Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville 8/21

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 8/21

I heard about the bad weather that hit around the Smithville/Kerny/Holt area yesterday. The drive through town and the water up north had a lot of debris. Must have been a heck of a storm that went through up there. Hope everyone is OK. Today started out calm, hot, and muggy. I hit the lake at 8:00am and was off by 12:00. Not that many people out today. A lot of boats cruising to their spots and anchoring. Main lake had all the active pleasure cruisers.

On some advice, I decided to try some new spots today. Scott (nvrgvup444) has posted some reports on areas he's fished. These aren't secret spots, just places people pass up when they head up lake, small coves and shorelines. I'm not going to repeat the spots, I'll let Scott give them out if he wishes. But, I always love heading into an area that I don't think will hold anything and get surprised with some good fish. There weren't any monster slabs caught, but enough 9-11 inchers to fill up the live well. I'm going to have to learn to slow down, and give some of these places a chance to surprise me more.

Area 1: This is my safety net area. I've gone on about this place for the past two or three reports. These are trees in about 13' of water. Only caught a few here. It wasn't as good as its been in the past. While I was fishing there, out of the corner of my eye I spied a older couple busy pulling fish into the boat (Area 2).

Area 2: I passed the couple up and asked how they were doing. They said the bit was steady, and they were filling up the live wells. They were fishing small patches of trees right around Mecca Road, south of the free boat access area. I pass them up and fished the trees around the free boat ramp cove and all around it. This is a place I've passed by, but decided to try it out. Well, it was the best spot of the day. Fish were in about 10-12' of water and holding a couple of feet from the bottom. If you notice on the map, its says there are foundations in the area. Well, the SI found them. Never knew what this was. Be careful around this area. The entrance guard said the lake is down a foot, and I bounced off a tree following my old route on the SI where I didn't have a problem with last time. People were flying through this area when I was up there. I was wondering if someone was going to loose a skeg.

I used my only long line with blue/char and black/chart both tipped with Crappie Nibblets. Color didn't matter. Water's cooled down to around 84. Clarity up there was getting murky with about a foot or more of clarity.

If anyone made it out today, I'd like to hear how you did. Post a report.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by APKape; 08-21-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from Mecca Road. I warned you last year. There are alligators in the shallows behind the road. There are no fish... only the occasional mine left from secret military exercises. Ignore the stories of fishermen casting jigs and crankbaits from the channel onto the old roadbed and getting bites when the bait as the lure starts down the side of the embankment. Avoid the crazy man in tiny silver Champion. He's insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie View Post
    Stay away from Mecca Road. I warned you last year. There are alligators in the shallows behind the road. There are no fish... only the occasional mine left from secret military exercises. Ignore the stories of fishermen casting jigs and crankbaits from the channel onto the old roadbed and getting bites when the bait as the lure starts down the side of the embankment. Avoid the crazy man in tiny silver Champion. He's insane.
    Mark, thanks for the warning. I'm marking this place off limits on the GPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been for a while to area 2,but spent a lot of time there in the past with the wife.That side creek does not load up with crappie during the spawn!Or catfish after a heavy rain.

I like to take the dog for walks out there in the winter,especially when the water is low.You can see old homesteads,and that old road is covered with scars from being hit by props...looks like stitches.Didn't you post some pics of props broke and buried in stumps from that area?

BTW,the land around there is good for rabbit hunting,and some quail in the area.Lots of deer,but it would be a tough drag out.

Post Thanks / Like

Come Oct 15th a fella will have to use the free landings to get to those areas.
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished area 2 during the last tournament . It's a good spot , but it's where my jet drive sucked up a large chunk of wood from hitting a stump and I had to idle back to the ramp . It's a tricky run . Best to idle through and take your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TnRidge View Post
    I fished area 2 during the last tournament . It's a good spot , but it's where my jet drive sucked up a large chunk of wood from hitting a stump and I had to idle back to the ramp . It's a tricky run . Best to idle through and take your time.
    Scott how's the lower unit? It working OK?

Post Thanks / Like

Alex, I really like the area directly south of #1 hugging the east shore. I heard there are some foundations over there also, and the trees are now showing and I just travel about 300 yards depending on the wind direction covering each tree. Nice area for some keepers, but has been tougher now than a few weeks ago. It spans from where we were talking (south end) straight north.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apkape View Post
    Scott how's the lower unit? It working OK?
    It's working fine since I took off the jet foot and cleaned out the debris from the intake .