Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worm Hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worm Hunting

Well I havent thought of this in years until today. I saw someone doing it under a big oak tree this morning and thought I'd share.

When I was a kid my Uncle would take us fishing every summer but we had to get bait first. This was his method of getting a hundred worms in a few minutes of work.

We'd get on his tractor and ride it out on his property to a group of trees. Under those trees we'd pour out two 5 gallon buckets of water. Then he'd make me and my brother get up on the tractor so we weren't standing on the ground and he'd hook 2 wires up to a spare battery on the tractor. One to the negative and one to the positive. At the other end of the wires were short wood handles he had formed out of a broom handle or something like that. Each handle had a metal rod coming out of it and the wire connected to the rod. He'd push the rods into the ground(mind you he had big rubber boots on) and space them 4 feet apart or so. Had to make sure to place them where the water was dumped on the ground.

Well you can guess the rest, after a couple of minutes there was a ton of big fat worms on the top and he pulled up the rods and we jumped down off the tractor to gather them up.
    I don't really know if we bagged a hundred at a time but it seemed like a lot and we never ran out of bait.

That was years and years ago but this morning right down the road from my house I saw a guy using what looked like a 6 volt battery and some wires under a big oak tree. He had a coffee can sitting on his tailgate and I didn't stop but it made me think of my crazy uncle.

Also please note: I do NOT recommend you do this as I'm sure if you don't insulate yourself it could probably kill you.

My wifes grandfather uses a chainsaw with the chain removed. He sticks the chain holder part of the chainsaw into the ground and cranks it up and revs it at full speed. Doesnt take long for the worms to run out of the ground that way. I just can't see wasting a hundred dollar chainsaw on worm gathering, lol.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool.lol.I think that raising them in a bin is easier.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azslabber View Post
    Cool.lol.I think that raising them in a bin is easier.
    And much safer. Go to bait store and get 4 doz red worms to start. Put them in a bin, covered bucket, or worm farm. 30 days later you should have at least 500 to fish with.

Keep the soil damp with damp newspaper or burlap. Shredded newspaper, garden soil, manure, Crushed dried eggshells, and peat makes a great soil mixture. Feed them corn meal.

Take what you need to go fishing and let the rest continue making new babies for you.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice Ship.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    And much safer. Go to bait store and get 4 doz red worms to start. Put them in a bin, covered bucket, or worm farm. 30 days later you should have at least 500 to fish with.

Keep the soil damp with damp newspaper or burlap. Shredded newspaper, garden soil, manure, Crushed dried eggshells, and peat makes a great soil mixture. Feed them corn meal.

Take what you need to go fishing and let the rest continue making new babies for you.
    No I can't be reading this right, you are tuning 48 worms into 500 full size fishing worm in a month ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team M&M View Post
    Well I havent thought of this in years until today. I saw someone doing it under a big oak tree this morning and thought I'd share.

When I was a kid my Uncle would take us fishing every summer but we had to get bait first. This was his method of getting a hundred worms in a few minutes of work.

We'd get on his tractor and ride it out on his property to a group of trees. Under those trees we'd pour out two 5 gallon buckets of water. Then he'd make me and my brother get up on the tractor so we weren't standing on the ground and he'd hook 2 wires up to a spare battery on the tractor. One to the negative and one to the positive. At the other end of the wires were short wood handles he had formed out of a broom handle or something like that. Each handle had a metal rod coming out of it and the wire connected to the rod. He'd push the rods into the ground(mind you he had big rubber boots on) and space them 4 feet apart or so. Had to make sure to place them where the water was dumped on the ground.

Well you can guess the rest, after a couple of minutes there was a ton of big fat worms on the top and he pulled up the rods and we jumped down off the tractor to gather them up.
    I don't really know if we bagged a hundred at a time but it seemed like a lot and we never ran out of bait.

That was years and years ago but this morning right down the road from my house I saw a guy using what looked like a 6 volt battery and some wires under a big oak tree. He had a coffee can sitting on his tailgate and I didn't stop but it made me think of my crazy uncle.

Also please note: I do NOT recommend you do this as I'm sure if you don't insulate yourself it could probably kill you.

My wifes grandfather uses a chainsaw with the chain removed. He sticks the chain holder part of the chainsaw into the ground and cranks it up and revs it at full speed. Doesnt take long for the worms to run out of the ground that way. I just can't see wasting a hundred dollar chainsaw on worm gathering, lol.
    They used to sell an Electric "Worm Getter" and I tried to find one online only to find out that they had all been recalled.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    No I can't be reading this right, you are tuning 48 worms into 500 full size fishing worm in a month ?
    I would say it would take more like a season (3 months).

Y'all do realize that using live bait is extremely primitive... right?
    Last edited by GCD; 08-21-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    They used to sell an Electric "Worm Getter" and I tried to find one online only to find out that they had all been recalled.

I would say it would take more like a season (3 months).

Y'all do realize that using live bait is extremely primitive... right?
    huh i wonder why they were recalled its only playing with electricity and water
    "the objective of war is not to die for your country but to make that sorry sob die for his" General Patton

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    Listen to "Old Ship" he does not lie.......his background is a preacher.
    :D
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob # 1 View Post
    true (maybe) but he is a fisherman
    "the objective of war is not to die for your country but to make that sorry sob die for his" General Patton

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob # 1 View Post
    No no my friend.......not his background......its his calling.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast