Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minners

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm becoming a minner dunker.
    I've always thought you could catch a crappie on a jig just as easy as you could on a minnow, but this summer has changed my mind.
    I've been fishing under a couple floating lights I've been putting out off my docked pontoon boat at Riss Lake. Earlier this summer, I was catching them on jigs just fine. But the warmer the water got, the tougher the crappies got to catch. When I went to "meat," they were biting again.
    I went out Tuesday and caught 23 black crappies, two walleyes and two channel cats on minnows, fishing 20 feet down in 40 feet of water. The next night I got lazy and didn't go to the bait shop and just fished jigs.
    I caught 9 crappies and that was it.
    In the spring, I don't think it makes a difference. But in the summer, I think minners are the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I really hate to say this..............but............

I'll be buying minnows tomorrow morning for the first time in a very long time.:o

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you will now be a MINNOW user Bob. I will trade you a MINNOW bucket for all your Speartail baits and a dozen MINNOWS for all your Bobbertail baits. I think there is weekly MINNOWS anonamus meeting you could enrole in. The bite has been tough off and on. Can go one time and hammer a limit in no time. Go back the next day and have to fight to get two or three. Certainly not like last summer. Bob you going to make the weigh in Saturday? Been a while since I seen you to shot the s$&@.

Post Thanks / Like

what ever it takes,when ever it takes it, for as long as it takes it!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree. It's hard to beat minnows at times. Last couple days, I've had great luck catching crappies. All on minnows. In Iowa we can only use 2 poles. For a while both days, I would have minnow on one side, and jig on the other. Changed jigs, used different techniques. All my fish (45 last 2 days) were caught on the minnows. Maybe I need lessons on "jiggin".

Post Thanks / Like

There are times when minners outproduce jigs and the heat of the summer is one of em.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you guy's get all wond up now. I think I want dibb's on OSS's minnr tank. I've fattened out a many nice fish over the years, so the likes of Wally , and Cap's an Coleman could make a living. Feed'n jig's an crank's to a crappie is like putting them on jenny craig. Haaaaaaaaa.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Can't beat what they normally eat!

On my tandem rigs I almost always start with a bareminnow up top and a bare jig on the bottom. If they're nailing the jig, I switch both. If they are nailing the minnow I'll go double minnow. I'd rather use the jigs though.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree, would rather use the jigs

Post Thanks / Like

ALWAYS used a #4 aberdeen hook and a minner. NEVER used jigs till I fished with Monty and Bwillaub and got "converted". I still like minners though. Now I put them on the jig, best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast