Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To All of the Hall of Fame Troller Fishermen

Post Thanks / Like

Question To All of the Hall of Fame Troller Fishermen

Has anyone run out of battery while trolling before you stop fishing? I hear some guys say they trolled all day and never mention running out of battery. If I run my trolling motor battery continuously on speed 1, it will die in about 3 hrs. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this? Should I just buy another battery and switch the cables when one dies? If so what'sthe best way to extend the cables to the new battery so I don't have to move the fresh battery to the dead battery location? Just tryin to get ready. Jigs twitchin..............cd
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Most of your trollers are using variable speed trolling motors in 24 or 36 volts. This allows you to pull off of multiple batteries at the same time and use a lot less current. You can go all day and still have battery power left over as you can troll at much lower speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

All I have is a dry cell deep cycle Optima and a 12 Volt TM and I can run it for MULTIPLE trips that last for HOURS on 1,2 and 3. 5 really will drain it, but I can use it on 5 for almost all day. Not constantly running on 5 (meaning it was too bad to be out there anyway) but bumping it around stuff on 5 all day is the norm if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12v Minn Kota and run it on two batteries (parallel connection) and have never ran them down. I also have a on board charger and plug the boat up everytime I return home.

As for improving your setup, get an on board charger, use a large diameter (8 or 10ga) strand wire when you rewire your TM. The larger the diameter the less resistance and heat build up in the wire and use quality batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24 volt Minn Kota and can fish 3 days off it. And that is staying on the T/m hard and about 40% to 60% most times.
    Pete

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Troolin Moter

HAD A 12VOLT M.K. AUTO PILOT --RAN ON ONE BATTERY 5-6 HRS AND I COULD,NT SEE ANY DIFF.
    GOT A 24 M.K. NOW ON 2 BATTERY AND IT WILL GO ALL WEEKEND IN GOOD SIZE WIND AND STILL KEEPS GOING
    I,D SAY YOU NEED A VARIBLE SPEED MOTER
    SOME ONE POSTED A BOX [?] YOU CAN BUY THATS UPDATES THE MOTERS TO VARAIBLE
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie dog
    Has anyone run out of battery while trolling before you stop fishing? I hear some guys say they trolled all day and never mention running out of battery. If I run my trolling motor battery continuously on speed 1, it will die in about 3 hrs. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this? Should I just buy another battery and switch the cables when one dies? If so what'sthe best way to extend the cables to the new battery so I don't have to move the fresh battery to the dead battery location? Just tryin to get ready. Jigs twitchin..............cd

used to have that prob.years ago switched over to minnkota power drive hardly ever go higher than3-4 on speed. But i dont stay alday either.If i dont have at least 15 over 1 lb. by 9am im on the ramp ,i show up emty a few tims haha

Jimfish Proud Vietnam Vet.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

www.vexilar.com makes a box called moto max that converts the older trolling motors to variable speed.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Yo, Dog ....

sounds like your battery isn't holding much of a charge. Have you checked to see if it is "actually" being fully charged ... other than the charge indicator on your battery charger ?? Hopefully you aren't using a car battery ... but, if you are --- there's your 1st problem.

Here's a couple of websites that tells you more than you'd ever want to know about battery charging & maintenance -
    http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Hope they help ................. luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwightparks
    www.vexilar.com makes a box called moto max that converts the older trolling motors to variable speed.
    Thanks, I never saw one of those. I have little desire to replace something that ain't broke. But I will make something old into something new.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast