Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fatherly advice please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fatherly advice please

I am hoping some of you might share your experiences introducing your kids to hunting.

I wasn't really raised in a hunting household, and although I have enjoyed the outdoors for as long as I can remember, I never hunted until I was in college. I think I actually shot my first dove at age 19 or 20. Then upland birds, waterfowl, turkeys, rabbits. Finally last year (age 32) I shot my first deer after trying for two or three seasons. It was very exciting but I also felt a wide range of other emotions at the time that I'm sure many of you can relate to.

Anyway, my daughter, age 5, is very interested in following in Dad's footsteps albeit at a much younger age. This past Spring, I finally indulged her and allowed her to tag along on a turkey hunt. We sat side by side in a little pop up blind and I allowed her to do the calling while I handled the gun. When a bearded hen came in to the calling I asked her if she would like me to shoot the bird. She said, "YES!". Afterwards, she was very excited to tell all her friends and family about the experience, and I was really proud of her maturity and respect for the animal. Of course we ate it also, and she was proud that she had helped get that evening's meal.

So my question to you gentlemen... What do you feel is an appropriate age to start letting your kids tag along on different types of hunts with you? She's a daddy's girl through-and-through and wants to everything I do. I'm sure I'll get requests for everything from doves to upland birds, waterfowl, and anything else she can think of. In fact, we have been talking about Fall turkey hunting ever since we got the turkey last Spring... She has really been pressuring me to take her deer hunting with me in December. To be honest, I REALLY want to take her with me because I enjoy the time we spend together outdoors and seeing everything from her perspective makes things more exciting and fulfilling for me. BUT... a deer is a big deal. There's going to be blood, and field dressing, and a very large dead animal if we are successful. There's a lot going on for an adult to process, let alone a child.

Can you guys share with me how you introduced your kids to hunting or maybe how your fathers introduced you to hunting? Do you remember if it was a progression from small game to birds and finally big game, or did you do it all at once? I would be very interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks fellas.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations FishTaxi, I started at that age also with my father. The
    short outtings are great to start. Think of it like a new outboard, an easy
    break-in period, by the time they hit 8 I'd say, you'll know for sure. I re-
    member by the time 11 rolled around, hunting was KING, and fishing was
    something we did to pass the time til hunting season. Seems that way with
    my oldest son also, who's now a senior in HS. I created a beast there, not
    really, it keeps them out of trouble. I believe it disciplines(head cold) them
    totally different than any other thing. Your teaching them everything,
    heritage, self-preservation, and the law of blood* to name only a few. Your
    time in the field with your children will only reward you in the future. Kids
    will take what you offer if your squemish about blood, they'll sense that and
    probably feel that way also. It's hard to go wrong, remember "Your the pot-
    ter, and they're the clay". I'd type more, but my typing stinks.

*Law of the Blood- something must die, so something can live
    itage
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insight, Crappiedoc. That is very reassuring.

No, I'm not squeamish about blood. I just have a very deep respect for all living things. I think that having the ability to kill another living creature (as in the blood law), carries with it a lot of heavy responsibility. A hunter should always make good, ethical choices and be a steward to the environment around them.

I was afraid a child might not be able to process the big picture. I thought maybe she wasn't mature enough to understand that we aren't hunting to satisfy a blood lust.

Anyway, I appreciated your analogy about the potter and clay. Hopefully if I continue to take her with me and we talk about the big picture then she will come to understand it before she is old enough to carry her own gun.

If anybody else would like to share their ideas and experiences, please do. I was really hoping I would get more of a response on this topic. I know that many of you also hunt and that many of you are fathers. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

fishtaxi my story is much like crappiedoc,, I believe the earlier u take them the better my dad started taking me with my toy gun when I was 3 ,and thats what i did with my son. For other parents that are facing the same delema you should start small with walks in the woods at an early age teaching them about animals and their behavior. They will at times be ready to go home earlier than you planned thats when its time to go!You mentioned something about the big picture earlier, my son is now 15yrs old, the last 12 yrs have produced a respect for the lives of the animals we hunt and that has taught him the importance of taking ethical shots as a bowhunter. The time you spend in the years ahead with your daughter regardless if its in the outdoors or not will produce lifelong memories for both of you but the most important thing is the INVESTMENT of yourself in the life of the child that God has given you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Woman's perspective...

My dad taught me how to shoot a .22 when I was around your daughter's age, and how to respect a gun. Very controlled situations.

My dad started taking me fishing when I was old enough to walk to the edge of the water... around three.

I could tie a good knot before I went to kindergarten, and bait a hook with worm or minnow.

Killed my first squirrel and dressed it out around eight (nasty). Same age learned how to dress out a domestic rabbit. Followed thru the years with quail/pheasant. Dad always made sure when I was young we ate what we killed, and told me why.

Learned to shoot a shotgun with others in the field around eleven. Started hunting for real with dad and uncles when I was around 14, the "real deal."

Still can't cast worth a crap, because my dad was too helpful.

He was safe, made sure I was always safe, and it was all priceless. Glad he never listened to my mom's tirades. Never have shot a deer. Dad couldn't stand to, so neither can I. Altho' I know it's okay to do so.

It's all about the "talk" that goes with the walk. Hopefully helpful. And good for you. I'm still at home in a hardware store. There's a reason for it.
    [url=http://www.TightLinesKS.net[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight, WaterWitchin'.

I don't think my daughter is quite ready for a .22, but I sometimes think about pulling out my old BB gun and a pile of aluminum cans. My dad sawed down the stock on it for me when I was about her age, so it would probably fit her just about right. Maybe I'll save it up for a lazy Sunday afternoon...

Post Thanks / Like

LOL... didn't say I was "ready" for a .22... but we didn't own a BB gun.
    [url=http://www.TightLinesKS.net[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

goode stuff water good jokes also gettin better imfo off topic than on topic

Post Thanks / Like

:D That made me smile, WaterWitchin.

Yeah, the fishing forum is getting a little slow. I'm about to post some pics of doves or prairie chickens over here.... if I actually manage to hit anything when I finally get out.