Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the BEST artificial lure for crappie & best way to fish it???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats the BEST artificial lure for crappie & best way to fish it???

Is it a small tube bait, feather jig, twister tail grub, maybe a road runner.....????
    I'd like to find out what anyone thinks is the best (or just there favorite) artificial lure for crappie. Please include color, size and how you fish it.....
    Thanks for any advice............
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Horsehead spinners. Curly grub, chartruese, and chartruese pearl. I use pearl white a lot. Slow presentation. Spider rigg'n. Several small cranks 'bout half to inch long. Slow also. My favorite, but don't get to use often is a four inch broke back on top water, lotta fun and their usually nice crappies.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

mizmo tubes with unpainted wobble eye jig head - anything with chartreuse generally works well
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 oz. Minnow head Jig with A Chart/orange or any combo with chartruese. Cast it, Count it, And A nice slow retreive!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Depends on "how" I'm fishing ....

open water casting - 1/32oz Roadrunner (1-6ft) 1/16oz Roadrunner (6-15ft)
    wood cover casting - 1/32-1/16oz weedless jighead & 1.5" tube body or Panfish Assassin
    dock shooting - 1/32-1/16oz weedless jighead & Panfish Assassin
    vertical casting - 1/16oz marabou jig
    vertical tightline - #4 Gremlin clamp-on sinker, #1 Eagle Claw light wire bronze hook, lively minnow - Shad - Brook Silverside

That's about all the methods I employ, on any routine basis

Colors change ... but, White - Pink - Chartreuse are hard to beat (and most any other color w/Chartreuse !!)

The great thing about Crappie, is they'll hit some of the most mundane baits ... and some of the "purtiest" baits ... and some of the most butt ugly baits ... big baits ... little tiny baits ... live bait ... recently deceased bait ... and so on :D .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default tube worm

1 1/2" red and white tube worm. I have had good luck with these.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I include all jig's in one group so that is the best lure in my book, a Jig. Let the fish tell you which one is best on the day you are fishing. :D Ron

PS: In truth there is "NO" wrong way to fish jig either. LOL
    Last edited by MTM; 01-29-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default bait

Probably for me a tube or a sassy shad, in some chartruese color combo. Always matched to the size of the bait they are feeding on 1" - 3" or bigger.....on a weedless head, fished so slow you can hardly stand it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It depends on a number of factors, sort of the way crappiepappy described his choices. I like 1/16 oz roadrunners in white/chartruse colors fished very slow on bright days, darker colors on cloudy days.There are plenty of ways to catch crappie and many of them require a different bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My preferences

I like 1/32 mostly and 1/16 alot in tube jigs or hair jigs. Blue and white tube is my all time favorite, but I like a Miss hair jig(white/chart/orange) almost as much. I change colors and jigs several dozen times on each trip to find what and how they want it. I vertical jig with 2 poles fishing different depths until I find where the most bites are. Real slow lite bumping action during the winter and sometimes dead still. Spring and summer I keep them moving a little more. Almost everytime, I fish my jigs down, meaning I ease it down about 2 ft stop and jig a time or 2 and then ease it down 2 more feet and keep doing that till I find where they are at. Sometimes I pitch the jig out the end of my line (10-16ft) and let it slow fall to me in a slow trolling type action, raising my pole slightly to keep it at a certain depth the whole time. Usually my color choice depends on the sky, the water color, and what I haven't fished yet. Main thing is if I'm not catching fish, then I'm trying something different.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast