Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Side Dish for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Side Dish for Crappie

For those that like cabbage or even if you do not you might like it fixed this way. It is my Mom's recipe and was from her Mom. The best thing is it is easy.

Cast Iron skillet is what I use.

Cook 5 or so slices of Bacon till crisp. Remove from shillet and chop it up into small pieces set it aside. Chop a head of Cabbage like you would for slaw, fine. Put it into the skillet with the Bacon drippien's and start to cook it. Add about one level teaspoon of sugar or less, not to much. Add half a cup of water and cook for about 20 minutes on low covered. Stir it now and then. After about 20 minutes throw the Bacon back in and stir it up. Add a large spoon full of butter and stir that in. Salt and pepper to taste. You can also use Ham in it to. This way of cooking the cabbage takes any bitterness out of it and it is sure good. We love it this way. Hope you do to. Ron

PS: No one said it was a slimming dish.

Post Thanks / Like

Your making my mouth water, quit.
    The Crappie are always biting better yesterday - I'm always a day late.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds good. It sounds like your doing the same thing I do, just differently. I buy a box of the Reynolds Aluminum cooking bags and quarter a head of cabbage and slice up three or four red potatoes and a large yellow onion and add all to the bag with some Tones garlic pepper and put this on the grill or in the over on 400-425 for 30-40 minutes. Pull it out and shake up once or twice to keep from sticking. You can coat the bag with a little pam in the beginning to help the sticking. Once your done all you need to do is put it on a tray, cut a hole in the top to rip it open and dig in. So simple and so good. We also do this without the cabbage and add a couple of good chunks of velveta at the end for the onions and potatoes. OOOOHHHHHHWWWWEEEEEEE!!!! Good Stuff!!! I guess I just decided what I am having for dinner tonight!