Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great day on the lake.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great day on the lake.......

Made it out this morning for a few hours with Jeepguy Jr, my 10 year old son, and had more fun than I can remember having on the water in a VERY long time. We started the morning fishin minnows under slip floats. The action was kinda slow, but we managed a few dinks. We decided to try a slow vertical/ spider rig type troll. Now I have only done this type of trolling a few times and Jr never has, so I wasn't sure how he would do, or if he would even like it. But he was willing to give it a whirl, so after explaining what little bit I know about fishing this way, telling him as best I could what a bite will look like, and telling him he had to watch that rod tip, off we went. Now let me say jeepguy Jr is a pretty talented fisherman for a 10 year old, but staring at a rod tip while moving at what seems to be a snails pace, in the heat of august is a lot to ask of any one, much less a 10 year old. So in the back of my mind I was sure this would be a short lived venture and we would be back to the slip floats in no time. Boy was I wronge!!!! Its started off a little slow for the 1st 15 mins or so, but Jr kept his eyes glued to that rod tip. I was impressed all ready but what happened next....well....was the start of an awesome time, Jr's rod tip barely twitched, I was going to encourage him to watch it close, but before I could get a sound out if my mouth Jr grabs the rod and sets the hook in one motion like I showed him and lands a dink of a crappie. We high five, I pat him on the shoulder and tell him "awesome job boy, you did that better than I do". He grinned a big ole 10 year old smile, re-baited, set his depth and put it in the rod holder and got him self ready. Bang another bite, another great hook set, and another little crappie landed, we high five again, he un-hooks it, re-baits, sets his depth and is back in action. For the next 2 hours or so this process happened over and over. Light taps or rod bending strikes, it didn't matter, Jr was nailing em, and just kept saying " man dad this is so fun!!!!!" He was like a little man on a mission, and he had his system down to an art. He would catch em, re-bait and get the rod back in the holder at the correct depth in no time flat, grinning from ear to ear the whole time. I kept telling him how impressed I was with him, and how well he was doing, and he kept telling me how much fun it was, telling me he was glad we were fishing today, and he was glad we are best-est fishing buddies. All said and done we caught a decent number of fish, mostly small with a handful just being slightly over the size limit, not our best day as far as size and numbers go by any means, but this one rivals any day of fishin I can remember. What a great time........if he keeps this up he will have me trained on how to vertical troll in no time...... :D

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

nothing like it man, slow-trollin has to be my favorite way to fish. Even began making it work for walleyes(lotta fun nailing a big eye on a crappie rod)

As a kid who didnt get to have those kinda fishin moments with my dad, i can tell you it thrills my soul to see all the posts you make about your trips out, good bad or indifferent.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Man,..... awesome story. as a parent with young girls, I can't wait to introduce them to crappie fishin......
    brings a smile to my face....
    thanks for sharing

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what its all about Jeepguy. Thank you for the great post.

Post Thanks / Like

were you sporting my jigs again ha ha?

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to read your fishing report. Great story of your trip and it sounds like both of you had a good time together. Congrats
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report.....sure glad to read reports like this.....reminds me of a long time ago when I fished with my Dad.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Good times for sure.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

I smiled the whole story. Sounds like great times and thanks for sharing

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story James. It's a bonafide gas to watch the kids face light up, and then have the fish continue to cooperate. Congrats on a great day with the man of the house. More to come I'm sure.
    Tommyboyrn, I raised 2 girls myself and had a ball teaching them all they cared to know. Your best days have yet to come.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast