Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Summer Patience??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer Patience??

The past month or so of summer-pattern fishing has got me thinking (a dangerous thing for sure), do the fish take more 'coaxing' to bite in summer compared to when there are cooler water temps? We been dipping trees like we do at other times of the year, get the jig down to a certain depth, giving it a twitch or two or three, if no strike then bring it up a few turns and do it again. We tend to do a lot of tree jumping. Just wondering, should we be leaving the jig at depth longer? I sometimes get the feeling that we give up too soon, and maybe should be leaving our bait in the water longer before moving on. Should we be slowing things down in summer?
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to depend on the slow rise the hotter the weather, drop the jig to the bottom slow rise up till the bite once the bite is found I mark my line with a majic marker and drop the jig to the same depth, a lot of the bite depends on where the freshes water is,thermocline as it were, we slow troll a lot and do verry well in hot weather just move arround the coves or points till we find fish and work an ares dragging a jig 4 to 8 feet deep if no bite slow down if no bite speed up somewhere inbetween they will bite , remember what your doing and repeat as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default most summer bites here on truman

and I say most, is a very aggressive bite, if using a 1/16 oz jig many will hit it on the drop and usually less than 8' down and a lot at 6'.... this summer has been a whole new ball game, the extended heat has really messed them up, a lot of times they want the jig on the swing or move your jig a couple feet to the right or left once you are down to a decent depth and that can trigger a hit...... I find cold front days in the winter some times you really have to work it super slow like half a crank at a time working your way up from the bottom..... now you know as much as I know........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

wish i did

Post Thanks / Like

if the fish is home when you drop it down he will hit it,like monty said firs 6/8feet is the normal bite,most of the time im only in 6 fow...you probaly heard me say this before...stay on the move an he who hits the most trees catches the most fish..but the honey hole trees you may want to hang around a little longer....

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen Kaz hold it still a long time and then come up with fish.On those days the fish just aren't very agressive I think he just dares them to bite. Or Monty it might be the duck call he uses maybe its a fish call.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Sure Dave, anyone that's fished with me knows that about me,,,,,,patient, mellow, laid back, etc. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen it take several methods, not necessarily on Truman because I've not fished it but once. A lot of times on Stockton in the spring you can hold it for quite awhile on one tree and finally get a bite and then on the next tree it hardly reaches the depth you're trying to fish and thump! I don't have a lot of patience so I tend to move from tree to tree pretty quickly. I usually let the fish tell me how they like it and I might even try several different methods on the same area before moving on. I do have to say probably my favorite way of getting bit is swinging it past the tree and letting it pendulum back to it and when it gets there feeling that all familiar thump.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the style of fishin we've been pullin cranks 1.7-2.0mph and have been catching limits,vertical fishin i just experiment and let the fish tell me what they want.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

i let the fish tell me what they want, and thats cooler weather