Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Douglas Lake

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Douglas Lake

Hey all you guys that fish Douglas Lake I am new to Tennesse and drove over from Knoxville to Douglas Lake yesterday went to the TVA Dam and the water on that side of the dam was running pretty swift is that where you guys fish? It has a boat launch but the guys with the smaller boats where having problems loading with the strong currents. I did'nt have alot of time since I was suppose to be driving threw the mountains sight seeing with my Wife but noticed the lake on the other side, but dont know how to get to it. Can you guys give me any advise where you launch and is it always that low? By the way I exited on exit 20 onto Route 66 and went towards Seiverville then took left at signs that say TVA Douglas Dam. It took me to the Dam. Nice little camping area there and them men were catching cats in close to the dam. I got about another month before I will be able to go fishing and would like to know where to put in at the lake and some camping sites that some of you know about. Any help would be appreciated thanks. Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Howdy, Pard....take HWY 66 towards Sevierville...turn left at the signs that say TVA Douglas Dam...you'll pass a good bait/tackle shop called "Wishing I Was Fishing" on the right.....continue for about 5 miles to the saddle dam and marina...go on past into the main TVA campground at the headwaters...there is a very good concrete launch ramp there, with floating dock...a lot of folks put in there, or if you wanna put in further up into Flat Creek, you take Allensville Road off Rt 66 and it will take you to Millican Grove launch ramp (not fancy...just dirt)...the lake is in winter drawdown now...will slowly rise throughout the next 2-3 months to near full pool....should stay that way until early fall this year...TVA/TWRA agreed to keep the lake up at recreational levels longer last year...hope this helps...I used to fish Douglas quite a bit, but I now live on Norris Lake...

Bushrod :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bushrod I have been to Norris too. There I went to the dam also. Same thing, I only got to dam cause I dont know how to get to anything else. I met a guy who also has land on Douglas but I havent been to it yet but maybe in near furure He and I can take a drive and see some more of it and some different Camping places that is on the lake instead of way up on a hill overlooking it. They fish below dam too for trout. I also like trout fishing so this looks like Norris has it all. He aint no Crappie fish man either lol. But he gets em on the spawn just fishes for Walleye and Stripers and lots of Brim. And they say it is very clear and clean. I have heard of some folks say that Douglas is a better Crappie lake. I have also been to Watts Bar and Telico just riding and looking and they also look good to me? I am a learning lol. Sure is some good looking places on this lake here in Knoxville too but everyone say they would not eat fish caught there. Why is that? I see alot of Habitat from road in it and some Stack beds. So someone is fishing it. Maybe just Catchum and Releaseum. I like to Catchum and Eatum lol. Thanks for the reply. Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Hey drift wood welcome to east Tn. The reason everyone says not to eat the fish out of Ft. Loudon is because of the pcbs and other contaminents. The lake is alot cleaner than it used to be, and TWRA is about to lift the cautions on eating fish. It was mostly bottom feeders that were contaminated,but also largemoth bass, sauger and striper. Crappie were not on the list because they have very little fat on them and that is where the contaminents are in fish. I have eaten crappie out of loudon before, just don't eat the catfish.
    when I grow up I want to be, one of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info and I will be in touch with yall again.

stewart2727 Guest

There are several othr places to camp at douglas if you go as far as dandridge and white pine. Take 81 off of 40e look for the exits. The are right off the interstate. You may want to check out Indian Creek when the water warms this spring. Ive caught several slabs there. There is a slide in the water just before you get there on the right. Caught the biggest crappie of my life there 17.5''