Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like a Camo boat with no carpet ?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Do you like a Camo boat with no carpet ?

How do you folks like the Camo boat with no carpet for Crappie fishing? All manufactures are making them with no frills, just for hunting/fishing. I am looking at a 2004 Polar Kraft 1885 Sportsman with 90 Yammaha. Seems like they would be hot in summer time and a lot less weight which might effect handling and ride in rough water. Any comments appreciated.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The amount of weight added by carpet wont be enough to matter IMHO. However it will make it quieter and easier to live with. If you have a bare floor with the ribs exposed you have a couple of options. Putting some flotation in between the ribs and putting a thin sheet metal floor on top with some pop rivets will make it much quieter and give you a flat floor to glue some carpet on. Real good setup. You could also just put some carpet between the ribs and that would help with the noise, but if it's glued in it tends to hold water and assorted funk normal in a boat. If it already has a floor and nothing in between, it will a bit noisy. You could drill the pop rivets and add foam and re install. Not as big a job as it sounds. Be careful about how much weight you put where as it will affect the hole shot and attitude of the boat(the ride) when on a plane. I used a cooler full of water to put weight where I wanted it to hold one end down while I was in it alone. Sounds like a good boat you have in mind, lots of them in use. The right trolling motor will help a lot with the handling of the boat on a windy day. Just my 2 cents. My last boat was a 16' aluminum stick steer. while it fit the budget it got too small and being up front pounded me on rough days. Overall I was very satisfied with it, just got old.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

No carpet is the way to go! Carpet is a PITA to maintain!

This stuff is the way to go on an aluminum boat.
    Cabela's Tuff Coat Non-Skid Coating

Sound deadening, non skid, will keep your boat cooler, and very easy to clean!
    The U.S. military uses it on their Coast Guard and Navy vessels.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had a boat it was carpeted. Cuts down on the sound from a clumsy fellow like me who frequently dropped stuff. Plus, IMHO, it just looked and felt better than my previous john no thrills boat.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

As we grow older / weight is a big thing, I stay with the lightest and biggest boat i can handle safely for now its' a 15 foot lowe 9.9 johnson no nothing that isn't neccessary have petisal seats and trolling motor custom livewell etc. and it's getting heavy for this 70 year young guy

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that carpet and a fishing boat don't mix.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 18' G3 w/ vinyl floor and 90 yamaha. It handles great to me but that is all in what you compare it to! The vinyl floor is great as you can just wash it out and you dont have to worry about fish slime and spilling stuff! If your going to fish in windy conditions you are going to need a good trolling motor with an aluminum boat cause they do blow around easy! I bought a MinnKota 24v 70lb Maxxum last year and can fish all day in wind or in current with no problems. My floor is grey and will heat up a little in hot sun but I dont go bare-footed in boat anyway
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of carpet. I don't like the "rhino liner" look or feel.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Default vinyle floor

I just bought a 165 Allumcraft, 50 , 4stk. Yammy. All vinyle interior. I did carpet the side walls with outdoor carpet for sound. I have used this boat on Lake Erie & for inland lake fishing. Just a few points. If the sun is shinning & go barefoot, it does get hot on your feet. Also a heavy morning dew can make it slippery. I know how to walk on it now. Lake Erie perch & walleye fishing , there is a lot of blood. Crappie & gill fishing with worms & minnows can be very rough on carpet. I will never own a full carpet boat. The carpet boats became a craze with the bass guys. I can hose the floor down & it's dry in no time. It's like owning a glass boat. Low maintenance. I want to fish , not shampoo carpets. I can do that in my house for honey-do days. good luck , Don from Toledo

Post Thanks / Like

carpet for me. cordless vacuum and a hose , looks brand new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast