Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons why lead should not be banned

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reasons why lead should not be banned

Here are my top reasons to object to an EPA ban on lead jigs, sinkers, and other fishing tackle.

1. Loss of ability to make my own tackle. Home-making tackle is an enjoyable part of the fishing experience, but the melting point of alternate metals is too high for home production.
    2. Cost. If home production of jigs, sinkers, and other tackle items is no longer legal, my tackle cost will increase.

What other reasons can be added to the list?
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is ONE jig head for $5.99 1/100oz
    Round Jig Heads

Now if that does not give you goose bumps I do not know what will.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that it should be mentioned that with the loss of being able to use lead for the fishing lure enthusiest that state fishing lis. sales and maybe evn boating monies to the state would be at a loss.If we can push the all around story of what this ban will do to the state monies for this wonderfull sport we could get some backing from them.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    1. Loss of ability to make my own tackle. Home-making tackle is an enjoyable part of the fishing experience, but the melting point of alternate metals is too high for home production.
    #1 is false, tin is a viable alternative and has a melting point of 450*F, it is more expensive than lead though...maybe not a popular response... but I'm not here to win a popularity contest.
    Last edited by Corker; 08-30-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    #1 is false, tin is a viable alternative and has a melting point of 450*F, it is more expensive than lead though...maybe not a popular response... but I'm not here to win a popularity contest.
    Thanks for helping get our facts straight. The fastest way to have our comments tossed on the scrap heap is to make false claims.

If I wanted to switch to tin, where would I look for raw material & where are prices quoted? Also, tin is less dense than lead. That means that my standard 1/32, 1/16, and 1/8 oz jig heads will be larger in order to weigh the same. How much will the diameters increase? Will the size increase make these jigs more effective, or less?
    Last edited by Corker; 08-31-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

lead returns to its natural state in a very short time causing it to disapate back in to the earth and tin and other stuff takes a lot longger to decompose and return to its natural state
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Without lead,there would be no standard weight on a jighead.Same size,but no weight at all,lol.You would have to tie on an old nut above it.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    That's pure tin. Where do you buy pure tin? If you think you are going to melt your old can after eating the beanie weenies, it ain't going to happen with your Lee pot. :rolleyes:
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    That's pure tin. Where do you buy pure tin? If you think you are going to melt your old can after eating the beanie weenies, it ain't going to happen with your Lee pot. :rolleyes:
    I know nothing about the markets for raw metals, but the website metalprices.com lists the per-pound price of lead at $0.91 and tin at $9.71.
    Those round-headed unpainted lead jigs that now retail for $0.10 apiece will cost at least $1.00 if made of tin.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

The end result is more tax money and it's more collectable this way. Don't
    try the heartstrings stuff, it's obvious they don't care. Their animals lovers
    first, people second. But I'll bet you their being used. Read the New Yorkers
    article on the Koch brothers (Koch Industries) and their use of third parties
    to manipulate society and big business. These people are pros, find and use
    scientific data or heritge can be good also. Use gov. to fight gov. they're
    always ready to spend other peoples money.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast