Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville 8/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 8/16

Well with all the boat remodelling, trip to FL and getting my son off to college, today was the first serious fishing trip of the year. I started about 4pm and hit one of my favorite trees above the Camp Branch bridge. Not even a tap. I was afraid I was going to repeat Alex's day yesterday. So I headed out on the main lake figuring I'd try the white bass. But first I decided to try my one group of trees off the main lake that have been good to me in the past. An hour and a half later and there's a limit in the boat. First limit harvested this year.

The bite was tough. They didn't want vertical jigging or a retrieve, but I'd cast 6 feet or so past the tree and just let it fall back towards me and past the tree and thump. I probably caught five fish jigging and ten letting the jig swing back to me. I used a 1/4 oz chartruese jig head with blue and white jig.

They weren't huge, 9 1/4 to 10 imches, but I bet Alex wouldn't have minded! All in all not a bad afternoon. The weather was great and I caught some fish. Tomorrow we dine!

Post Thanks / Like

one other thing. They were in 12 feet of water and down about 5 to 6 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

One last thing. They were in 12 fow and 5-6 feet down.

Post Thanks / Like

Good work on your limit,those fish must be fairly aggresive to smack a 1/4 oz jig swingin past em.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Good job.
    I went out in the morning by Plattsburg.Found them about the same depth....10 fow about half way down,they wanted it under a float with a slow,steady retrive.Not 1 keeper out of 50 or so.After a while for grins I started measuring them,they were all between 8 and 8.5,none under or over.I guess they were schooled up by age group?

Did see tons of black clouds of fish fry swimming around(not shad)couldn't tell what they were,but they were everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrads on catching your limit. I hope one of these days Grandpa and I can get our limits on crappie that are keepers. Still haven't found our spot yet after being all over the lake. If anyone sees a black Cobra with a 90 horse Merc stop by and say hi.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good one to me. Congrats.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you found them Jake. I've found the fish bite better close the main lake, from W bridge on up the lake. I went back Sunday night and were catching some fish in the small coves just north of the old Trimble Lake. Anything north of the Lynn/Roberts Branch/Plattsburge Y off, the bite wasn't very good.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

good report MOfishmgr nice to get out and getting a mess of fish well that is just a heck of a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you finally got to get out Jake and a limit to boot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast