Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Growing Bamboo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Growing Bamboo

I read this forum every night and have been doing this for over a year, and it is great. I have made twelve pvc beds and placed them in Ky. Lake and now I would like to make some bamboo condos. Where can I get seeds or shoots of bamboo to plant so I can grow my own. I don't know where to find it to cut, so I thought I would just grow my own. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have learned so much on this site and I want to thank all of you for making it possible. Thanks!!! <>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Just find a place where you can dig a couple of the under groud stolens and plant them about 3 in. under the ground. Don't do this unless you have some ground you don't need. YOU WILL GO TO BED ONE NIGHT AND WAKE UP THE NEXT MORNING AND HAVE A HALF ACRE OF IT . ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

i 2nd what bait runner is talking about. bamboo is really aggressive plant. so read up on it 1st be4 you go planting bamboo.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replys, now all I have to do is find some. That was my purpose of growing my own, because I did not know where to find it. Thanks again<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad this question was asked . I have been doing the same thing. wondering how to grow it . All we have around here is cane and it is little and good bushy stuff is hard to find. I know there is certain kinds that grow faster but is there a type that is preferred for condo's?
    Also what is the type ground you wish to plant in. I am sure moist soil would be better but how much sun does this stuff need? I am wanting to grow some primarily for crappie condos but will be for a property line break also next to some a low lying wood line.
    Also how long ( if planted this spring) would it be before a man could use it for this purpose? I know this is a lot of question but yall have the answers and Lord knows I need the help. Thanks in advance.
    Jesus Saves!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The kind I have is the Japanese bamboo. It grows very fast and grows to 12 or 15 ft. tall. Mine is growing in shade and sun in rich soil. It is growing in some woods under tall trees. I would guess if planted this spring you would be able to cut some late summer. When I was a kid we cut these for fishing poles. Hung them on tree limbs by the butt and tyed a brick to the small end and let them dry out, made decent poles. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Growing Bamboo

Jack -- if you're thinking of growing bamboo, or even cane, your yard you really need to think it through. Like some of the other posts have said, it is aggressive. Actually, that's an understatement. It can take over is near impossible to ever get rid of. Had a patch of it that was taking over my yard several years ago. It took three years of cutting, digging and gallons of Roundup finally got rid of it.

pomoxisannularus Guest

Default Bamboo...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackllbass
    I read this forum every night and have been doing this for over a year, and it is great. I have made twelve pvc beds and placed them in Ky. Lake and now I would like to make some bamboo condos. Where can I get seeds or shoots of bamboo to plant so I can grow my own. I don't know where to find it to cut, so I thought I would just grow my own. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have learned so much on this site and I want to thank all of you for making it possible. Thanks!!! <>< <>< <>< <>< Jack
    JACK, I am new here so bear with me .. as for the bamboo, my father planted some 30 years ago when I was a kid it works great for all things including crappie structures... the only thing is that I am having a hard time keeping it in check where my mother combats it daily, it is very aggressive sending out runners that pop up twenty feet away, it will grow to lengths of thirty feet but is more comon to about 20..... gotta run in to work will try to catch up tomorrow
    pomoxis

Post Thanks / Like

WAl-mart or other places like Lowe's. in a little pot. That would work. but like everyone else told you. Be careful. This stuff will take over. and after it gets big do not even try to bush hog it. Tractor tires will not work..

If it were me and I was going to plant some. Make a raised bed that you can control. and don't let it get out of it..
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks to everybody, I have five acres which is all pasture. We sold all the horses and I was planning on planting the bamboo in the back corner of our property where we use to dump the horse manure and wood chips. We are only going to live here for 2-2.5 years. We have a lot on Guntersville and we will be building a home there when I retire in 2 years. Thanks for all your help. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast