Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: anyone else try to catch crappie topwater?

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone else try to catch crappie topwater?

When the water warms and the fish are real active I like to target crappie for top water. A buddy of mine would not believe me back when I started, but he now believes. I usually start casting mini spinner baits. When thay start hit'm hard, I break out the top water plugs. At this time bigger is better for lures. When I started catch'n them like that, I said no body will believe me. I've never heard anybody else say the catch'm like that. Just thought I'd ask, since I put how I like to fish on a couple threads, wouldn't want you to think I's ly'n.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

One of the largest crappie i've caught was on a 3 1/2" Shad colered Pop R. But they don't hit top water for (me) very often, though I never really targeted crappie on top. Something to think about this spring maybe...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Your right it isn't very often I actually git 'bout one week a year. Fun though, breaks up the normal stuff a little. I'm tell'n ya though they are some nice'n's.
    I got a picture here... done scanned it... loaded it... nothing... I'll try it again later. It's a stringer of fish I caught top water. Sorry
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to fly fish for bluegill when the water warms and have caught quite a few crappie on poppin flies.

Post Thanks / Like

In the fall I sometimes catch a crappie or two when I'm fishing the surface for walleyes with a 3 hook storm thunderstick. If the walleye are slow I then switch to a yellow rebel grasshopper mini crankbait and catch a few crappie that are hitting the surface. I just pull it fast enough for it to wobble and it stays on the surface.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, man that's what I' talk'n bout. I love catch'n crappie, but it tickles me a over when they hit top water.