Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod Holder advice

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Holder advice

I have seen some pix on here from time to time of Rod Holders made oe cut out of what appears large pvc pipe or some other plastic. Where can I purchase some od these or are there plans on how to make them. They appear to be slotted so that they can be moved to whatever angle one wants to fish. Thanks if anyone can help.
    Tenncrappie

Post Thanks / Like

I made mine out of 8 inch pvc. Got a scrap piece from the water dept. then cut it into 3inch wide rings then cut the rings in half with a band saw or jig saw to make two "U" pieces that will be the holders. on one side of the "U", drill a 2 1/2" hole with a hole saw. on the other drill a 3/4" hole with a hole saw. Take a jig saw and slice out on either side of the smaller hole to the top. cutting out the slot for the rod to lay in. Leave the other as a hole for the rod butt to rest in. Now just under the hole on one side and slot on the other, drill a couple holes with a 3/8" drill bit. Try to keep them as centered as possible. Take a pencil and draw lines on the outside of each hole to the outside of the other marking Your next slot. Take jig saw and cut out slot. This is your slot to move the holder around. up and down. Be very careful with the jig saw. You are in very close quarters to Your hands and fingers doing this stuff. I made all of mine and took my time with the cuts. Moves very slowly, and watched to position my hand in a fashion where if I slipped, I missed the saw.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same result with a different approach. Mark everything before you cut anything. Large pieces are easier to control. Each 3"ring will make 2. Marking the 3" line and the line it will be cut to make 2. One of the holes for the butt of the rod on each side of the split, and on the other split drill a smaller hole right on the center of the line. Now when you cut those apart the holes are already in place. Now you have 2 pieces that look like a C. Mark center from side to side and end to end and this is for the beginning of the adjuster slot. If you have, or know someone that has a router table, using a half inch bit start the cut a dead center and move it each way as much as desired. This will let you adjust the rods up and down and snug them with a 1/4 20 carriage bolt and washer and wing nut. The job is super clean and they last forever. Crappiefarmer had the right idea, and this is just my 2 cents. Show us when they're done.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I got some made from 6" PVC conduit. PM me if you are interested in them.

Last edited by FroggerZack; 08-28-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added pics

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011