Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: Do You Think We Could Have A Nuclear Attack?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 76.92%
  • Yes, but not within the next few years.

3 11.54%
  • Yes, but it would be at least 10 years, maybe 20

1 3.85%
  • No

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nuclear Attack On America?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nuclear Attack On America?

If in the not too distant future there was an attack on America by some terrorist's group that used a nuclear weapon, would you be prepared for the aftermath?

I'd like to see your responses to some of these subjects:

(1) Survival
    A: Food and Supplies
    B: Transportation
    C: Communications
    D: Fresh Water

(2) Defense
    A: Protecting yourself, your family, and your food/supplies
    B: Arms and ammo (how much is enough in your opinion)
    C: Adequate barriers against intruders; safe rooms, fences, gates, and safety doors, etc...

(3) Planning
    A: Family planning
    B: Personal planning
    C: Planning for extended family members such as a pre-planned meeting place for the entire group.

Let me share some of my thoughts as to why I posted this article at this time.

Pakistan is experiencing massive flooding as we have seen in the news lately and their leader is under intense pressure to help the civilians suffering from starvation and lack of medical care. He's becoming more unpopular by the day and could lose his support to be leader. He could even experience an overthrow of his government by Islamic fanatics or his own military.

The problem being if such an event took place, Pakistan has a large inventory of nuclear weapons and it is in the best interest of the United States to keep these weapons out of the hands of America's enemies.

If by chance, one or more of these nukes were smuggled into America and used in strategic places, we would find ourselves on our own. No one is going to come to our rescue. If you believe our government would be any help, then ask the citizens of New Orleans what happened post Katrina. Or the citizens along the gulf that experienced 1st hand how ineffective our government was after the oil spill.

So, the denonation of a nuclear bomb would set off a chain of events across The United States that would take months to correct. The grid would most certainly go down and there would be no electricity at your home or anywhere else.

No television news reports to inform the citizens of current conditions or new possible threats. We might have to rely on battery powered short wave radio receivers and not much more.

Food marketing in this country is quite different now than what it was 20 years ago. Due to computers, most mega-markets do not carry much inventory. Grocers like Wal-Mart rely on daily transmissions sent to the warehouses for how much food went across the check out lane (scanned and all that info is the basis for restocking). Warehouses send out trucks daily to replenish stocks across their network of stores.

So, at best, there may be enough food in a large mega-market to feed everyone for a couple of days, then it is gone. In a crisis, there is no guarantee of when supplies would be restocked. Might takes months.

So all us could find ourselves (6) meals away from groceries and that's only if you're one of the lucky ones able to get into one of the mega-markets and fight your way through and purchase as much as you could pile into your shopping cart. I think it would be mass chaos and violence would be the rule of the day.

People will not suffer through being hungry. Let's face it folks, Americans are spoiled with the ease of having food and plenty of it. The latest generation has no idea of how it feels to be without food.

Back in the depression, my father told me that after a few years, hunters could not find anything to kill. No rabbits, no deer, no waterfowl. He said it even got extremely difficult to catch fish. Everyone was hungry and worked very hard at trying to find anything to bring home to their families.

So, how are you going to feed yourself and your family? You're not going to be able to buy food and after a while, you won't be able to find any wildlife or fish.

What are you going to do?

I'm wanting a discussion from anyone willing to share their thoughts and their ideas. I'd like us to be able to share our knowledge base and skills for survival. If you know how to smoke meat or can vegetables, then please let us know.

If the grid went down, I'd like to know how to smoke or cure meat to keep it from spoiling. I have no idea of how to prepare most foods to keep them from going bad if the electricity was off for months.

I like to eat and I don't want to go without. I don't think any of you do either.

Share your thoughts please and keep politics out of the conversation. Our government will not be the deciding factor (past, present, or future) for our survival.
    Last edited by Stinkfinger; 08-19-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

If there was a Nuke Attack on the US. Smuggled in Nuke or otherwise I think all the buttons are going to be pressed so to speak... I'm not to sure if I would want to live in the aftermath of that. Could be a very slow painful death .. I think I'd rather just go in a flash and not feel a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Stink - The heat gettin to you?????

Post Thanks / Like

Redboat, the scenario I have proposed is for a limited attack that temporarily disrupts the flow of things.

I'd like to hear ideas regarding survival and what plans or methods the members in this forum have thought about.

If you haven't thought about, perhaps you should. There are multiple forums regarding survival and these folks are very, very serious about this. Matter of fact, they are so serious that I think most of them are obsessed with these thoughts 24/7 and too radical for this ol country boy.

I wanted to receive some input and thoughts from the members here regarding survival skills if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones not at ground zero.

George, this could actually turn out to be an interesting topic if people respect what might be at stake and also that i'm being sincere in my questions.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Will this nuke attack kill the fish. It not, I aint going hungry.:rolleyes::D:D:D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nuke Attack

Stink i think your on the right tract, those that are not taking this Serious Really should, I agree with you, we are working on some things here. I think one of the main problems are that most of us don't have a place to store what we will need, to be able to keep it fresh enough to be eaten, or drank.

D. Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    Will this nuke attack kill the fish. It not, I aint going hungry.:rolleyes::D:D:D
    Gab, please re-read if necessary, I didn't say a nuclear blast is going to kill the fish, I mentioned that my father had lived during the depression and game was hunted til it virtually disappeared and yes, the fishing got really hard because you had so many people fishing that the supply dwindled during the depression.

This post is intended to survey what people have considered for survival if food could not be purchased at grocery stores for a few months.

This is not a "doomsday" scenario, just a glance at the day after a nuclear weapon totally disrupted the nations communications and electricity grid.

EMP (electro magnetic pulse) could potentially fry every communication device within several hundred miles of a nuclear blast, including orbiting satellites, and put us all in the dark when it came to knowing what was going on at any given moment.

If a snake can disrupt an entire grid by shorting out a major sub station that supplies power to the entire Northeast, then imagine what a nuclear blast could do.

Most states are interconnected to the grid, so if one state goes down, so do the rest. Texas is the only state in the union that is completely within its own grid and does not rely of the power from other states. Down side of that is, if Texas loses it grid, its not likely to be able to receive temporary or emergency power from other suppliers.

To give you an understanding of the necessity of having power, just unplug your fridge and then sit down. While you're sitting in your easy chair, try and figure out how you're going to keep your "perishables" from going bad. Now imagine that the fridge might not come on for months.

This is not a real difficult drill, just a way to spark some thoughts and hopefully, it might prepare a few people to begin to think that someday they may be faced with some difficult decisions.

Minnowman, thanks for your input. I don't suggest anyone start stockpiling vast amounts of food like the Mormans do. They are required to have at least a one years supply at any given time. To me, this would be a nightmare and very expensive and out of the reach of the common person.

I think a two or three week supply would be of great benefit and that amount of food wouldn't take up too much room. It would all fit into a closet or large pantry.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats The Point Of Living Like A Hermit Underground, And Hiding From The World. I Would Be Helping Anyone I Could In Any Which Way I Can, And Enjoy The Rest Of My Time Here, If Youre Right With The Lord, It Wouldnt Matter How You Went Down. I Fear It Would Be Slow And Painful. But I Think 99% Of The People In The World Would Succomb To Vigilantes Before The Radiation Cloud Settles In.

400lb Gorilla: That's My Opinion I Could Be Wrong!!:d
    ~KIDS IN THE FRONT SEAT CAUSES ACCIDENTS, ACCIDENTS IN THE BACK SEAT CAUSES KIDS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re! I Didnt Read It The Right Way Either. I Percieved It As A Doomsday Scenario.
    ~KIDS IN THE FRONT SEAT CAUSES ACCIDENTS, ACCIDENTS IN THE BACK SEAT CAUSES KIDS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Chance, I'm not talking about Armageddon, I'm asking what people would do to be prepared in case our grid went down, our stores were emptied of food, and none of us knew the extent of the tragedy.

Does anyone remember what happened that Tuesday evening after the attacks of 9/11? Remember what happened at gas pumps across the land? The price of fuel skyrocketed within a matter of hours. People were in a state of panic because at that time, no one knew for sure if the attack was limited or a full scale attack.

Now, later we know it was an orchestrated attack by a mob of 19 terrorists, but at the time, we didn't know how many attacks were planned for that day or the next.

People began to buy gasoline even as the price climbed to around $5 per gallon. Filling gas cans and even 55 gallon drums. No one knew if gasoline would be available in the days to come.

Panic......... that's the thing people are going to have to deal with. General mass hysteria where the public goes wild and empties every grocery store of food and drains every gallon of gas available.

So, the topic remains, what would you do in this situation? How prepared are you and have you had any thoughts of what you can do before or after an attack.

Because in my mind, I do believe eventually a nuclear device of some sort will be used against this country and I think the aftermath will be panic on a grand scale such has never been seen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast