Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question for SneakyPete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for SneakyPete

I was looking at the fly fishing records.

What criteria do you have to meet? a fish caught on a fly? if so how do you define a fly? on a fly rod? what makes it a fly rod and not a jig pole if both have the reel seat on the end? type of reel?
    Just asking.

Thanks
    Jig Rig
    Ephesians 1:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jig rig View Post
    I was looking at the fly fishing records.

What criteria do you have to meet? a fish caught on a fly? if so how do you define a fly? on a fly rod? what makes it a fly rod and not a jig pole if both have the reel seat on the end? type of reel?
    Just asking.

Thanks
    Jig Rig
    JR - it's really quite definitive.
    The parameters of fly fishing are in the rules - what you can use, how you can use it, and so forth. I put most of that together, and all it amounts to is simply fly fishing in the way it has been and is traditionally supposed to be.
    As far as the jig-pole thing goes, one of the parameters is that the fly be cast by the weight of the line, not the weight of the lure. As far as the reel goes, you really don't need one if you can put the line in a shirt pocket and cast from there. Tough, but it can be done if you are so disposed. Not many folks are.
    The "flies" are the biggest point of contention, but guidelines are also in the rules. The format for submitting a fish caught on fly is self-explanatory. One thing of most importance is that if you don't agree with EVERYTHING in the rules, then don't claim you are/were fly fishing. The rules put everyone in the same ballpark.
    Makes the bragging rights a little more meaningful, comprend?
    If I can help any further, please holler.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Them fly flishing boys are mighty proper and primp some rules...:D

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Adam, I must allow that there are some fly guys who are a little snobbish, but to most of us, it's just another way of fishing.
    Yeah, it is a bit of a challenge, but it's also very self-rewarding. A five-pound-plus bass taken from Lake Martin on a fly that I was speculating for crappie holds a lot more value to me than had it been caught on a Texas-rigged purple worm. The 1000th fly-caught red I took last October will be remembered much longer than the 11000-odd I have caught on spinnerbaits, Dogs, and shrimp. And okay, I confess to becoming a bit smug after my second 40-plus pound fly-caught lemonfish. Still am, too - sue me! :D
    One thing I ask, don't knock it until after you've given it a good try. It is good stuff.
    Pete
    Oh, I was skunked this morning on V-Bay. Didn't hurt a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

ha! just pulling your chain, Pete!:D
    I have an appreciation for the aesthetics of any claimed sport, especially fly fishing, since my gramps was a part of its majesty. I just grow older, grumpier and grind up the food chain where lure presentation/fish size is obsolete when you're just eating. But I imagine those catches will rang true for many upcoming generations and I love it as much as any other sport.
    I might start up my own fishing sport soon

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout noodling for alligator gar? They get big enough to make it really interesting!!
    Pete

docwaldo is offline Moderator LA Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

this thread makes me think of the movie A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT with brad pitt and tom skeerit. great movie. not really about fly fishing, but it shows how strong of a grip fly fishing gets on someone's soul.

doc
    Any man can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a DAD!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    How 'bout noodling for alligator gar? They get big enough to make it really interesting!!
    Pete
    done covered that one, just don't use my arm as bait....
    ever jumped on a small gator?
    gars are more fun when they're as big as a small gator

fishing stories!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micropterus salmoides View Post
    Them fly flishing boys are mighty proper and primp some rules...:D

Adam
    They are that. I took the kids to a couple of there tying sessions at Waddell on Flannery road years back. They didn't seam to want to bother with the young in's.

Jig Rig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    JR - it's really quite definitive.
    The parameters of fly fishing are in the rules - what you can use, how you can use it, and so forth. I put most of that together, and all it amounts to is simply fly fishing in the way it has been and is traditionally supposed to be.
    As far as the jig-pole thing goes, one of the parameters is that the fly be cast by the weight of the line, not the weight of the lure. As far as the reel goes, you really don't need one if you can put the line in a shirt pocket and cast from there. Tough, but it can be done if you are so disposed. Not many folks are.
    The "flies" are the biggest point of contention, but guidelines are also in the rules. The format for submitting a fish caught on fly is self-explanatory. One thing of most importance is that if you don't agree with EVERYTHING in the rules, then don't claim you are/were fly fishing. The rules put everyone in the same ballpark.
    Makes the bragging rights a little more meaningful, comprend?
    If I can help any further, please holler.
    Pete
    Hey SP,

Thanks for the response. Now I understand. You have use fly line and no store bought lure's. The rules due state" rod and reel". No shirt pockets I guess.

My Dad fly fished and taught me and my brothers as youngsters. I've always kept a fly rod handy.

Fly Fished Yellowstone/ Montana a few years ago. Too many rules to be much fun. I was always concerned if I was legal or not. No lead, no barbs, which stream, what time of year, etc. A lot of places all you had to do was drop the fly and the fish would hit it, not much casting involved.

Thought the sac records would be easy to break on a fly rod, but I don't think the $25 record fee would be worth it just to brag.

Jig Rig