Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: So what?

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So what?

If EPA decides to ban lead jigs, split shot, sinkers, and other tackle, what will happen if we ignore the rule and continue using lead?

A few posts suggest that rule or no rule, some of our fellow fishermen might stock up on lead and continue using it. Should EPA issue a regulation, that would be a very bad idea.

If issued, a lead ban would be enforced under the federal Toxic Substances Control Act. Penalties for violations of that law could be as high as $25,000 per day that a violation continues. The penalty for willful & knowing violations is $50,000 per day plus a year in prison.

Making matters worse, the law provides for citizen-initiated enforcement actions. That means the tree huggers could be out there looking for violators.

The only way to deal with this is to convince EPA that it should not issue a regulation in the first place.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure those fines and penalties are for companies and corporations and not for individuals fishing with a lead jig on a first offense.

I also think that if your lead jig has an epoxy coating, you have a good argument in court.

Tree huggers are wussies and are usually high on Morning Glory seeds or some other legal crap. Do you really think they would want to interfere with a half hung-over 'Bama Redneck tryin' to catch a Crappie dinner? I hope they have a pair of water ski's strapped to their butt if they do... because they're goin' for a ride!

Post Thanks / Like

... btw, the most dangerous tree huggers are the ones wasted on pigeon droppings, but they're easy to pick out of a crowd because of the white and green circles around their nostrils.

These tree huggers will stop at nothing and will try to lull you into submissiveness with repetitive choruses of "Kumbaya"... they should be dealt with sternly and administered a wedgie of epic proportions!

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    I'm pretty sure those fines and penalties are for companies and corporations and not for individuals fishing with a lead jig on a first offense.
    These penalties could apply to anyone. I agree that small time first offenders aren't likely to face the stiffest penalties, but a second offense would expose you to a year in prison. Is that a risk you're willing to take?
    Fishing since '50!