Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how to prevent jigs turning yellow

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to prevent jigs turning yellow

I started painting and powder coating bass & crappie jigs last year. I like to add eyes to the jigs I powder coat by dipping a drill bit in paint. It may not make that much difference but I like the way it looks and it gives me confidence.
    I originally used a seal coat from Do It on all my lures. I was told that the 2 part epoxy Do It sells would make them last forever and they jigs would never yellow and would look the same in 20 years as the day you first made them.
    Since then I've heard I'm better off using a seal coat because it want yellow but the epoxy will.
    Which is the better coat to put on that will not yellow?
    I need epoxy for my bass jigs because otherwise they will get chewed up in the rocks.
    The reason I need to know is because I want to stockpile as many jigs as I can for my sons and myself to be used for many years to come. I would hate to see all this work thrown away one day. When my grandson is old enough to fish, I want him to know the jigs he's using I made especially for him.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

If your jigs are getting chewed up in the rocks you're not curing the powder paint enough.

I prefer not to put any kind of coating on my powder painted jigs, to me it messes up the finish.

If the paint on your eyes is getting scraped off, just repaint them. Do your jigs really last that long fishing in the rocks? My jigs have a shorter life span than I'd like due to break offs.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    If your jigs are getting chewed up in the rocks you're not curing the powder paint enough.

I prefer not to put any kind of coating on my powder painted jigs, to me it messes up the finish.

If the paint on your eyes is getting scraped off, just repaint them. Do your jigs really last that long fishing in the rocks? My jigs have a shorter life span than I'd like due to break offs.:rolleyes:
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass Bull....SEAL COAT JIGS

Hello Guys....If you want to put a seal coat that is very tuff and stays clear on your jigs,spinnerbaits our whatever you want.I would try 2-ton Epoxy made by Devcon.You can get it at most hardware stores.Wally world in my area doesn't cary it anymore.I buy mine at a Ace Hardware store. Get the 20 min. workup time one,NOT THE 5 MIN.!!!!! I've done hundreds of lures with it and it can take a beating and stays clear. Good luck Bass Bull

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've still got some jigs the fish have practically knocked all the paint off of. I think theyre pretty cool...adds character. For the most part though, mine dont last long enough for me to worry about the paint job. Stickups and brushpiles take a toll on 'em.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default jigs turning yellow

I have a tendency to lose a few jigs myself and that doesn't bother me. I've found the rocks at KY lake can chew up a painted bait with just a seal coat.

Whether or not it helps is debatable but I like to add eyes to a jig. I just use some cheap stuff from Lowes that will easily wash out of the brushes. I figure if it looks real to me, it has a better chance to fool a fish.

Powder coating works great but I think I get a shiny glossy look to the jigs when I use epoxy and it also preserves the eyes. I've also been able to use the same jig for hours and the only thing I did was touch up the hook point every now and then. The jig itself looked as good as it did when we started fishing.

I called Do-It Corp today and was told their 2 part epoxy should keep your jigs looking good for decades as long as you kept them in sealed packages in a container.

When I epoxy seal coat jigs I may do a couple hundred at a time. I hate to be on the water and find I'm running low on either a color or size of a jig the fish seem to be hitting. I also have a buddy or two who stay in need of a jig or two they've been having some luck with.

I've already stockpiled quite a few but want to get to where if I stopped making jigs I'd still have enough to last for several years. I've also found that after you've made your own jigs, the ones you buy in the store don't measure up.

I just didn't want all this work to go to waste because of them turning yellow. I have a little over 500 jigs to get to in the next few days so I wanted to check with some of the people on the forum to get their opinion.

As always, it is very much appreciated. I've learned a lot from this site. THANKS!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I see you're reasonably new, so welcome from Middle Tennessee. We have a jig tying and making section here on CDC and some of those guys really know their stuff, unlike me who is still coming around the learning curve. Any time you want to know anything about making your own, these guys will help you out. They've been great to me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Cure powder paint at 350 degrees for 22 minutes. Then paint on eyes with drill bits. Let dry. Coat with Hard As Nails. Go catching.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I see you're reasonably new, so welcome from Middle Tennessee. We have a jig tying and making section here on CDC and some of those guys really know their stuff, unlike me who is still coming around the learning curve. Any time you want to know anything about making your own, these guys will help you out. They've been great to me.

skeetbum, thanks for the offer. Haven't started tying yet but figure it's right around the corner. Appreciate the offer and may get back with you one of these days to learn a few things.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the two part epoxy from Netcraft for years and have never had any of my jig heads yellow. Now talking to some on other boards they're using the D2 ton epoxy but I'm not familiar with it.

Fatman