gate way out there, water was stained and temp was the same as yesterday, should be getting ready to break loose. If there is anybody going out in the morning and if there is any fog on the water becareful because there is a peace of drift about a 100 yds away from the lock face in the middle of the river. It is only showing around a foot out of the water. Yesterday it was 50 yards off of the lock face in the middle of the river and showing I would say 2-3 foot out of the water. There was quite a few boats out today fishing. I am seeing more activity in the water, boils scattered around and bait out roaming around.