PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an Underwater Camera?

crappiewannabe
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
:confused: Ran into a guy last week that caught a good mess of crappie, when asked about it he said he uses one of those underwater cameras - looking at each piece of structure till he sees fish. Said he would fish without one now.

Anyone here have any experience with them? Would you recommend plunking down $200-$300 for one?:confused:

Ridgedogs
01-29-2006, 08:18 PM
i always wanted to try one but i've havent bought one yet

bentpole
01-29-2006, 08:29 PM
A friend of mine has one,The only thing is the water has to be REAL CLEAR to see anything,I mean almost to the point to where you have to bump his nose to see it.

Rod & Reel
01-29-2006, 09:14 PM
:confused: Ran into a guy last week that caught a good mess of crappie, when asked about it he said he uses one of those underwater cameras - looking at each piece of structure till he sees fish. Said he would fish without one now.

Anyone here have any experience with them? Would you recommend plunking down $200-$300 for one?:confused:

I have a brand new Aqua-View (put in the water twice) that I probably would sell. If interested send me a PM. R & R

Eager Beaver
01-29-2006, 09:44 PM
A friend of mine has one,The only thing is the water has to be REAL CLEAR to see anything,I mean almost to the point to where you have to bump his nose to see it.

Not true. You can't use it in Dirty water but will work in stained water. The better the camera the better the view.

Mopar Matt
01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Not true. You can't use it in Dirty water but will work in stained water. The better the camera the better the view.

Exactly, like most everything in life you get what you pay for! I have one that we use mostly to check brushpiles and under docks with. The more lights on the lens unit the better the viewing distance.

bentpole
01-30-2006, 05:05 AM
Don't know his may be a cheap one,I was just telling what I seen,& Eager Beaver It is true ,as I said with HIS you can't see s*$@#.

MTM
01-30-2006, 05:29 AM
I used one for several days while ice fishing with a friend a few years back. All I can say is it is real neat to watch a fish swim up to your jig and just set there and look it over from about an inch away. Then back away. Then when you move it just a bit they come forward and look at it again. The lake we fished was clear water.
I have to say I lerned a lot by using that camera. Kind of neat to be able to see the fish react to your lure. I learned how to move that jig to make them hit it. Nothing that the my 70 year old friend didn't already know without the camera. LOL By the way his wife bought it for him as a gift. Nice wife Ron :)

markd85
01-30-2006, 09:03 AM
How many different brands are there and which is the best? Thanks.
Mark

labill
01-30-2006, 09:25 AM
There are a number of cheaper cameras out there, but I put my money on the AquaView. It's interesting to see how fish react to the camera, sometimes they swim up to it and have a closer look, especially catfish. Our water here in LA is heavily stained and is muddy at times, but I can still see the fish at close distances, and they don't seem to be wary of it as they come in to have a look at it.

Eager Beaver
01-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Have to be careful up North using the camera. It is a delicacy for Big Northern Pike. They have eaten serveral camera's.

Jason Piper
01-30-2006, 06:18 PM
I think their amazing! I use one to check on recently sunk brush to be sure they are where I want them! I also enjoy watching the fish on the camera, of coarse who wouldn't? They are well worth the money!

jk888
01-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Harbor freight has them for $89.00. The ones they sell is also a night vision camera. The night vision works good in dcingy water. On mine I use the night vision light all the time.

FIREHELMENT
01-31-2006, 03:25 PM
we have 2 here at fire dept we use on the dive team. ours work real well, its nice to see whats there before we dive and has helped out in night dives. I'll check to see what ours are for sure. I seen i a book the other day they're making one called the quad four cameras one on each side. Would be perfect for fishing. I let you know where i saw it......But bak to the ? if i could afford one i would have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudwitch
01-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Does anyone used a Marcum camera? it seemed to be a little more advanced than the Aqua view . Has a head light and a 360' camera. Any one ever compaired em?

FisherMike
01-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Aqua Vu makes the one with 4 cameras.
I've been thinking of buying one. I contacted Aqua Vu to see if the quad cam can be used with just one of the cameras. I thought maybe one camera would give a full screen picture.
Well it wont. All four cameras have to be working at the same time.
I've herd of the Marcum cameras before and did a little checking on them. The only problem I see is they only have a few states east of the Mississippi they sell to.

TexFisher
02-01-2006, 12:10 AM
I purchased the aqua vu scout? at Bass Pro this winter and I took it out once right after I bought it and couldn't see a thing but a black screen. I then put it on the shelf and forgot about it until I noticed this post. The water may have been too dirty, can't remember, but I think I will try it this weekend. Does anybody have this model? I either payed 199 or 299, it was the cheapest model of aqua vu. Thanks, TF

Illinoisgiller
02-01-2006, 06:06 AM
I have an Aqua View Scout. It is neat in clear water. The distance you can see is controlled by the amount of suspended matter in the water .Even with lights, it is like shining light through a snowstorm. The light cannot penetrate. It bounces back to the source. That is the long way of saying they work better in clear water. It is a major hassle keeping the camera pointed in the right direction. If you have a couple grandkids and want to entertain them- - PRICELESS. :D :D Mike

Illinoisgiller
02-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Attention TexFisher- - You can check your camera at home. It is nothing more than a remote vcr. You may have had it on the wrong setting. The grandkids would play with it constantly if I'd let them.