Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie fishing newbie here...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie fishing newbie here...

Hello.

Traditionally, I've been first and foremost a bass fisherman (please don't hold that against me). However, my best friend and I have recently went in together on an Aluminum bass boat. He is NOT a bass fisherman, but will go. He loves to crappie fish, but both him and I have previously only done it from the bank during spawn, and from docks. We've both only used light tackle such as 6' 6" rods with spinning reels on them. So, I'd like to start crappie fishing, b/c I know he would enjoy that more than just having me always wanting to bass fish, and I think a happy fishing buddy is better than a pissed off fishing buddy. Fall's around the corner, and I'd like to try and get a little bit of info before we start hitting it hard.

As I understand it, it's a different game with a boat, out in amongst the standing trees, that we have on a lot of lakes here in Missouri.

I recently purchased an inexpensive Wally Marshall combo (12' rod and miniature casting reel - that's what it looks like to me) from Bass Pro. As I understand it, it really helps you to jig out away from the boat and I think a 12' rod would help.

What I need to know: What size and type of hook do y'all recommend? Should I use a slip sinker to give it a little weight? How close to the hook should that sinker be? Is 6 lb. mono sufficient? That's what came pre-spooled on the reel. We'll be mostly fishing with minnows I believe.

Please help. I've heard there is a wealth of knowledge (and the typical lies that all of us fisherman tell!) I'd like to tap into that.

Thanks for the help, and taking the time to respond, if you so choose to.
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation keyser ...

You are absolutely correct that it's a whole different ballgame with a boat :p
    Not only does it open up more territory for you to explore, it also opens up alot of different methods for you to use.

IMHO :

Length of rods is a personal choice, usually based on methods used. So, in your case, any length rod will work. Extra long rods for minnow fishing may be a plus, if your waters are pretty clear, and for reaching out to spots away from the boat.

Size of hook used with minnows, ranges from #4 to #1 .... usually a light wire Aberdeen style. I generally use a #2.
    I also use a removeable splitshot sinker, usually a #3 or #4 ... and place it about 4-6 inches above the hook, depending on whether I'm using it in open water (6") or close to cover (4").

6lb Mono is fine .... I use 4lb test on most of my outfits, now, but I started out with 8lb test (back in my early minnow fishing days).

Welcome to Crappie.com !! You'll get differing opinions from the members that respond ... but, rest assured that they're telling you what works for them.

Crappie fishing can be alot like Bass fishing, but with lighter equipment. Personally, I prefer to cast jigs & shoot docks, over tightlining minnows or trolling ... but, I'll "get like 'em" if those methods are producing better

While you're tied off to some of those trees, and your minnow rods are set out ... you and your partner can try a method I call Vertical Casting. Here's what I'm talking about : Vertical Casting

You might also want to keep tabs on what the guys/gals in your state forum are talking about. Their familiarity with the waters you fish, most productive methods used, etc. will give you a firm foundation to start with. But, don't be shy about experimenting .... some of the best methods used, and most productive trips, have started with someone doing something "just a little different" than the norm.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

welcome and good luck

Post Thanks / Like

welcome aboard, since your going to start in the fall,(good choice) the fish tend to like brush piles,deep bluffs, they hang arround the creek channels and move from deep water to shallow, I catch them on stockton lake in deep brush piles, bridge piers, boat docks, using mostly slab buster jig,and a crappie nibble, my rod of choice is a sam heaton 10 ft. with a pfluger reel, the colder it gets the smaller a jig head I use, when the water drops below 45 dg, I usually swith jigs to a small 1/32 or a 1/64 oz feather jig. working the areas arround structure,brush,tree tops. I troll arround looking for brush close to deep water when I find a ball of bait fish or a stack of fish I work the area till I catch a few or get skunked. depends on what lake your going to fish lots of decent lakes in mo. I could be of more help If you tell
    which lakes your going to fish. anyway good luck and feel free to ask lots of good information on here.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Indiana

Crappiepappy and Beagel man gave you some wonderful advice
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle Man -

I live in Columbia, MO. So, we'll be trying Mark Twain lake and Truman lake probably the most. Unless there are some other places around my area that are good, and very well could be, but I just don't know about them.

Also... Beagle Man - I noticed your tagline. It seems like a take off of a song by Robert Earl Keen called "The Road Goes On Forever". Was that intentional or an accident? Thanks!
    Last edited by keyser_soze; 08-22-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added the last couple sentences
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Middle Tennessee. You're in a good area and with just a bit of trial and error you'll be up and runnin. Crappiepappy has given you some good info to start. Marker bouys are a must. Staying off the top of the fish is the difference of catching a few or a bunch. Real deep water isn't as critical but fall and spring will be a bit shallower than that. And while we're on the subject of season, Crappie are an all season fish. Depth and tactics change, but them fish still gotta eat. I launched my boat last year in 28 degrees and caught fish. But back to the subject. If you can find fish in a treetop or weedlines you can satisfy that cast and retrieve presentation Bass fishermen love. Used to be one myself. 1/16oz bare lead jigheads and tiny plastics account for lots of fish every year. I seldom buy minnows, but they have their place. Pitch to the structure, take a half or one turn on the reel to get the soft slack out. Hold the rod at 10 o'clock, let the jig fall naturally and don't take your eyes off the line. This is why a lot of us use hi vis line, yellow mostly. If that line does anything you didn't tell it to, set the hook from the wrist. Crappie will come from underneath the bait and take it with no thump or wiggle or anything, the line simply goes slack. Reel a turn or two and set the hook. This is a ball and when it's hot you don't want to go home. I use panfish assassins in several colors, like black/chart, albino, black/silver and a bunch of others. There's no action and you impart none except an occasional 1" twitch of the tip which at times triggers them into biting. When you get into your first 50 to 75 fish morning in just a few hours you'll be as addicted as the rest of us. They might not all be keepers, but they're all fun. Good luck, there are no dumb questions, and you've already made the best start by asking the folks out here. Tight lines.......Skeet
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Crappie.Com and to crappie fishing in a boat!
    Starting with minnow will be a good way to find and learn where the crappie are holding and the depths. As you learn where to find em y'all can add a few jigs and learn how to fish them.
    Lot of good info here, anytime you have a question ask it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 370
Size:  8.7 KB From Toledo Bend Texas!

I would suggest a search on this board for topics you want to read about. There are so many different ways to fish for them, trolling several ways & pushing, fishing brush piles, fishing standing timber, and on and on.

Good Luck,
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to C.com keyser. During the hot summer months, I like to troll with deep running crankbaits like the Bandit 300 series. Here's a thread from the MS board that explains it pretty well. In the fall I'll go back to spider rigging with jigs and fishing deep water looking for schools of shad or around structure next to deep water. Good luck.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...nks-101-a.html
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast